Why become a member? ×

Smooth Hound Innovations Digital Wireless Guitar System

Dood

[quote name='John_P' timestamp='1497352752' post='3317444']
Anyone had issues with the construction at all? Mine feel apart last year after about 6 months use and they very quickly rebuilt it but it's coming loose again now so I'm wary of using it. The section where the jack hinges seems to gradually separate and feel loose.
I gig a lot and I'm quite active on stage so wonder if I'm just being too rough or unlucky?
[/quote]

Same issue here - I send mine back as the jack came loose - lost a screw or something, now it feels loose again. I keep mine in a bag now with the jack folded back on itself but obviously you have to move the hinge to get the batteries in and out.

I am not that active on stage, and gig about 20-30 times a year (but practice with it every week). It does seem like a weak spot

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1497362238' post='3317534']
Same issue here - I send mine back as the jack came loose - lost a screw or something, now it feels loose again. I keep mine in a bag now with the jack folded back on itself but obviously you have to move the hinge to get the batteries in and out.

I am not that active on stage, and gig about 20-30 times a year (but practice with it every week). It does seem like a weak spot
[/quote]
Seriously? Man.

This is slightly concerning news as I've just bought one...I'm really not a player who does a whole lot of "moving" while playing though and I'm quite careful with gear in general so hopefully it won't be an issue. Fingers crossed.

Edited by CameronJ

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1497634677' post='3319719']
This is slightly concerning news as I've just bought one...I'm really not a player who does a whole lot of "moving" while playing though and I'm quite careful with gear in general so hopefully it won't be an issue. Fingers crossed.
[/quote]

Likewise here, first gig with mine tomorrow night, not a massive mover, just prefer the lack of cables round my feet and now suddenly some issues are being reported having only heard good things up to now! Let's hope it's just the odd few, I'll be keeping an eye on it!

Was just about to order one too as it seems to be a great bit of kit, very well priced but build issues would concern me and I do move around when playing, although not exactly swinging the bass round me head! Might wait for another while and will continue to watch this thread with interest.

For a 54 year old, I'm pretty mobile and mine doesn't budge from the strap and works brilliantly. Never had a construction issue with it. There was one occasion where on landing from a particularly athletic jump, as I hit the stage there was a momentary cut out, but it was a hefty landing. I do all my own stunts. Just buy one. They're ace.

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1497634677' post='3319719']
[/quote]

Although I have this problem, I am sure if there is a problem it will be sorted (or if I bothered to send it in), the support is terrific and I wouldn't want to be without it.
It has never missed a beat when I have been playing or let me down once.

In fairness it seems like any issues people have had with the system have been dealt with in a swift and professional manner by Chris. I don't have any doubts customer service wise. And there are plenty of folk out in the wild having zero problems at all so I won't stress about it.

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1497654150' post='3319899']
In fairness it seems like any issues people have had with the system have been dealt with in a swift and professional manner by Chris. I don't have any doubts customer service wise. And there are plenty of folk out in the wild having zero problems at all so I won't stress about it.
[/quote]

This. I have had mine now for over a year and it is used almost daily. No issues whatsoever. Service from Chris when I bought mine was just amazing, including getting some new sticky foam overnight.

First gig with this little baby on Saturday and it was perfect. I plugged it in and it rests on my tuners (headless Status) nicely with the little sticky pad. Green light matches my LEDs, and unlike my previous wireless no lead dangling around to a strap mounted transmitter. Didn't even notice it was there,the transmitter gives a bit of a click through the amp when switching off though, nothing drastic but it is still noticeable. Likewise at the end of the gig I switched the reciever off before turning or powering down my amp so it gave a thump. Will have to remember a power down order!! So far so good though, got a bigger pub to play next weekend so a wandering I will go!! :)

Edited by barneyg42

Glad to hear all's going well. When I first put my receiver on my board I got a similar pop on turning it on/off but I've since shuffled my signal chain a bit and altered the order in which my pedals get power from my rechargeable packs. I found it odd as my Smooth Hound was isolated from everything else on the board but hey, the reshuffle did the trick. My Smooth Hound is now practically silent on startup and shutdown. Might be worth investigating.

I always mute or turn off the amp before turning off the pedal board, or unplug it (where i Have a lot of the neutric switched jacks). Don't get a pop there, but often forget and turn on / off the transmitter while everything is still on and that makes a bit of a pop!

Edited by Woodinblack

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='John_P' timestamp='1497357928' post='3317502']
Chris was really helpful the first time it fell apart and 10 months later I don't want to be cheeky. I'm sure it's more a reflection on my use - just curious if I was the only one.
I'll buy a wireless with a body pack rather than a bug to replace it - but I do like the sound and features of the SH.
[/quote]
Hi John_P,
No 'cheeky' about it. I'll happily service your set free of charge. No problem at all. We've got over 1,700 sets in the field over two years now and I've repaired around ten transmitters. Nearly all impact damage.
Regards
Chris

Edited by SmoothHoundChris

[quote name='SmoothHoundChris' timestamp='1499020047' post='3328646']

Hi John_P,
No 'cheeky' about it. I'll happily service your set free of charge. No problem at all. We've got over 1,700 sets in the field over two years now and I've repaired around ten transmitters. Nearly all impact damage.
Regards
Chris
[/quote]

Hi Chris,
I hope my comment was taken in the way intended- I was curious if anyone else had similar issues rather than wanting to criticise - I still think it's a great sound with great features and the service and support is brilliant.
I do feel it would be cheeky asking for another repair after you kindly fixed it the first time, but I might take you up on that offer as aside from my clumsiness it still looks a better unit than anything from the competition.

[quote name='SmoothHoundChris' timestamp='1499020047' post='3328646']
Hi John_P,
Regards
Chris
[/quote]

Well done Chris - love the level of customer service you are providing here and having a LOT of fun being wireless with your product.

I'm definitely a fan!

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1499025589' post='3328706']

Well done Chris - love the level of customer service you are providing here and having a LOT of fun being wireless with your product.

I'm definitely a fan!
[/quote]

Hear hear. Really good to see Chris popping into the forum to listen to players' experiences with the product and offer help/repair so readily. Gives me a lot of confidence as a customer.

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1499067325' post='3328846']
Hear hear. Really good to see Chris popping into the forum to listen to players' experiences with the product and offer help/repair so readily. Gives me a lot of confidence as a customer.
[/quote]

This. As soon as I'll get some more pennies I will be purchasing.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Used it in Paris last weekend, sounded great, but was dropping out when out of sight, which is expected. Was a huge stage with a walkway going into the crowd, but was getting lost at the very end.

Anyone know the max distance it is meant to go? Also any ideas on how to replace the sticky pad, had some issues with it. But apart from that, I love going wireless. It's great, also setting up the Smoothound was so easy. 

3 hours ago, dand666 said:

Used it in Paris last weekend, sounded great, but was dropping out when out of sight, which is expected. Was a huge stage with a walkway going into the crowd, but was getting lost at the very end.

Anyone know the max distance it is meant to go? Also any ideas on how to replace the sticky pad, had some issues with it. But apart from that, I love going wireless. It's great, also setting up the Smoothound was so easy. 

I don’t understand why it should be expected that it would drop out if either out of sight or on a large stage?

Whenever I’ve tested quality systems you can leave the room, close the door, walk across the car park, get in a car and wait for some to start driving away before you lose signal!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dand666 said:

hmm. Well it was in a huge venue, lots of cameras, everything was wireless e.t.c

You guys are making me think twice about it. Maybe I'll email Chris and see what his thoughts are. 

Thanks guys :-)

The main issues are going to be this -

The amount of phones in the audience that are in the audience with wifi enabled

The amount of wireless that is in the venue on 2.4Ghz. 

The amount of metal that is present in the area and the receiver and transmission location in relation to large blocks of metal

The power of the transmissions that have the potential to directly interfere (e.g. exact same frequency or frequencies that will cause RFI due to intermodulation) with the portion of spectrum that you are using with your wireless.

The proximity of wireless transmission sources next to you receiver

The proximity of devices that generate interference to your receiver... e.g. mains, faders, transformers....

I don't know the event at which you were using your wireless - but wireless co-ordination at large scale events can be very tricky! In the pro world, 2.4Ghz would never be used. 5 Ghz would tend to be avoided also... but more likely to be interference free due to more channels being available without running into intermodulation issues... there is however, a trade off (assuming like for like power output) of propagation and range. Generally, digital wireless for instruments and mics would be deployed over Channel 38, or using frequencies that have been licensed to a venue or have a time limited license for a special event. Wireless iPads are used now and again to aid mixing - but thats usually done before show time, where the risk of RF interference is lower. At show time, FOH and Monitor world will be behind their desks... or minimum, a laptop with a physical cable to the control network.

For most people, 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz are going to do the business at most venues (although you may run into issues at say conference centres or hotels where there is likely to be a lot of wifi) - and of course, the big plus is they are license free. Channel 38 systems will usually solve all RF problems... HOWEVER, if you factor in the license and the cost of digital units that operate outside of the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz frequency ranges, then you'll see the cheaper solutions are a good fix for most gigs... just don't rely on them without a backup cable!!

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Thanks 1