Why become a member? ×

Smooth Hound Innovations Digital Wireless Guitar System

Dood

• 1 month later...

Has anyone else experienced cutting out around other wireless equipment? I've had to abandon mine for live performances now as it is compeltey unusable. :(

We have a wireless X32 desk, wireless mics and my guitarist uses a line 6 g30. I tested it at home and it runs fine. Infuriating as everyone here seems to be having no problems whatsoever 

No, I have a wireless X18 and wireless IEM, and my singer uses a bluetooth pedal for lyrics. The only time I had something like that, it turned out that I was slightly underpowering it (it was on a bus with other things), but without its own power now it is fine. It shows you how much interference is present.

The problem I'm having at the moment is the receiver. The clip at the back is so flimsy, however, I've used my own velcro on the receiver and some velcro on the bottom of my bass.

Another big gig this weekend with a big band so will report back via the interference with other wireless gear!

10 minutes ago, dand666 said:

The clip at the back is so flimsy, however, I've used my own velcro on the receiver and some velcro on the bottom of my bass.

I’ve gone this route myself as the adhesive pad-thing just ended up being a bit of a nuisance for me. Bought a pack of mini Velcro discs online. Does a better job and doesn’t need cleaning like the original adhesive pad did.

Is this for real?

Just seen some of the posts that say you have to stick a pad on to your bass for this product. 

Then, apparently, the pad sometimes fails and you have to resort to Velcro!

If it fails mid gig does the kit stop working and/or are you left with something flapping around that requires gaffa tape?

What if the bass you’re using is a pre-CBS Fender with an ultra-thin nitro finish - would the sticky pad damage the finish and leave an unsightly mark?

What happens if you have more than one bass? Do you have to buy sticky pads and Velcro for each one?

Ive used loads of different wireless systems over the years and never had to resort to sticking something on my bass to use any of them. 

All sounds very ‘amateur-hour’ to me :(

12 hours ago, funkyjimbob said:

Has anyone else experienced cutting out around other wireless equipment? I've had to abandon mine for live performances now as it is compeltey unusable. :(

We have a wireless X32 desk, wireless mics and my guitarist uses a line 6 g30. I tested it at home and it runs fine. Infuriating as everyone here seems to be having no problems whatsoever 

Can you detail your wireless gear? Is it all running on 2.4Ghz? Unless you are running the same brand, you are likely to be running into intermod issues very quickly (brands tend to have fixed channels that can be used together intermod free (for info,  theres only 3 channels that are truly intermod free - but you sneak some extra stuff in there a la line 6). I'm not sure whether the Smooth Hound works on fixed channels and switches between them... or actually allows for discrete tuning depending whats already been detected as being in use.

You can improve the situation if you can decrease the transmission power for starters - I know you can do it on the Line6 stuff but not sure if you can on the Smooth Hound stuff. What mics are you running? Ch 38, 70 or 2.4ghz/5ghz? 

For the desk, ensure you are running a router in 5Ghz only. I tend to stay away from the 2.4/5 Ghz stuff for particularly this reason - with venues with many wireless access points (e.g. conference rooms/hotels) can be a nightmare for these types of systems.

Of course, the big nightmare is that on big gigs where the audience turn up with their phones with wifi turned on, things can soon become congested in the airwaves... particularly if they are trying to connect to the router on your desk in a desperate attempt to try and get some free internet access. Hide the SSID for starters - although any savvy tech heads will be able see the hidden SSIDs if they want to, it's will detract the opportunists though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dand666 said:

The problem I'm having at the moment is the receiver. The clip at the back is so flimsy, however, I've used my own velcro on the receiver and some velcro on the bottom of my bass.

Another big gig this weekend with a big band so will report back via the interference with other wireless gear!

Do you mean the bit you plug in to the guitar? That's the transmitter, not the receiver.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molan said:

Is this for real?

All sounds very ‘amateur-hour’ to me :(

Bit harsh there.  This a 'bug' type product where you can slot the transmitter directly in to the input jack if you choose. The tape idea is optional if you want to make it more secure using it this way. Every other bug type receiver is the same in my experience.  At least the smoothhound can handle many different types of input jacks, unlike several other bug type products.

You can also use it the traditional way by attaching the transmitter to a belt or strap. this is the way I do it. If you're used to using many different wireless systems over the years without sticking something to your bass then this would be the way to go. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Muppet said:

Bit harsh there.  This a 'bug' type product where you can slot the transmitter directly in to the input jack if you choose. The tape idea is optional if you want to make it more secure using it this way. Every other bug type receiver is the same in my experience.  At least the smoothhound can handle many different types of input jacks, unlike several other bug type products.

You can also use it the traditional way by attaching the transmitter to a belt or strap. this is the way I do it. If you're used to using many different wireless systems over the years without sticking something to your bass then this would be the way to go. 

yeah, clearly a lack of product knowledge and misunderstood posts on a forum are no barrier to harsh comments - that almost never happens on forums.....at all.....ever.... :biggrin::biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muppet said:

Do you mean the bit you plug in to the guitar? That's the transmitter, not the receiver.....

Yes. My bad...

And WoodinBlack is right. The best situation would be to clip it onto the strap or a belt with a cable. But I bought a wireless system to get rid of cables. Sick of cables, cables, cables. So that option was a no no.

I'll try and upload some pics later. I need to test it out again as it was cutting out the other week. I think this was down too the transmitter door kept falling off and maybe the batteries were getting loose. Not sure.

Will report back.

Edited by dand666

1 hour ago, Muppet said:

Sorry but, as mentioned, I’ve used many wireless systems and have never had to ‘glue’ it to my bass in order for it to work at its best.

It still sounds very amateurish to me. 

As a user you will obviously have a lot more product knowledge than me - do you know the answers to my other questions?

13 minutes ago, molan said:

Sorry but, as mentioned, I’ve used many wireless systems and have never had to ‘glue’ it to my bass in order for it to work at its best.

It still sounds very amateurish to me. 

As a user you will obviously have a lot more product knowledge than me - do you know the answers to my other questions?

If it fails mid gig does the kit stop working and/or are you left with something flapping around that requires gaffa tape?  It will be left flapping, but it won't come out of the Input jack

What if the bass you’re using is a pre-CBS Fender with an ultra-thin nitro finish - would the sticky pad damage the finish and leave an unsightly mark? It won't leave a mark, at least nothing a cloth and some polish cant sort out.

What happens if you have more than one bass? Do you have to buy sticky pads and Velcro for each one? Yes. But Chris from SmoothHound will usually send them to you for free if you need them

Hope that helps. Like I said, I have had some small problems with it so far, but for the most part, it's been great. Will try and upload them pics later to give you some more understanding of it all :-)

• Like 1

I use a half metre lead from OBBM, right angle jack at the bass end, straight one at the other, plugged into my Smooth Hound transmitter which I then slip into my back pocket. No problems at all. So far I have remembered not to sit down....

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, molan said:

It’s not glue, more like a microsuction pad. Hard to explain/understand without seeing it in person! It’s very non-invasive and entirely (cleanly) removable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

It’s not glue, more like a microsuction pad. Hard to explain/understand without seeing it in person! It’s very non-invasive and entirely (cleanly) removable.

I think I get the concept of what you are saying... I'm just not aware of any other product where this is a necessity?

2 hours ago, molan said:

The body of the transmitter is hinged at the jack. I guess this is so that the transmitter jack can fit strat type angled sockets,  regular front facing jack sockets and those located on the edge whilst still allowing the transmitter body to sit flush with the guitar body. I have found other bug type transmitters to stick out from the guitar body.  I guess if the sticky tape (which is more of a rubber substance) fails then yes the transmitters will end up sticking out of the body. It would probably depend on how loose the hinge was though really.  

I used it with a nitro finish leaving no marks, although not for too long. I switched to the belt mounting option. As @dand666 says, Chris at Smooth hound will supply extra sticky pads.  I don't think its amateurish, but being a bug type product it will always have mounting limitations, I suppose. 

Edited by Muppet
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

I think I get the concept of what you are saying... I'm just not aware of any other product where this is a necessity?

It's not a necessity. The transmitter jack will still sit in the socket even if the pad loses it's grip on the bass.  You don't have the option with the Line 6 G30 transmitter because it is much bigger and more unwieldy than the SmoothHound, and you have to either clip it onto the strap or stick it into a pouch.

It is 2.4 GHz only and there are no facilities to manually adjust the transmitting power or set the channels. It uses some internal smoke-and-mirrors to allow you to use up to 4 Smoothhound devices together, with a proprietary protocol which evidently does similar tricks to the Line 6 gear, but isnt' necessarily compatible with it. We could ask Chris.

Which is really what funkyjimbob should have done in the first place - customer support from @SmoothHoundChris is normally top drawer.

• Like 2

Reports of connection problems are still pretty rare. I can count them on my fingers and toes with 2,500 sets in the field. I think I'm talking with @funkyjimbob already on Facebook, maybe it's someone else, but in any case the majority of the reported problems include setups with a wifi mixer.

WiFi routers are very shouty. They'll usually transmit at 100mW when by law continuous audio streaming wireless sets are limited to around 10mW. As @EBS_freak points out there are a variety of things you can do to limit router activity. I would add that if you can't move the router to 5GHz then set it to minimum transmit power (you don't need >100m range) and set it to fixed operating channel at an extreme of the frequency range (either channel 1 or the heighest available). That way you'll minimise the amount of the band that has background wifi in it. Only other thing is space. Radio interference drops off rapidly with distance so keep your receiver (and transmitter) as far away from wifi routers as you can - at least 2m.

Other things that can cause range problems include putting the transmitter in your pocket (@FinnDave!!), in fact anything that doesn't give the transmitter space to radiate in to (had a case with a rear facing guitar socket that caused the transmitter to be pressed against the chap's belly). Make sure you've got your antennas turned up and away from the metal case in a vertical 'V'.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SmoothHoundChris said:

Reports of connection problems are still pretty rare. I can count them on my fingers and toes with 2,500 sets in the field. I think I'm talking with @funkyjimbob already on Facebook, maybe it's someone else, but in any case the majority of the reported problems include setups with a wifi mixer.

WiFi routers are very shouty. They'll usually transmit at 100mW when by law continuous audio streaming wireless sets are limited to around 10mW. As @EBS_freak points out there are a variety of things you can do to limit router activity. I would add that if you can't move the router to 5GHz then set it to minimum transmit power (you don't need >100m range) and set it to fixed operating channel at an extreme of the frequency range (either channel 1 or the heighest available). That way you'll minimise the amount of the band that has background wifi in it. Only other thing is space. Radio interference drops off rapidly with distance so keep your receiver (and transmitter) as far away from wifi routers as you can - at least 2m.

Other things that can cause range problems include putting the transmitter in your pocket (@FinnDave!!), in fact anything that doesn't give the transmitter space to radiate in to (had a case with a rear facing guitar socket that caused the transmitter to be pressed against the chap's belly). Make sure you've got your antennas turned up and away from the metal case in a vertical 'V'.

Honestly, my transmitter is usually in a pouch on my strap, often within 2m of our wireless mixer, and the receiver is also often within 2m of the mixer.  I quite often leave the antennae flat against the receiver (which is on my pedal board) as otherwise our singer will almost certainly jump on it and snap them off.  I’ve never had any issues at all.