Why become a member? ×

House insurance on instruments

Woodinblack

I went to change my insurance as MoreThan were charging about £500 and others seemed a lot cheaper. When I updated my cover, the new ones wouldn't cover my instruments as I take them out of the house to gig them and get paid, and even thought it is only a couple of basses I take out, they don't cover the ones that never leave (as they don't know which they are).

So who is good to get cover for the instruments? I have quite a few but there are only a few of the basses that leave the house?

My single bass, and macbook are included with my mom and dad's house contents insurance, as an added extra. They are covered outside the house, that's usually why people have them. It didn't cost much extra to include them, but I had to provide all details, serial numbers etc.

I also get insurance from the MU.

Edited by ambient

Yup, when the girlfriend & I moved in together I checked about instruments. Because I gig, they wouldn't touch them.

I got a policy with New Moon - never had to claim (and hope not to!), but everything has been good so far, into my second year.

As a rough guide, I insure about £3,500 worth of gear with them for about £50. That's with an excess of £100 per item, and also includes unattended vehicle cover.

Has anyone had a problem getting insurance because they are musicians ?

When I was getting car insurance quotes last year, the prices were prohibitive when I said my profession was musician, but came right down when I said teacher.

I think our house insurance is with Bank of Scotland, all my kit is covered in and outside of the house even though I gig and get paid. I have them info on what the gear was and it cost little extra than normal. My mountain bike used to cost more to have on the insurance and was worth far less.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1435494975' post='2809300']
When I was getting car insurance quotes last year, the prices were prohibitive when I said my profession was musician, but came right down when I said teacher.
[/quote]

They expect you to park in a swimming pool!

Try Victor C Knight, up in north London somewhere, I've been with them for car and music insurance for years. The man to speak to, Patrick, will be able to explain better about the ins and outs of insuring music instruments.

Myy house is insured through John Lewis. The contents cover covers instruments inside and outside the house, but I cant remember offhand what the single item limit is - I think is £2k. I fail to see why getting paid for gigs comes up in the insurance enquiry, I certainly wouldn't volunteer this info, but if they ask you'd have to tell them.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1435572717' post='2810045']
I fail to see why getting paid for gigs comes up in the insurance enquiry
[/quote]Because covering items for "professional" use is not what home insurance is for. Some of the home contents insurers get angsty if you work from home, nevermind anything else.

Yes, they did ask at this new place. If you play one gig with one of your instruments, then all of your instruments are counted as professional use equipment and are excluded from most house insurance purposes unless they have been specifically included. So personally I would check, as the time you don't want to find out they aren't covered is the time you need the cover.

[quote name='bassfunk' timestamp='1435589691' post='2810328']
New moon are great. Thankfully I've never had to make a claim. I've talked to them on the phone quite a bit and they're very helpful. I'm pretty sure you can pick which items need to be insured for leaving the house too.
[/quote]

You can! I'm insured with them. They even cover theft from vehicles too.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1435572717' post='2810045']
Myy house is insured through John Lewis. The contents cover covers instruments inside and outside the house, but I cant remember offhand what the single item limit is - I think is £2k. I fail to see why getting paid for gigs comes up in the insurance enquiry, I certainly wouldn't volunteer this info, but if they ask you'd have to tell them.
[/quote]

If you fail to tell something that might affect the policy then they can refuse to pay out.

Paid gigs means more travel often at unsocial hours with a greater risk of theft. Therefore higher premium.

New Moon have been a choice of mine in the past. However, some home insurance companies can put your gigging gear down as "tools" & cover them for gigs (this being if it is not your main occupation).

Like wateroftyne said, call your insurer. The ones that I deal with can do so.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1435411383' post='2808553']
Allianz-Cornhill are the biggest insurer in the world.
[/quote]
I'm afraid to say that they're not. They're big, but not the biggest. AXA & Zurich are both bigger globally, AIG & Aviva are the 2 biggest in the UK.

[/quote]

I would suspect it has something to do with the fact that way too many musicians leave their instruments and equipment in their cars for way too long -- sometimes in very questionable locations. It, and the equipment in it, becomes a target to thieves. The car gets damaged when it gets broken into causing the insurance company to lose money paying off a claim that probably shouldn't have happened.

Just a guess, though. I'm certainly not in the industry.

<><Peace

[/quote]

My wife has had trouble hiring a van too, put artist down as profession (true) got told no. So changed it to painter/decorator & got the hire van!
Madness I tells ye. :-)

I've yet to find any insurance that actually covers the instrument when I need it covered. They all have so many exclusions the only time I would be covered is when I was actually on stage playing the bass...

... I need cover for when the bass is in a back stage room or left on stage when I go to the bar etc.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1435610733' post='2810656']
If you fail to tell something that might affect the policy then they can refuse to pay out.

Paid gigs means more travel often at unsocial hours with a greater risk of theft. Therefore higher premium.
[/quote]

If you are a proper professional rather than a paid amateur I'd agree, but as an amateur you don't need to volunteer "I play paid gigs" information unless they specifically ask. My insurance covers the instruments - that was confirmed. It covers them when they're out of the house - that's also confirmed. I'd suggest the very nature of the insured articles and their cover outside of the house would entail antisocial hours.

In a similar way - as an amateur - I don't insure my car for travel to and from work to cover getting to the rehearsal studio or the odd gig I play even though the hours are antisocial.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1435666686' post='2811120']
If you are a proper professional rather than a paid amateur I'd agree, but as an amateur you don't need to volunteer "I play paid gigs" information unless they specifically ask. My insurance covers the instruments - that was confirmed. It covers them when they're out of the house - that's also confirmed. I'd suggest the very nature of the insured articles and their cover outside of the house would entail antisocial hours.

In a similar way - as an amateur - I don't insure my car for travel to and from work to cover getting to the rehearsal studio or the odd gig I play even though the hours are antisocial.
[/quote]

If you're getting paid for it - no matter how much - the game changes. Of course, you could tell the insurance company you were doing the gig for nowt, but that's lying. And they don't like that....