Why become a member? ×

Well done Taylor Swift !

plumbob

Whether you like her or not I think this young lady has bigger gonads than a lot of established stars .
Definietily has her head switched on , and not the first time she has made a stand , if we had more people like this perhaps the music industry business model for artists wouldn't be the shambles that it currently is !

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33220189"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-33220189[/url]

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1434958689' post='2804039']
Indeed, I have felt like doing that on a fair few occasions. :lol:
[/quote]

I have done on multiple occasions... trouble is i'm not a multi-million album selling global megastar, so I doubt my indignation would affect their bottom line.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1434958408' post='2804033']
Nice to be in a position to tell Apple to f*** off.
[/quote]

Agreed ! But in saying that , the stand can probably only come from the top , also the 3 month unpaid period she was refrring too would apply to everyone not just multi million pound stars .
So indeed why should artists have to pay to fund the richest company in the worlds latest venture as she says and i quote "We don't ask you for free iPhones. Please don't ask us to provide you with our music for no compensation."

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1434964667' post='2804129']
I thought it was rather dishonest of Apple to decide to pass on the "loss" bit of their loss leader to others rather than taking it on themselves.
[/quote]

Standard business model these days. All the "offers" in your supermarket are funded by the manufacturers, not Tesco, ASDA etc.

"Free music" is never free. Someone has paid for it.

"[color=#404040][font=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Cue said they had already been been hearing "a lot of concern from indie artists about not getting paid during the three-month trial period" before Swift spoke out. But he said "we never looked at it as not paying them".[/size][/font][/color]"

:blink:

From what I read in the guardian today, there's more to this, it's just one part of the story. It's true they're not going to pay for the first quarter, but they pay more afterwards, so you're maybe better off in the long run ?

Spotify pay me 0.0004p per play. They currently owe me 40p that I can't withdraw because the amount is below the minimum withdrawal limit. That's an awful lot of plays to get 40p, how many other 40p's are they sitting on around the world ?

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1434965300' post='2804141']
"[color=#404040][font=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Cue said they had already been been hearing "a lot of concern from indie artists about not getting paid during the three-month trial period" before Swift spoke out. But he said "we never looked at it as not paying them".[/size][/font][/color]"

:blink:
[/quote]
Of course not. It isn't "not paying them", it's "giving them [i]exposure[/i]", which as we know is just as valuable as being paid. <_<

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1434976591' post='2804292']
Of course not. It isn't "not paying them", it's "giving them [i]exposure[/i]", which as we know is just as valuable as being paid. <_<
[/quote]

Ahh ! That old chestnut !!! :rolleyes:

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1434977952' post='2804318']
Having read through the 'News' at lunchtime it wouldn't surprise if the whole episode has been fabricated to the benefit of both parties.

Swift - She has some new product out, which now has been discussed in the News.

Apple - They're right on and care.
[/quote]

Absolutely agree, everyone comes out of it looking a little bit better. Smells off.

Cynical view maybe, but I'd be amazed if it was as it has been told.

Taylor Swift's music is still not available on Spotify so I doubt very much if this is some PR stunt.

She's an established artist with enough clout to make Apple look like a greedy corporate arse.

Thankfully it'll mean musicians won't be footing the bill for Apple's new experiment (which will probably flop anyway).

I think she did a good thing there, especially when you think of the smaller artists who don't have her clout and will benefit from this.

However, there's another, related side to this and that's in her management company's contract with photographers that state they want all rights to use photos of Taylor without further compensation to the photographer. http://petapixel.com/2015/06/22/an-open-response-to-taylor-swifts-rant-against-apple/ - Let's hope Taylor writes a Dear Firefly Entertainment Inc. open letter otherwise she may come across a tad hypocritical.

Very interesting situation. There is some fuss being made over Swift's photo demands in contrast to this. She demands exclusive perpetual rights to her photos from concerts, so the photographers cannot earn. Which is very similar to the fuss she was making regarding not earning from Apple's trial period.

Interesting situation though. I wonder if it'll significantky change the industry, given that it is a potential shortcut through middlemen? Unless I am mistaken? (I usually am).

Edit: also, Apple CEO typically gets paid $1 a year, for tax purposes I think? Steve Jobs only earned a measly $1 a year.

Edited by 72deluxe

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1434999539' post='2804622']
[url="http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/latest/photo-news/photographer-hits-back-at-taylor-swifts-letter-to-apple-54363"]http://www.amateurph...-to-apple-54363[/url]

Double standards?
[/quote]
Not at all! There's very little comparison.

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1434999539' post='2804622']
[url="http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/latest/photo-news/photographer-hits-back-at-taylor-swifts-letter-to-apple-54363"]http://www.amateurph...-to-apple-54363[/url]

Double standards?
[/quote]

Hardly. The photographer is being commissioned to take a set of photographs for Taylor Swift, which then become her exclusive property. He can turn down the commission if he doesn't like those terms, or ensure that whatever fee he negotiates compensates him for the potential loss of future revenue. Apple, OTOH, were going to give away somebody's work as a promotion but without recompensing them for it.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1435009162' post='2804731']
Hardly. The photographer is being commissioned to take a set of photographs for Taylor Swift, which then become her exclusive property. He can turn down the commission if he doesn't like those terms, or ensure that whatever fee he negotiates compensates him for the potential loss of future revenue. Apple, OTOH, were going to give away somebody's work as a promotion but without recompensing them for it.
[/quote]

Totally agree, the photographer does not hold the copyright in a commissioned work, the person who commissioned it does. The same would apply to commissioned art works.