Why become a member? ×

MARKBASS... LITTLE MARK III 500? TRAVELER 102P? STANDARD 104HR?

Greg.Bassman

Purely personal preference here, and it's one that appears to put me in a minority, but I don't enjoy playing Markbass heads with Barefaced cabs as much as I do with matching Markbass ones. Obviously I can only base that on what I own (G2 Midget vs NY121 with the tweeter off for smaller gigs, or G2 Super Twelve vs CMD121p + NY121 extension for larger ones) and it could be because I owned Markbass gear before I owned any Barefaced, but a matching amp and cab sounds 'like a Markbass rig' to me, and something of that gets lost when I swap the cab out.

I love the MarkBass Traveler cabs, I've got the 1x15 and the 2x10, but before anyone comments about mixed speakers, I'm using a sansamp + stereo power amp, so they are not really "mixed" - there's an amp per speaker essentially, which to me sounds very good, you get the "wider" tone from the 2 speakers but neither speaker even knows the other one is there. That wouldn't be how you would be running them I think though.

The 2x10 will do a small gig on it's own, and they are both just amazing for the weight. I'm sorted for speakers for a long time now. Having just the 2x10 though... well, I'm not sure it would be enough for me.

How about 2 x 2x10s if the amp does 4ohm, then you can just use one if it's a small gig, both for bigger gigs. You can carry one in each hand as easily as carrying a 4x10, and they're easier to load and store.

This is an interesting and well timed thread. I borrowed a Mark Bass 2x10 off a mate last night just to see what the fuss was all about.

I had a quick noodle last night and it does sound incredibly phat compared to my Hartke Hydrive 410. More side by side nonsense will continue today.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1435994513' post='2814177']
You want bottom? LMIII with a Barefaced Super 15 will see to that. Despite being a 2x15, it weighs very little. Discontinued, though. ..
[/quote]

The Super Twin does as much bottom and the Big Twin 2 does more! :)