Why become a member? ×

Smooth Hound Innovations Digital Wireless Guitar System

Dood

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1482604438' post='3201845']
Mine was ordered yesterday afternoon and arrived this morning (Christmas eve!). I haven't had the chance to test it yet but based on this alone Chris is the man.
[/quote]
Hi Jack,
My wife, Mrs Jane SmoothHound, points out that it was she who stood in the queue at the post office to send your set out by Special Delivery while I was larking around in town doing my Christmas shopping so technically, Jane is the woman ... as opposed to me being the man.
Hope you have a good Christmas!
Chris

Had this two hours now so first impressions. Arrived in ridiculously quick time. The box is compact and very nicely laid out. From the beginning it shouts quality and the presentation has obviously been well thought out. Inside the box are the two main components with the power supply and other little bits hidden under a liner. Both the transmitter and receiver are well made using quality materials. The battery cover on the transmitter is a bit flimsy but that's the only thing and it's a minor one. The instructions are simple and to the point. Within two minutes it was up and running. Sound quality is superb and I can't detect any deterioration or delay whatsoever. The controls are simple and well thought out as is the display. I then started moving around the house in an attempt to find the limit of the range. My house is hardly a mansion but it managed to pick up a signal from the front upstairs to the conservatory which is a decent distance and three walls away.

Overall impression is one of money very well spent on a well thought out quality item. Very very pleased indeed.

• 4 weeks later...

Just bought this Smooth Hound wireless thingy and I must say I'm very impressed. Only used it in the house so far. First time I've played bass
in my bathroom :rolleyes: No loss of signal whatsoever, Brilliant piece of kit !! I opted for the Neutrik Rean jack to jack connector
as I'm going to mount it onto my strap. Chris emailed me to tell me it was on it's way and lo and behold it was here the next day.
No warranty card in the box but I'm sure after some of the comments I've read on here Chris would sort any problems out pretty sharpish.
To sum up it's a great little package with great features and so easy to set up and use. If you're thinking of going wireless I don't think
you could do much better for the money. ;)

I just got in from an open mic/jam thing in swindon where I was playing with two bands, but using the amp of the 'house' bass man, a thoroughly decent bloke named Roger. I played though his Ashdown rig (I'm all ashdown myself) but he also kindly offered to let me use his Smooth Hound wireless as well. Now I have never used a wireless connection for my bass before, and after a few minutes of feeling slightly naked without a lead, the freedom of movement, and the lack of cable tangled around my feet was a revelation.

I am so very very tempted, but before I commit purchase, are there any drawbacks with this I should know about?

Roger had a lovely tone from his Jazz bass strung with flat woulds, two things I have tried and rejected, but his tone was clear, rich and 'fruity', it was quite an evening for being exposed to new ideas!

You won't regret it...although I'm more of a "P Bass with Flats" kinda guy, my Jazz sounds lovely with the Smooth Hound. I've had mine for about a year and it's never faltered.

Edited by rushbo

Cheers, Rushbo, I am so tempted by this, my first experience of wireless bass was a magical moment. The 'buy now' page on smooth hound is open, just need to accept the opening of 150 quid! Timing not too great as I'm swapping my current car (and a bike of cash) for a newer model today. But the liberation from cables getting round my feet, having to clean them after gigs, the freedom to move around...damn, now I'm talking myself into it again!

Right, I have now read the entire 10 pages of this thread, and can't find any complaints about them, and the company reposes here is a definite plus. One question remains, though. Last night we swapped the tx between Roger's Jazz bass and my Precision (I rarely use my one remaining Jazz at the moment) and used them with the unit just hanging there, no magic tape or anything. Is this likely to cause problems long term, as in wear on the jack socket? To clarify, when I say 'just hanging there', it was in fact pointing up towards the bridge, but the unit was not flush with the body, so using something to stick it in place would need a spacer.

Just wondering before I commit the credit card!

The only issue I have is with using the unit plugged into my Aria SB1000. As mentioned earlier, it doesn't sit flush so the magic tape won't stick it to the bass. It isn't a big deal, I love the unit and thoroughly recommend it. I have two transmitters to save swapping from fretted to fretless and they switch on and off with minimal noise. All in all, almost no downside and great value. Do it!!!!

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I just got off the phone asking our guitarist (I genuinely respect his opinion, he's certainly not a guitard!) what he thought of the one I used last night and he said go for it, so I have.

Order placed!

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1485518391' post='3224530']
Mine is mainly plugged into a P and has been since I bought it a year or so ago, no issues to report as yet, if it bothers you, get the associated adapter and a short patch lead and clip it to your strap. I do that when using my Yamahas.
[/quote]

Thanks, that's all I need to know. I didn't bother me last night, but I only played 7 numbers, but if it isn't a problem in a full gig, then that's fine.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1485551795' post='3224956']
I'm seriously considering a sub low-fi blob of blu-tac to dampen vibration.
[/quote]
I know of one customer who swears by his blob of blue-tac. Others usea [i]small[/i] piece of Low Profile Dual Lock (SJ4570). The microsuction tape works for lots of people too. It all depends on the the surface of your bass. If none of the above then a 'belt pack adapter' is the way to go.

Had mine since June 15 and I made up my own cable with a female 1/4"socket to male 1/4" jack (there's a picture I think earlier in this thread) rather than use the adaptor. I just loop it through my belt at the back where I previously clipped a wireless transmitter. Worked for me for a year and a half!

[quote name='SmoothHoundChris' timestamp='1485557610' post='3224999']
I know of one customer who swears by his blob of blue-tac. Others usea [i]small[/i] piece of Low Profile Dual Lock (SJ4570). The microsuction tape works for lots of people too. It all depends on the the surface of your bass. If none of the above then a 'belt pack adapter' is the way to go.
[/quote]

I'm happy with a lo-tech solution like a lump of blue tack, if just hanging there is likely to cause problems. Either way, can't wait to be cable free by the next gig!