Why become a member? ×

Elixir Strings - user feedback

ped

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1441806593' post='2861930']
bluddy forriners, coming over hear, tranzlating are post's, takeing are string's, steeling are benef(cont'd p.94)
[/quote]

Quite so; it's a bloomin' disgrace, they should all be sent packin' back where they came from.
Oh, hang on, wait a minute... :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1441790175' post='2861715']
One of the qualities Elixir play on is their supposed longevity compared to other brands/types. So I am going to be conducting a more long-term test, i.e. I will report back properly in a few months' time rather than give a short-term sitrep. Suffice to say that they've lasted three rehearsals and two gigs so far without any deterioration to speak of, which is what I'd expect of my usual strings! Watch this space :lol:
[/quote]
OK, another three rehearsals and a gig, and still no deterioration. Still sounding clear and tonally pure. Feeling great to the touch, I mean incredibly soft. A joy to play. To be continued... :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1441790175' post='2861715']
One of the qualities Elixir play on is their supposed longevity compared to other brands/types. So I am going to be conducting a more long-term test, i.e. I will report back properly in a few months' time rather than give a short-term sitrep. Suffice to say that they've lasted three rehearsals and two gigs so far without any deterioration to speak of, which is what I'd expect of my usual strings! Watch this space :lol:
[/quote]

Well I fitted a set of Elixirs on my P, a birthday present in March, I also fitted a set of Dean Markleys (also long lasting/expensive strings) on my J. I've probably done 15-20 gigs since then and practice about an hour a day. To be fair I do most of my practice on the J esp since I fitted a J-Retro :) and most of the gigs with the P. I use a standard two finger picking style and never use a pick. Both sets still sound good, they sounded similar when I first set them up allowing for the different basses they are on, and I preferred the sound of the Dean Markleys at first as they were slightly more sparkly sounding. I think I'd have to say the Elixirs sound slightly better to my ears now so it looks like a win for the Elixirs in terms of longevity, though the differences are subtle and I doubt anyone else in the band would notice. Both sets are still plenty good enough to gig with.

Not very scientific because of the two basses used and the J-Retro upgrade of the passive J with the Markleys which changed the way the whole set up sounds for the better.

To give some context I moved from Rotosounds to Markleys because I was replacing the Roto's after 3-4 months as their sound died. The Markleys last me about a year so at double the price they work out cheaper in the long run. The Elixirs are going to have to make 18 months to be worthwhile. I don't like new Roto's but love the sound they reach a few weeks old.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1443194376' post='2873033']
OK, another three rehearsals and a gig, and still no deterioration. Still sounding clear and tonally pure. Feeling great to the touch, I mean incredibly soft. A joy to play. To be continued... :lol:
[/quote]
Half a dozen gigs and a whole bunch of rehearsals, and they still sound like they're fresh out of the box. Quite remarkable. The coating is still intact, but then I don't play very heard and only use a pick for two or three songs. Still loving the silky feel, feels like I barely have to touch them when I'm playing. If I have one minor gripe, it's that the B string could be a little livelier. The other 4 are noticeably brighter. Still, even with this caveat they've turned my V7 fiver from an already great bass into a truly brilliant one.
More to come of this continuing story, but I'm starting to think I think I'm a convert already.

Just seen this topic pop up again, and it's reminded me to post again. Three or four months down the line, lots of gigs, and it's fair to say they've been pretty well thrashed, mostly with a pick, and they're still very fresh. There's a little discolouring at the bridge end where the pick hits them, but crucially no feathering or flaking. The tone is of good roundwounds maybe a couple of gigs in - just that initial edge (I won't say 'zing', because they were smoother than that from the word go) has faded, but they're still bright and responsive.

If they made the Stainless Nanowebs in Extra Long Scale for my Dingwall, I'd have bought them like a shot, but sadly they don't.

[quote name='danny-79' timestamp='1436972081' post='2822469']
I got a set with a new BGM subscription, 105-45 Stainless Steels.
I generally prefer a 50&70 on the D&G and nickel is what I use.
I have in the past used coated strings of various brands an not found them to be worth the extra price. I love a new set of strings so stick to one brand and one gauge (Ernie Balls, Regular Slinkys) soon as the zing is gone put a new set on so this should be an interesting test.
There going to go on a StingRay (the slightly tamer one of the two) at the same time as a new set of my usual on the other one,(there both due a change) and will rotate them in use as I always do and report back
They should/will be going on today :) 15-07-15
[/quote]

Getting quite worried now, there still on and going strong ! 11 gigs + rehearsals and home practice 50hrs easily, im used to putting a new set on about every 4x weeks and don't normally gig a set more than 3x times usually because they need changing or potential break risk.
Do steels of any kind last quite a long time ? not had much dealings with them until now and complete convert now :)
Regardless of how long they are lasting, they sound amazing win win :)

Edited by danny-79

Yes - I agree - still have the same set on my Precision and they still sound great.

Decent number of gigs and rehearsals too in the time - so can't fault them.

I also think they stay in tune well - don't seem quite so quick to go out of tune with a change in temperature - can't think why but seems to be the case????

Might have to actually buy some!

• 1 month later...

I put the strings on my guitar around march/beginning of april of this year (2015). The year is coming to an end and they are still on there. I asked my bass teacher today if he thinks they are still going strong to have a more expert opinion too. He said they were fine. I practice at home about an hour a day, I have a weekly rehearsal with a band and I did three gigs this year. I started to do some playing with a pick but not too much. So I am not a heavy (mis)user of strings. But my challenge to Elixir was if they could make me spend the extra money on their strings. I am not exactly rich. But I have had strings that even my amateur ears could hear very soon that they were slack and dull in no time, even with my intensity of using them. So yes, I am convinced now. I can rather spend the extra money. The sound is good, less hassle of changing strings even though I do that myself. I have the stainless steel ones. I like that sound plus it fits into the music we play. So I would say that Elixir made themselves a new client. Thanks for sending me the strings. It was fun to win something like that.

New (well, new to me...) guitar coming in (another Xaviere...); I've asked for it to be sent (from the US...) dismantled,and so unstrung. I've just ordered a couple of 3-packs of Elixir Nanoweb Lights from Thomann to put on when it gets here. I'll probably be fitting out my other guitars as and when they need a string change, too.
No news yet of a set for sixer basses..? It's the high 'C' which was missing from the catalogue; has that evolved at all..?

• 1 year later...

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1445858581' post='2894713']
More to come of this continuing story, but I'm starting to think I think I'm a convert already.
[/quote]
Job done as far as Elixir are concerned. I finally bought new strings at the end of last year (after nearly 18 months!), and guess what I fitted? Yup. Elixirs. I am a convert. These things are [i]astonishing[/i].