Why become a member? ×

Bass Mods K7 Custom 7 string Jazz *pictures*

Valhalalf

I finally did it. I've just ordered myself a custom 7 string jazz bass from Rob at Bass Mods in the US.

A few years a go I really fancied a 6 string jazz bass and after a lengthy internet seach I stumbled upon the Bass Mods site. Alas at the time I was up to my eyes in debt so could only look and dream. Last year they brought out their new K7 string jazz bass which looked awesome and really took my fancy, but I still had too much debt to sort out.

Roll on to March when I finally paid of all of my debt and decided I would treat myself and order a K7 but typically they were out of stock.

I decided to drop Rob a message to ask when they would expect a new shipment in and whether I could order a custom model. Rob replied promptly and told me he was just about to put a new order together and thay they have upgraded the bass quality since the last 7's came out, they have much better finishes, better woods and are lighter are weight. He also said that if I got the specs finalised he could order me a custom model to be included in the next order. Boom!

So after some help from Rob speccing out the bass here is what I have ordered.

[u]Bass Mods K7:[/u][list]
[*]Chambered swamp ash body in a black stain finish
[*]35" scale 21 fret maple neck with back binding with black block inlays
[*]Kent Armstrong Skyline Humbuckers (USA hand wound versions)
[*]Bassmods BEQ12-34AP Preamp in chrome
[*]Hipshot string through bridge in Chrome
[*]Hipshot Ultralite tuners in satin/chrome
[*]White pearloid pickguard
[/list]
Got to wait about 5 months now whilst it's built but luck would have it I will be visiting my brother in America not long after it is finished so I'm having it shipped there and then bringing it back on the plane myself to save on shipping costs.

Can't wait.

[attachment=194872:1234074_536053226467266_752190969_n.jpg]

Edited by Valhalalf

[quote name='Valhalalf' timestamp='1435073535' post='2805152']
I believe Binky Bass has/had a K7 and really rated it for the money.

Can't wait to get my hands on mine. Gonna tune B-E-A-D-G-B-E so my 25 years of learing guitar scales/chords (and sweep patterns) etc transfers exactly across.
[/quote]

Yes I've always thought that would be a good tuning for a seven string, although I've spent a lot of time playing chords on a standard tuned six string so i reckon it would throw everything out for me...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Spoke to Rob yesterday, things sound like they're coming along nicely. After much thought I've also decided to have a finger ramp fitted to the bass too.

Think it will really finish the whole thing off.

I also managed to find a sweet video of Danyel Morgan playing his on the David Letterman show

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x13stuk_robert-randolph-and-the-family-band-born-again-live-on-david-letterman_music

Edited by Valhalalf

• 3 months later...

Last night I got sent some pictures of the finished bass and I am beyond happy with it. It looks better than I could have imagined.

Rob also added a series / parallel / coil tap to each pickup for me. It still needs plecing and the ramp fitting then I'll receive it while I'm in America at the end of the month.

What do you think?

[attachment=204559:FB_IMG_1446848103555.jpg]

[attachment=204560:FB_IMG_1446848107726.jpg]

Edited by Valhalalf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...