Why become a member? ×

Van Halen kicks off again.

Grassie

I have always admired EVH's playing, but I'm really disappointed with this interview. Does anyone actually believe anything he says anymore? Sammy's reaction says more to me about Michael Anthony than any anything Eddie has said, ever. MA is a great rock bassist IMO. Big influence on my early playing days.

I think VH are a spent force in the UK. They've been away too,long . They did their USA tour, obviously for cash. If it were serious, they would've at least had a complete, new album with at least 8 new songs- not rehash of oldest,stuff.
I saw some footage on you pube , and it looks like they still don't gel ( Eddie/Dave). You can see eddies corner, and daves dance area . Different ends of the stage IMHO

Roth v Hagar ? ( again;) I prefer material of DLR. I've seen DLR solo, 4 times ( forget the 4th gig )!. Seen billy Sheehan . Just haven't seen the van halen bros.
Hagar stuff with VH doesn't do anything except for 3/4 songs which are good. However , chicken foot rocks big time !! And you Have Michael/Chad/ satch!
Seen them twice .cant wait to see them again ;)

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

MA: solid, dependable, and has more ability than he gets credit for. Judging by Sammy's statement, Mike was all about the band, committed and professional.

I always had a question mark over Eddie. Read a lot of interviews with him years ago and I just never warmed to him as a geezer.

I always though EVH was a bit of a pillock even though he's a great guitarist. I thought Hagar was a better singer than Roth, but Roth was a better frontman. Yet I preferred Roth's solo stuff on Eat Em And Smile and Skyscraper to anything Van Halen ever did. So... um... yeah.... *shrug*

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1434922486' post='2803929']
Remember well how their debut in 1978 just changed the game. However their recent live album is horrible in every way IMO and I mean really horrible
[/quote]

Couldn't believe how bad....
It is scary bad.

Anybody else think EVH'S statement that he doesn't listen to music disconcerting?
So many phenomenonal musicians telling us the most important tools are your ears.

Edited by blamelouis

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1434904935' post='2803740']
MA: solid, dependable, and has more ability than he gets credit for.
[/quote]
[quote name='rjs1909' timestamp='1434935455' post='2803983']
MA is a very underrated bassist. His tone and groove have always been awesome.
[/quote]

I found respect for MA when I had cause to learn a couple of Chickenfoot numbers for a project a while back... initially I thought he was a bit of a plodder but when you listen properly and learn one or two of his lines, the penny drops... he can rock out like a good 'un. :)

EDIT: Just read the article properly. I used to think that Sammy should keep quiet about Eddie, but the more Eddie speaks, the more Sammy's comments are justified; the guy's a prick. That said, they're still in my top 10 bands of all time.

Edited by Schnozzalee

[quote name='blamelouis' timestamp='1434933391' post='2803978']

It is scary bad.
[/quote]
It is the worst album I have ever heard. My brother and I listened to it over a beer and I could not take the pain anymore and asked him to take the bloody thing off.
Totally shody performance, and really badly produced. Sounded like a bag of spanners falling down the stairs

Anybody else think EVH'S statement that he doesn't listen to music disconcerting?
[/quote]

Yes, I do, very much so! Our drummer stopped listening to recordings made after around 1982, 'because I don't want to be influenced by anything'. I find that disconcerting too. More and more he is getting on my tits. Trouble is, he's good! :rolleyes:

Also people like Simon Cowell, Noel Edmonds et al, who don't have proper record collections, don't listen to music as a recreational activity and allegedly don't even have the means to play music in the house... anyway, I digress... EVH is a twat.

It is scary bad.

So many phenomenonal musicians telling us the most important tools are your ears.
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1434964950' post='2804135']
Yes, I do, very much so! Our drummer stopped listening to recordings made after around 1982, 'because I don't want to be influenced by anything'. I find that disconcerting too. More and more he is getting on my tits. Trouble is, he's good! :rolleyes:

Also people like Simon Cowell, Noel Edmonds et al, who don't have proper record collections, don't listen to music as a recreational activity and allegedly don't even have the means to play music in the house... anyway, I digress... EVH is a twat.
[/quote]
It's a load of bollocks. i read an interview with Slash where he says eddie complemented on his playing on appetite, in that interview he says he's unaware of there music. The guy is a prick. He's a concert trained pianist who went to music college. He said he can't read music. It's just bullshit to get cred that he ain't schooled. I read an interview years ago when he talked about scoring out an arrangement for some thing at college. Harrd to do if you don't read.

I love Roth era VH. Even the last one the other year is quite good. The fact that they don't like each othr i think brings out a fire in them. Makes it rock. Hagar era was a cliched cheese fest with retarded lyrics. Hagar thinks he's one of the greats. Evh is great but a massive prick. The fact that DLR comes out on top in personality competition with those two says more about them than DLR. (Who i think is underated as a lyricist, has his own style)

Edited by Lord Sausage

What I want to know is, if Michael Anthony was/is as useless as EVH claims, why did he let him stay in his band for nearly 30 years? Why not get some hungry young hotshot in to replace him? I'm sure there must have been hundreds of bassists willing to sell their grandmothers in order to play in that band. I think I read something once where DLR claimed that EVH had auditioned Billy Sheehan behind MA's back, with a view to sacking him...

Edited by Grassie

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1434973483' post='2804240']
Apparently , they were after Jeff Berlin who is awesome . Whether it would've worked is another thing
[/quote]Oh god no! That would've been too much widdling, even for my ears! Plus Jeff's 'tache just wouldn't look right. Maybe if he had joined Toto... ;)

Jeff Berlin has been linked several times with major Rock acts but the idea is laughable really. JB could play the parts standing on his head but he could never play the part. He was a middle-aged man in his teens and never had that sense of danger we associate with Rock music and all of its sub-genres. He has tried to get himself linked with all sorts as a composer/player and spent a lot of time trying to link his chordal bass concept with artists like Bonnie Riatt etc. They had the sense to pass on the idea but JB would keep on keeping on. A great technician but no idea about the entertainment industry at all really.

Just one nearly off-topic comment; has anyone heard Sammy Hagar's version of Donovan's 'Young Girl Blues' off his live LP 'All Night Long'? Stunning.

I bow to no man in my admiration of Mr Van Halen. When I was living in LA in the 80's I popped round to see Demi Moore and discovered Eddie sat at her piano executing a flawless Chopin nocturne while simultaneously conducting a conversation about the painter Caravaggio with Bernard Berenson.

Not so much, one might say, except that they were both speaking in an obscure dialect found only in the remote villages of the Veneto region of Italy. Berenson kept trying to put Eddie off his stride by pulling faces, all to no avail.

At the conclusion of the piano piece we all applauded. Eddie smiled modestly and made his exit through the door to the sun terrace. I never saw him again.