Why become a member? ×

s'cuse my ignorance, but...

bassbiscuits

I use these on some of my basses as they help with some techniques like tapping: [url="https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Gruv+Gear+%C2%AE+FretWraps&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=SX2NVcu_DMitU7D8g7AN"]https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Gruv+Gear+%C2%AE+FretWraps&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=SX2NVcu_DMitU7D8g7AN[/url]

It's to stop ringing and overtones and provide a modicum of muting. I've tried the Gruv Gear Fretwrap but didn't like it - obviously it will only mute open strings and not fretted strings. Also it takes up too much space at the nut first/fret. I'm going to try the new rubbery thing that fits over the strings at the bridge (also from Gruv) which hopefully will be like a more controllable version of the traditional foam sponge.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1435335572' post='2807877']
i find passive basses can be noisy when there is no contact with strings, so potentially its a method of removing unwanted noise?
[/quote]

Pretty sure that's grounding - when you touch the strings or other grounded conductive areas on the bass (like tuners or the bridge) you're grounding yourself through the instrument... when you're not touching the instrument and grounding yourself I'm pretty sure the noise is electro - magnetic interference from you and your surroundings not being sent to ground, and entering the signal chain instead (through unshielded wires and such, including the pickups!).

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1435338847' post='2807920']
It's to stop ringing and overtones and provide a modicum of muting. I've tried the Gruv Gear Fretwrap but didn't like it - obviously it will only mute open strings and not fretted strings. Also it takes up too much space at the nut first/fret. I'm going to try the new rubbery thing that fits over the strings at the bridge (also from Gruv) which hopefully will be like a more controllable version of the traditional foam sponge.
[/quote]

Please give us one of your superb reviews when you've had some time with it. You do a better job than a lot of pro music journos! (Actually!)

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1435368325' post='2808235']
Please give us one of your superb reviews when you've had some time with it. You do a better job than a lot of pro music journos! (Actually!)
[/quote]

Er... well I don't know about that... but thanks, I will. :blush: