Why become a member? ×

WARNING OF CONFIRMED SCAMMERS

[quote name='tubbybloke68' timestamp='1360843927' post='1977208']
There's an alembic 5 string on eBay being sold by tesco outlet or something. Click on description and it says a buy it now price for £1200, for a series model!!! Mmmmm I don't think so. Pristine and stunning is somehow they describe it. Be very wary folks, I reckon:-/
[/quote]

Looks like the "seller" is still allowed to participate in E-bay even though they have been reported sooooo many times......

Heres a previous thread....[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/196012-has-got-to-be-too-good-to-be-true/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/196012-has-got-to-be-too-good-to-be-true/page__fromsearch__1[/url]

[quote name='tubbybloke68' timestamp='1360858784' post='1977547']
Oh sorry I didn't realise everyone was aware of this one already, just thought y'know ...
Begs the question why the bastards still allowed to do it on eBay though doesn't it? Not good really
[/quote]

It's back [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alembic-Series-II-bass-guitar-PRISTINE-AND-STUNNING-/290863311001?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item43b8cde899"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item43b8cde899[/url]

His address on ebay is, [b]Field Of Dreams, Olympus Court, Swansea Vale Swansea SA7 0AQ,[/b] and is, according to google maps , an actual field off a business park in Swansea.

Edited by gjones

So, its being sold by Tesco Outlet: that means it must have been in stock at Tesco at some time? Next time I'm in there, I'll see what aisle the high end Basses are, I assume they do a value version as well?
Seriously, if I was going to hack an ID for selling a ficticious bass, I don't think I'd use a Supermarket outlet to establish my bona fides....

PS I reported this earlier today.

Edited by yorks5stringer

• 4 months later...

Retrobassman1947

This guy Won an amp on an auction of my old gear. I then get an email from his 'friend' stating that the guy who owns the account was in a car crash and now cannot purchase the item. I think eBay would be the last thing on his mind....

Reported to eBay as a non paying bidder and potentially fraudulent account. I don't think banks and PayPal take to kindly to friends having access to your funds.

• 4 months later...

Ebay is a minefield only to be used as a last resort !!! hellish. We have a great community on here for selling and buying , i have never had a problem with anyone on here buying and selling long may that last.

Edited by geofio

[quote name='geofio' timestamp='1382795241' post='2256656']
Ebay is a minefield only to be used as a last resort !!! hellish. We have a great community on here for selling and buying , i have never had a problem with anyone on here buying and selling long may that last.
[/quote] Yep ebay is a nightmare but as you say if needs must and I agree the market place here is great, Ok you do get a few time wasting A-holes but you get that anywhere. I do prefer to do my buying on here though :)

I'm not saying what happened to me was a deliberate scam but it shows how easy ebay make it to rip someone off -

I sold an item for £40.00. I posted it the next day at a cost of £8.00 via myhermes. 2 weeks later a case was opened against me saying that the item had not been received. The buyer had not contacted me prior to the case being opened. I checked the tracking number and it said the item had been delivered and a signature was obtained. Ebay wanted more evidence to prove I had sent it? I gave them all the details including screen shots showing where and when I had dropped it off, every port of call on the way, screenshot of the signature and date of delivery. They were given everything I had which I thought was more than enough evidence. It was not enough. They then wanted evidence that the buyer had received the item? How in gods name do I do that when they already have proof of delivery?

The case was found against me and the buyer was given a full refund from my paypal account! It seems all you need to do is say you have not received an item despite all the evidence. I cannot get through to myhemes either to try and claim on the £50.00 insurance I took out! I cant see myhermes paying compensation for something they have evidence they have delivered either. If I sell anything on ebay now it is collection in person or send your own courier...

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Had no problems buying or selling on ebay myself, but will be extra cautious from now on. Generally if I buy something expensive I. Go and collect it in person. I might adopt this policy for selling as well.

Good tip about blocking non-payers, I've amended my account accordingly (I mean change preferences on my next sale item)

Edited by ricksterphil

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up not to deal with this idiot his ebay ID is [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/acol23345"]acol23345[/url] to cut a long story short I bought a bass from him paid for it then the next day he sent me a message saying the bass was damaged so I ask what the damage was and for some pictures of the damage he then said I could not have any as he has sold the bass to some one else as spares hmmm lies me think anyway ebay are watching him and they will be getting my money back so avoid this knob like the plague all

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1408123683' post='2527412']
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up not to deal with this idiot his ebay ID is [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/acol23345"]acol23345[/url] to cut a long story short I bought a bass from him paid for it then the next day he sent me a message saying the bass was damaged so I ask what the damage was and for some pictures of the damage he then said I could not have any as he has sold the bass to some one else as spares hmmm lies me think anyway ebay are watching him and they will be getting my money back so avoid this knob like the plague all
[/quote]

Thanks Paul, appreciated.

Hello; Lots scoundrel on ebay, I had an electric bass and sale was a person, said he was at sea was oceanographer and wanted to give it to your child, but I had to pay by paypal, I paid shipping charges and send me a check to the bank, it was all a scam, but even with the logo of paypal, so if anyone has something similar, call Nigerian scam, beware of these people.

[quote name='miguel ponton' timestamp='1409063094' post='2535923']
Hello; Lots scoundrel on ebay, I had an electric bass and sale was a person, said he was at sea was oceanographer and wanted to give it to your child, but I had to pay by paypal, I paid shipping charges and send me a check to the bank, it was all a scam, but even with the logo of paypal, so if anyone has something similar, call Nigerian scam, beware of these people.
[/quote]
Unfortunately i didn't understand some of that but the rules of buying and selling are simple whoever you buy or sell from. Buying from eBay is no worse than buying from anyone or anywhere else.

Edited by BetaFunk

• 6 months later...

Not eBay but I just put a wanted ad on gumtree and was contacted by someone offering me what I wanted and sent pictures.. Turns out the pictures are from another live ad in Scotland when they claimed to live in poole. They requested I sent money to them via bank transfer as they didn't have paypal. These are the details they used
07974589172 [email protected]
Thanks

Conversely have never lost out on ebay but have been scammed on BC once. I paid for amplifier which I never received. Another BC member also had issues but at least got his amp in the end. The guilty party was / is xxxxxxxxxx - [color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Last Active Mar 25 2013 .[/size][/font][/color]

Edited by 3below

[quote name='aidanhallbass' timestamp='1427058253' post='2725298']
Not eBay but I just put a wanted ad on gumtree and was contacted by someone offering me what I wanted and sent pictures.. Turns out the pictures are from another live ad in Scotland when they claimed to live in poole. They requested I sent money to them via bank transfer as they didn't have paypal. These are the details they used
07974589172 [email protected]
Thanks
[/quote]

I always only ever deal in person with buying or selling on Bumtree, seems to be the best thing.

:)

Edited by ambient