Why become a member? ×

Who's the finest luthier in all of...um....luthiery?

Funky Dunky

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1436788874' post='2820706']

IME that's someone I'd steer clear of. For me the best results have always come from finding someone who is already building something very close to what I want and getting them to make me an instrument. That way they will most likely already know any potential pitfalls to any modifications I want to their basic design and end up building something that is actually right for me.
[/quote]

I just mean when you have a Luther that has a specific shape to the instrument, they don't want to go too far off model. I don't want to go too far off model, I like classic shapes, but I don't want to be bound to what the companys style is.

• 3 weeks later...

Since it's apparently money no object I'm definitely buying several basses... There'll be at least a couple of Wals. A Sei, an Overwater and a Goodfellow. And an Adamovich since they are about the only modern single cuts that I've ever liked the aesthetics of. There is just something about their styling that works to my eye.

Might also look at a Jazz of some sort... Just for fun. Now at 2 an' 6 pocket money a week that should only take several hundred years to save up for!

[quote name='TomRichards' timestamp='1435625496' post='2810820']
For you Brits there is Alpher. Quickly becoming a premier builder.
[/quote]

+1 to this. Chris and Alex are building me my custom as we speak.

If money was no object, I would have chose Paul Herman, however out of all the British builders no-one appealed more to me than Chris at Alpher (also a member on here as chrisdabass). Check them out if you haven't already!

http://alpher.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/chrisdabass?fref=ts
https://instagram.com/alpherinstruments/

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1439076904' post='2839863']
Neither would i. there are plenty of off the shelf basses that will blow you away.
[/quote]
I'd love to have a custom bass but my reality check is that I have a great alembic series bass and dont think i could specify anything that would give me better sounding or playability experience. so for now at least im off that market.
However if someone was forcing the money into my hands to have one i'd get alembic to make me short scale 4 string series 2 bass. :-)

Edited by jazzyvee

Best is always subjective. I find it interesting that some of the best builders are barely known at all. For instance I recently came across this builder that lives in my home town that I never knew of up until a few months ago.....take a peek

[url="http://www.moore-basses.com"]www.moore-basses.com[/url]

Absolutely beautiful basses

Edited by R.I.P.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1439295733' post='2841599']
14 ACGs :o

... do you have a group photo?
[/quote]

If you get a short enough exposure time, you should manage to get a photo between the arrival of number 14 and number 15.

Too many I haven't played yet to be sure.

Haven't done Alembic or Fodera or Ritter or Shuker etc etc. need some cash to do that and currently I'm skint.

On looking at them online though I think I might like a five string V Wooten Fodera because I love the woodwork and finish.
Tweaked a bit to my personal pup taste as I am a sad lover of passive bass sound.