Why become a member? ×

Smooth Hound Innovations Digital Wireless Guitar System

Dood

On 04/07/2018 at 13:01, Linus27 said:

Can anyone give me any tips on improving interference. I've only had my Sound Hound for a few months but even when standing about 6 - 10ft away, the red interference bar can flick between 1 red light all the way to 4 red lights and its even cut out a few times when playing. I've tried it at three or four different venues/gigs now and it has happened at all of them. I even tried it in my house once and it was still not very good. I have tried different setting but it does not seem to make any difference. Last Sunday I was playing at an outdoor Garden Party, only standing about 10ft away and it cutout a few times and I even noticed once that all three light bars (1 red and 2 green) flickered and illuminated through their entire range which was very strange.  

I am using a passive Fender Jazz or Precision direct into a MarkBass rig with no pedals attached. Our two guitarists are using wireless systems and our singer is using a wireless mic. Even with the guitarists wireless system not on I noticed the same results.

Any advice or tips appreciated.

On mine, the red light flicker occasionally but as they find free channels they go down quickly. The green lights should not flash. The right hand greens are battery condition if I remember rightly. If they flicker, you need to change the batteries. If they are new and the greens flicker, contact Chris at Smoothound.

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

On mine, the red light flicker occasionally but as they find free channels they go down quickly. The green lights should not flash. The right hand greens are battery condition if I remember rightly. If they flicker, you need to change the batteries. If they are new and the greens flicker, contact Chris at Smoothound.

Definitely speak to Chris, he is super helpful, and should be able to sort out any problems you encounter!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just bit the bullet and ordered one. I work regularly with a guitarist that bought one two years ago. He has had no issues whatsoever even in venues with bad RF issues. Emailed Chris at the weekend to check we wouldn't have an issue with two of these on stage and had a reply within the hour. Now thats service.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking into wireless for Xmas and Smooth Hound comes out one of the better ones altho other threads have mentioned the 8ms latency being noticable compared to other units. I haven't read the full thread but the first page Chris from Smooth Hound provided a great explanation on it. Think the other wireless i'm looking at is the new Boss WL20 but i'm not sure i like the USB charging thing to be honest.

I also like the various very positive comments on Customer Service from Smooth Hound

Dave

6 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Looking into wireless for Xmas and Smooth Hound comes out one of the better ones altho other threads have mentioned the 8ms latency being noticable compared to other units. I haven't read the full thread but the first page Chris from Smooth Hound provided a great explanation on it. Think the other wireless i'm looking at is the new Boss WL20 but i'm not sure i like the USB charging thing to be honest.

I also like the various very positive comments on Customer Service from Smooth Hound

Dave

You can tweak settings to suit Dave, though on a normal big club type stage it isn’t noticeable on the standard setting. Mine has been foolproof even in bad rf situations.

Edited by martthebass
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, martthebass said:

You can tweak settings to suit Dave, though on a normal big club type stage it isn’t noticeable on the standard setting. Mine has been foolproof even in bad rf situations.

In reality do you notice any delay at all. I can't personally imagine hearing 8ms delay to be honest

15 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

This is all interesting info and will help me decide which to go for so please keep sharing your own thoughts. 

Dave

I might be moving my Smooth Hound on for the reasons stated a few posts ago, PM me if you fancy trying one without laying out the full price.

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

In reality do you notice any delay at all. I can't personally imagine hearing 8ms delay to be honest

To be fair, if I go out front to get the sound balanced, say 25m from the receiver I can tell there’s a delay. If I was going to run around the room I’d have to change the settings. On a big stage, no matter where I am, I cant detect the delay.

I think this is a small price for the sound quality and lack of break up on the standard setting.

Edited by martthebass

1 hour ago, martthebass said:

To be fair, if I go out front to get the sound balanced, say 25m from the receiver I can tell there’s a delay. If I was going to run around the room I’d have to change the settings. On a big stage, no matter where I am, I cant detect the delay.

I think this is a small price for the sound quality and lack of break up on the standard setting.

If you’re 25m away then you might have to change the laws of physics to get the latency down 😉  At 343 m/s sound will take about 70 ms to travel 25m, so around 9 times the latency of the device itself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

I might be moving my Smooth Hound on for the reasons stated a few posts ago, PM me if you fancy trying one without laying out the full price.

Really appreciate the offer Dave but with it being a Xmas pressie from my wife to me i'd rather go for a new one. She was struggling what to get me and this was going to make a good option for her.

Any other time of the year i would probably have taken you up on it. Pretty sure it will sel easily on BC.

Dave

Understandable, Dave! I really ought to get it out and advertise it. I put a few straps I no longer use on here yesterday and the first sold in about half an hour, most of the rest went overnight. 

The Smooth Hound is a great bit of kit, but I simply found myself not using it at gigs, and for the last few months it hasn't even been in my kit bag, doit might as well go. 

If you are a little less lazy than me, then I am sure you'll be very happy with that Christmas present :)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Understandable, Dave! I really ought to get it out and advertise it. I put a few straps I no longer use on here yesterday and the first sold in about half an hour, most of the rest went overnight. 

The Smooth Hound is a great bit of kit, but I simply found myself not using it at gigs, and for the last few months it hasn't even been in my kit bag, doit might as well go. 

If you are a little less lazy than me, then I am sure you'll be very happy with that Christmas present :)

I would have thought it was less hassle with a wireless. I'll be looking at mounting the receiver in my rack somehow but will experiment with it to see what works best.

The TX i'll mount on my strap somehow so its just a matter of plugging into whatever bass i'm using.

Dave

3 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I would have thought it was less hassle with a wireless. I'll be looking at mounting the receiver in my rack somehow but will experiment with it to see what works best.

The TX i'll mount on my strap somehow so its just a matter of plugging into whatever bass i'm using.

Dave

With a rack system, it probably is, I use an Ashdown head and Barefaced cab, so the wireless is another box to plug in, find a power supply for, and to blue tack to the top of the amp to stop it vibrating off. It adds to the time it tales to set up and break down, which gets to be a burden at pub gigs. At larger gigs, I still prefer a lead as it is foolproof, no batteries to monitor either. But mostly, as I say, a lead is quicker to plug in and later to unplug and wind up, and I am a lazy git at heart!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

I have one of these to mount the transmitter on my strap - very neat and works well (Edit: I searched for this link but just realised it’s only one page back on page 18 of this thread...)

Edited by Gottastopbuyinggear
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gottastopbuyinggear said:

If you’re 25m away then you might have to change the laws of physics to get the latency down 😉  At 343 m/s sound will take about 70 ms to travel 25m, so around 9 times the latency of the device itself.

Sorry I’m crap at science, my degree was in Chemistry 😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gottastopbuyinggear said:

Indeed!

I have noticed a few times people trying wireless systems and wandering off away from the stage, testing the range, and then commenting on the slight delay. When you're 30m away from the stage, any processing delay is going to be minimal compared to the delay due to the speed of sound. It'll still be delayed if using a 30m cable!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Gottastopbuyinggear said:

I have one of these to mount the transmitter on my strap - very neat and works well (Edit: I searched for this link but just realised it’s only one page back on page 18 of this thread...)

I've just read the full thread and there are some great ideas for attaching to strap that i'm going to buy as well

Dave