Why become a member? ×

Smooth Hound Innovations Digital Wireless Guitar System

Dood

[quote name='Rik (ESA)' timestamp='1485622430' post='3225407']
Ordered me one of these today, looking forward to A/B'ing against a g30!
[/quote]
I found the SmoothHound to be way more reliable...not as much range, but no drop outs and a really solid performance.

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1485627074' post='3225460']
I found the SmoothHound to be way more reliable...not as much range, but no drop outs and a really solid performance.
[/quote]
And, there are no worries over the battery cover on the transmitter threatening to self-destruct.

Ok I used my Smooth Hound at rehearsal tonight with My Trace Elliot 'T' bass. I have never used wireless before and I wish I'd done it sooner.
This little package is the Dog's Danglies and I'm so glad I read this thread before I purchased one because if I hadn't I might have gone for
a Line 6 offering and not this one. I have put the transmitter in an old small Nokia phone case which clips straight on to my strap and the Neutrik
adapter pokes through the hole the charger cable would have gone through. It also has a window so you can still see the little shark flashing.
Cool. I'm Well pleased with it. :D

I have been so pleased with my SmootHound that when I decided to have Andyjr1515 build me a custom bass we came up with this idea.

A big thanks to Chris for sending me a non working prototype to help with this concept.

[URL=http://s970.photobucket.com/user/gelfin5959/media/MesCZyFl_zpshm5ontnx.jpg.html][IMG]http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae181/gelfin5959/MesCZyFl_zpshm5ontnx.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

The whole build is in build diaries, here. http://basschat.co.uk/topic/294432-finished-and-now-for-something-completely-different/page__st__240

I ordered a smooth hound last week directly from Chris after seeing it on here and it arrived in no time at all. It's a fantastic bit of kit and amazing value. Done two gigs over the weekend and it performed brilliantly at both,sounded awesome. I would fully recommend this to anyone thinking of going wireless.

• 3 weeks later...

Considering buying one of these. I use Warwick basses so a little worried about whether the micro tape would do any damage to the finish on the body seeing as it's not a gloss finish? If I were to use the Neutrik connector and hook the transmitter to my guitar strap instead, is it reliable enough to hook on there without much movement? Just a little worried that maybe the transmitter might come loose from my strap if I'm moving around. Also, would I be able to power this with my Diago Powerstation? Or would I need the adapter?

Edited by Murph_Orpheus

I never had microtape, I got mine second hand and couldn't get any. But I wasn't that worried as I have several basses and it needs to go on whatever I am playing.
Which means without it being stuck, it would flap around (and on some basses just fall out- which it does).

For the longest time, I used the nutrick jack-jack socket, a short cable, and put the socket through the loop of my strap. never had aproblem with that, until I took it off.
The day before my last gig, my wife saw me getting my stuff together and went and made a bag for it to go in, which velcros to my strap. That is very good.

I don't know what your power station is, I run mine from a harley benton, but you need the polarity reverser (which comes with the smoothhound) if it is a lead that connects to a normal stomp box, and a power supply that provides over 100ma (but less than 200ma).

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1487684492' post='3241798']

I don't know what your power station is, I run mine from a harley benton, but you need the polarity reverser (which comes with the smoothhound) if it is a lead that connects to a normal stomp box, and a power supply that provides over 100ma (but less than 200ma).
[/quote]

Are you getting away with just one of the 120mA outputs? I've got mine strecthed across two at the moment for 240mA but I'd prefer the extra output for another pedal.....

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1487689165' post='3241849']
Are you getting away with just one of the 120mA outputs? I've got mine strecthed across two at the moment for 240mA but I'd prefer the extra output for another pedal.....
[/quote]

No - I used to run it on one, but then on one gig it was pulsing in and out and making a really odd noise, so I put it across 2 and it has been fine since, so I am guessing just a bit too much. I should measure it really, but I am guessing it is close to the limit!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1468439055' post='3090985']
I'm delighted to say that Chris at Smooth Hound went the extra mile and a half to sort this for me and it now works brilliantly with my Zoom. I don't know what he did, but I'm glad that he did it.

Absolutely first class customer service and a first class product.
[/quote]
Does anyone know what the solution on this is? Just updated my pedal board and ended up using a 2m cable as the noise was horrendous, never had a problem before. The smooth hound is presently next to the zoom on the board so I could shift things around a bit but would probably only get a 15-20cm separation maximum.

Edited by T-Bay

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1490215773' post='3263389']
Does anyone know what the solution on this is? Just updated my pedal board and ended up using a 2m cable as the noise was horrendous, never had a problem before. The smooth hound is presently next to the zoom on the board so I could shift things around a bit but would probably only get a 15-20cm separation maximum.
[/quote]

Get in touch with Chris at SH. He sent me out a new receiver which works flawlessly.

I sent mine back to Chris on Thursday and it was back by return today, superb service as always. Unfortunately the fix was not a magic bullet as hoped but certainly improved the situation. I have spent an hour messing about with settings, cables, filters etc etc and have sorted it. The length of cable had some effect but very little, the location had no effect at all. Next to it or across the room made no difference. Using the active setting on the zoom made a significant difference and chucking in a filter plus a few settings adjustment on the amp has it back to the close to zero level I wanted down from an annoying buzz. I have worked out why I hadn't noticed it before - I had only used it with the zoom at home so the volume is very low and you just don't notice it. The smooth hound through any of my other pedals is perfect so there is some issue with the zoom. But all sorted now so I am happy. Thanks again to Chris for the quality and speed of his service, a lot of suppliers could learn from him.

Is it a B3 you are having a problem with? I can't use the smooth hound and the Zoom B3 on the same non isolated power supply. But then I had the same problem with the Zoom and several other pedals, the zoom is very dirty with power for some reason.
I use an isolated power supply with it and have no problem.

Nope, I have the smooth hound on its own supply and the same with the Zoom. It's a pain having three plugs in total but a necessary evil. Just got bad white noise when I sue it with the Zoom, it's fine with my other pedals but I use the B3 a lot. Sorted now with a bit of fiddling as mentioned. It does seem that the B3 is a bit dirty in its operation and what you say would bear that out as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Just bought one second-hand and it may sound stupid but I can't work out how to open the battery compartment. Have tried various combinations of pulling, pushing, sliding, etc but with no luck. Sadly, the user's manual doesn't go into that much detail. Could someone give me guidance?

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1492505406' post='3280701']
Just bought one second-hand and it may sound stupid but I can't work out how to open the battery compartment. Have tried various combinations of pulling, pushing, sliding, etc but with no luck. Sadly, the user's manual doesn't go into that much detail. Could someone give me guidance?
[/quote] Mine just has a little clip you move to one side and it pops up. It's at the opposite end to the jack.

@SmoothHoundChris, are the antenna replaceable at all? I have the need to mount the receiver in the back of my rack, and the signal is rubbish back there. Is it possible to get any kind of antenna extender?