Why become a member? ×

Who's the finest luthier in all of...um....luthiery?

Funky Dunky

I've already had mine made, so I guess I'll just say it again - Jon Shuker of ShukerGuitars.co.uk The guy is just an incredible force to be reckoned with - and still way under charges for his work!

Sheldon Dingwall is right up the top of my list too. I like his ethos and ideas about bass design.

Since it couldn't be too long distance, that would rule out the U.S guys.
a true custom instrument is built for YOU, IMO, so you'd be making quite a few visits to fine tune.

So my decision would be £3k for Martin Petersen to build me exactly what I wanted...or go with an Avella second-hand which would be 'stock'

I've only ever played some ACGs, an SeiBass and an Eve bass so probably not qualified to make that call given the number of quality luthiers out there. But I suspect that an Uber spec ACG would be pretty hard to beat on quality and value.

It's just an impossible question really... there are just so many masters of their craft out there nowadays.

I love Carl Thompson and Pete Hilton's work, however in real terms I wouldn't say that they are better at crafting instruments from wood than a plethora of others. For example I am super impressed with ACG's work here in Scotland - his work is among some of the UK's absolute finest

Me personally, I'd go Wal. But just because I've always wanted my own Wal.

I admire Fodera and Alembic, but the handful I've played didn't inspire me to start saving.

I loved one Celinder I played, but haven't enjoyed the 2 others.
I wasn't bowled over by the NYC Sadowsky I played (it was nice, don't get me wrong...)

I liked my Jaydee, and my Status - just little niggles stopped me loving them.

But the Wal was just right - didn't have the funds at the time.

Might do soon.

It would very much depend on what I was after at the time of commissioning the build with regards to looks and sounds who I would pick...

However if I had unlimited money to spend and I had to spend it right now on a new bass it would be a very custom Gus 5-string fretless...

Or get Warwick to make me a 5-string Star Bass with a more elegantly shaped headstock than the "paddle" abomination they insist on using.

one bass I saw up for sale and wished I had bought.... and then he stopped building.... remember that lake placid blue jazz that Prose Bass made? It was modelled on someone famous' bass that I forget. That was lush.

ACG über, Basslab, Ritter would all interest me not enough I actually would start saving.

I like jazz basses, I like the idea of them, the sound of them - if someone could make one I liked playing live then I'ld be happy.