Why become a member? ×

Aguilar AG500sc ...*SOLD*
£350

I have recently upgraded to a TH500 head & can no longer justify keeping this AG 500 sc. So I am selling it on...
I've used a lot of different gear over the years & I've found that the Aguilar tone suits me really well.

What I will say about this amp is this... I think that Aguilar made a brilliant amp when they put out the AG 500 heads, such great tone & so easy to dial it up... The only issue I have experienced with this amp is with the protection modes... Overcurrent & Thermal/DC.

I found that running at 4 ohms & sometimes when using various boosting pedals, dirt etc.. the overcurrent protection mode kicked in with a bit of a hair trigger causing me to have to power cycle the amp to reset.... Probably not something that occurs with other people [i](I have friends with the same head that do not experience this & maybe I do dig in a bit hard sometimes!) [/i]
I've never experienced it running one cab at 8 ohms though.... I just wanted to mention that & be honest about my experience...

So I'm selling at a very reasonable price with a Gator bag thrown in.... [b]£350 [/b]

Would prefer to meet to do the deal [i](I travel all over a fair bit so this could be possible)[/i] but will ship with the cost of that added....

[b]*SOLD Pending the usual*......[/b]

Edited by bottomfeed

..... Have I put everyone off mentioning the overcurrent issue?
Let me add that it occurred very infrequently..[i]. ( 3 times in 2 years)[/i]
The amp is good & delivers punchy, warm, fat Aguilar tone by the spadeful....

Here, here, I've finally settled for one of these. Over the past couple of months I've tried the EBS TD650, TC elec 750' TWO Aguilar TH500's and prefer the AG500 overall - it has a BIG transformer and I think that's where the clout comes from.
The AG500 has a creamy American tone, very loud and clear and is a perfect match for my two TC RS210 cabs, which are very warm and require a lot of driving. The cabs were used throughout the comparison.
I think people get too excited over new stuff. If I was the Aguilar rep, I would say that the TH500 is better than the AG500, obviously, it's a current model. - only my opinion, you also need a real bass guitar.

Just thought I'd give you a jump and a bump.

Thanks for the bumps..... hmm, got me thinking.... it is such a great sound... What I miss from the AG with the Tone Hammer is the low & high mid controls. I used to have the deep & high boost buttons in too... none of that with the TH.....

[quote name='bottomfeed' timestamp='1436470036' post='2818468']
Thanks for the bumps..... hmm, got me thinking.... it is such a great sound... What I miss from the AG with the Tone Hammer is the low & high mid controls. I used to have the deep & high boost buttons in too... none of that with the TH.....
[/quote]

I A/B ed the Tonehammer versus mij AG500, and realized that the 'completeness', warmth and power of the AG is by far over classing the Tonehammer. It just sounds better to my opinion.

Keep it, you won't regret it.. I actually played my AG500 last weekend, in favour of the DB750 I also own, just to see whether I would still be satisfied.. Boy, was i ;)