Why become a member? ×

Looking for an effect that replicates the sub-harmonic on my Ashdown Mag-300

Naetharu

Hi folks,

Being new to bass I am not very clean on what all the different effects are yet. I\ve been playing on an Ashdown Mag-300 amp and it has a rather nice feature called a 'Sub Harmonic' which seems to place a subtle deep note about an octave below what you play thickening up the sound. I'm keen to use my lighter amp most of the time since the MAG is a beast to move around, so I'm wondering if there is an effects pedal that I could get to replicate the sub-harmonics?

I've tried a friends behrenger octaver but that seemed to be quite different - it sounded much more like a 'special effect' where as the Ashdown MAG setting is very subtle and just thickens up the tone nicely.

Any help would be much appreciated

James

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1435760296' post='2812193']
There's an OC-2 for sale in the Effects For Sale forum at the moment. Get that! :)

Si
[/quote]

That.
Or the MarkBass Octaver for a cleaner type of octave with better tracking. But the OC-2 sounds great,

I used an Ashdown Mag and an OC-2 together for several years, and I don't think they sound that similar. The OC-2 is much more synthy and obvious sounding, even with the mix down low. I liked the OC-2 more, which is why I rarely used the sub-harmonic button on the Ashdown, but I'd say that the two are more different than you might expect. I think they generate the octave down in the same way, but the Ashdown filters much more of the harmonics out of it.

Aye, its that thick subtle sound that I am really after. I don't really want a 'special effect' sound but rather something that can just thicken up the tone. I'm going to try and find a store that has one of the Dr. Green Octo-Dose pedals that someone mentioned above. Sounds like that might be just the ticket.

I use an EHX POG-2 to thicken my sound up, it sounds a lot like what you're after but very flexible. Takes a bit of playing to work out how to get the tone you want but when you get it sussed you can get everything from subtle sweetening to mad organ sounds.

I don't know if it works in the same way as the one on the amp, but Ashdown make an octave pedal:

http://www.soundsgreatmusic.com/products/ashdown-sub-octave-plus?variant=818432395&gclid=CjwKEAjw5disBRCA5r7OjsK_-UgSJAC27JPg_Fu7D0Ya3EmXMGS2sFlDyAmSx4kciJyUsF4kVmlPWRoCBWLw_wcB

I'd imagine the Ashdown octave is a similar circuit, however I found the Aguilar octamiser did the thickening sound very well (as well as many other fantastic tones). My fave is still the OC2 though 😆