Why become a member? ×

First time gigging - any good tips?

Naetharu

[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1435674945' post='2811292']
Nerves are natural, everyone gets them to a degree. Trick is getting to the point where they keep you sharp, rather than negatively affecting you. Gigging is like anything - the more you do it, the easier it gets...
[/quote]

Getting nervous shows that you give a damn and it matters to you. Everyone should get nervous - but for some people it can be horrific! Try to keep some sense of perspective - it may be your first gig, but most of the punters will have been to hundreds and understand what it is like when bands are starting off. Most punters will cut you some slack as long as you treat them with respect.

Most important of all - try to [b][i]look[/i][/b] like you are enjoying yourselves - it's infectious! IME, audiences enjoy themselves far more when watching a lively band that make mistakes than a perfect band that look bored.

Good luck. Out of interest if you have been only playing for two months, how do you know what to play? Have you been learning songs by rote? Or do you already understand different keys and patterns? I am intrigued only because after a year I have still to gig.

Be fully rehearsed on the songs, make sure your gear is all working, and turn up early. Following those three simple things will remove any stress/worry/anxiety and hopefully enable you to simply enjoy the experience.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1435680445' post='2811383']
All of the above. You are quite likely to make a mistake, let it go, it happens to everyone. [b]Setting up always takes longer than you think, I'm normally done in 15-20 mins, but as a band it takes waaaay longer; give yourselves 2 hours and then relax if you finish early[/b]. Have plenty of multi-way plug boards as venues rarely have copious amount of outlets. If something doesn't appear to be working, don't assume the worst, it'll be something simple like a gain pot turned down or a jack unplugged; don't panic and have a torch handy. It's likely to be hot (British summer weather notwithstanding) take a spare shirt to change into before going on and you can change back afterwards; a small personal luxury, but, as mentioned above, check your flies after the change :D . Most importantly, enjoy it, have fun, it'll show in your playing.
[/quote]

Oooh. Well, I usually have to deal with 15-minute changeover times between sets, with 3 or 4 bands (or more) on.

IIf you're playing indie/metal/rock/etc in bars or clubs you need to be [b]fast[/b] with your changes - in fact the changeover is often more stressful than the gig itself. Get your stuff out so that you can get on stage as soon as previous band finished, and don't hang around once you're finished - talk to your mates after you get your gear off the stage, you'll have plenty of time after you've packed up! :)

You may also only get a line check so you need to know what you're up to even with dodgy monitoring.

All the rest is good advice, whatever the situation! ;)

Take a pair of scissors, a flathead/crosshead screwdriver, small adjustable spanner, spare 9V batteries if you use them for pedals etc, plasters, superglue and gaffa tape. It's the bass player's job to carry these items (cos no other f*cker bothers). Optional extras include soldering iron/solder and blu-tac.

You must also drive the van, know how to fix a head gasket at the side of a dark country road using only the above items plus old guitar strings, and round up the drummer afterwards to deposit in a heap in back of said van.

I have an old sports bag with a couple of side pockets. One has the above handy things, the other has spare strings ready to whip out and change as necessary. All my leads and stuff go in the main bit. Keep your leads tidily coiled up.

I always have a reasonably long power extension lead squirrelled away somewhere too - you'd be surprised how many pubs put bands on 5 metres from the nearest single wall socket!

(edit)Another thing - a couple of wooden wedge doorstops. Just little ones, but enough to hold doors open so you can transport your gear through without having to try and kick the door open at the same time. :) Remember to pick them up again ...

Edited by HengistPod

[quote name='HengistPod' timestamp='1435756079' post='2812143']...
(edit)Another thing - a couple of wooden wedge doorstops. Just little ones, but enough to hold doors open so you can transport your gear through without having to try and kick the door open at the same time. :) Remember to pick them up again ...
[/quote]

Surely that's the roadie's job..? :unsure:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Always try and make it look as though you are confident and enjoying what you are doing. Even the best bassists make mistakes but the great bassists know how to cover it up and look as tho they meant to play that bum note. :)

Most of all enjoy it for what it is.
Have fun and learn from the experience.

Hope it all goes swimmingly and you become addicted to it.

Dave

Try to convince, cajole, bribe someone to film the event, or, at the very least, take photos (preferably both...). You'll be embarrassed by the resulting clip when you're rich and famous, but you won't get a second chance of immortalizing that first gig. You'll be glad to look back on it all in 20 year's time.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1435674790' post='2811288']
Depends how old you are but I always nip for a pee before going onstage. Nothing worse than getting halfway through a set and getting *that* feeling.
[/quote]

This + dont drink too much + check your flies + if you can, look in a mirror just before you go on.
When your on, try and look the part, keep your head up and dont hide.

Dont worry about stage moves just yet, but remember that unless you exaggerate every move or expression nobody will notice.

If you hit a bum not or fluff a line or anything like that, forget it and press on. Odds on nobody will have noticed it, and if you think about it too much, apart from being a distraction it will spoil the gig for you.

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='HengistPod' timestamp='1435756079' post='2812143']
Take a pair of scissors, a flathead/crosshead screwdriver, small adjustable spanner, spare 9V batteries if you use them for pedals etc, plasters, superglue and gaffa tape. It's the bass player's job to carry these items (cos no other f*cker bothers). Optional extras include soldering iron/solder and blu-tac.

You must also drive the van, know how to fix a head gasket at the side of a dark country road using only the above items plus old guitar strings, and round up the drummer afterwards to deposit in a heap in back of said van.

I have an old sports bag with a couple of side pockets. One has the above handy things, the other has spare strings ready to whip out and change as necessary. All my leads and stuff go in the main bit. Keep your leads tidily coiled up.

I always have a reasonably long power extension lead squirrelled away somewhere too - you'd be surprised how many pubs put bands on 5 metres from the nearest single wall socket!

[/quote]
Everything this man says is true...!

Agree with restraint on alcohol, having a pee, checking flies. Also be prepared to be buzzing for hours afterwards. Also, rehearse your starts and stops thoroughly. And have a look at the audience every now and again. If you find that makes you nervous, look just above their heads.

Cerys Matthews told a good anecdote about meeting Tom Jones (it was to do the 'Cold Outside' Christmas single, which I actually really like). She asked him for his advice on live performance, thinking to tap into his sage-like wisdom, drawn from five decades or more of near-constant touring and Vegas show. Apparently he thought for a moment, then leaned in and said (and you have to imagine the accent) "I'll tell you the trick of it, Cerys. Have a drink or two after you come off stage, but not before you go on." Simple, but true.