Why become a member? ×

Effects pedals - batteries in or out?

John Cellario

To drive my MXR Bass Chorus & Octivider I have been using Duracell 9v batteries which don't seem to last long. So, I have just purchased a Pedaltrain Volto re-chargeable power supply.

One person has told me to remove the Duracell battery as it is not needed to make a circuit, in fact, best to remove them to prevent corrosion.

Another person maintains you need to leave the battery in, properly charged in order to make a circuit.

Who is correct...will the effects work without the Duracell battery? (Am still charging the Volto for the first time so cannot experiment myself.)

Thanks in advance.

Edited by John Cellario

leave the 9v out, especially if its not rechargeable. Plugging in a power supply in to a pedal with a non-rechargeable battery in it can cause the battery to leak and damage the pedal.
I have quite a few pedals on my board that take batteries, all plugged into my power supply without batteries in them.

Another thing to note is that when you have a jack plugged into a pedal with a battery, the battery will keep the pedal on. This means the battery will drain unless you unplug your patch leads when not in use. I would also unplug the volto when your board is not in use.

Edit: ive never used a MXR pedal, but i see no reason that they would be any different to any other pedal ive used. You could also contact their customer service, but im sure they'd mirror what ive said.

Edited by elephantgrey

Leave them out. The only advantage I can think of is if you have a power failure on the pedalboard during a gig. This would seem unlikely (as power cuts would turn the amp etc off too, so it would be a power supply failure or similar) and also would only work if all the pedals have battery connectors or otherwise all were true bypass, and the 9v plugs were disconnected.

Edited by Kev

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1435693460' post='2811597']

Another thing to note is that when you have a jack plugged into a pedal with a battery, the battery will keep the pedal on. This means the battery will drain unless you unplug your patch leads when not in use. I would also unplug the volto when your board is not in use.

[/quote]

This would only happen if you also unplugged the 9V. Having a lead plugged into the 9V disconnects the battery in most pedals, regardless of whether the power us on or not, so you don't need to unplug the patches.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1435695649' post='2811629']
This would only happen if you also unplugged the 9V. Having a lead plugged into the 9V disconnects the battery in most pedals, regardless of whether the power us on or not, so you don't need to unplug the patches.
[/quote]

I did not know that.

Most pedals, once you plug in a power supply, essentially remove the battery from the circuit. So it matters not one jot whether you leave them in or take them out, if you have a PSU plugged in.

Of course, there is the argument FOR leaving the batteries in, if your PSU goes down mid-gig, all you have to do is unplug the power lead, the battery takes over.

Though saying that, if your PSU goes down mid-gig, there's probably been a power cut, so no one would be able to hear you anyway. :D