Why become a member? ×

Not Gigging

Kevin Dean

[quote name='BigAlonBass' timestamp='1434873587' post='2803388']
...just a GAS Attack.
[/quote]

Very much so. The madness isn't restricted to bass players either - people generally buy things they don't need. It's called consumer capitalism and is the bedrock of our wonderful economic system and the mainstay of the advertising industry. More coke, anyone??

When I bought an amp off eBay a few years back, the ad said ' not using amp anymore going computer instead.' I was gigging at the time and thought no more about it.

A few years( and a couple of amps later), I bought a gk combo incase I join another band.
Almost 5 years later, and I havent . I'm wondering whether to offload it, as I have line 6 podfarm and studio monitors .
Then again recently , I've been looking at the Roland cube/ micro cubes with built in drum machines / effects etc.
I notice that guitarists always have an amp at home to match their axe . Maybe you should get one ;)

I gig quite a lot but 95% of them are at venues which provide decent backline. So my amp and cab do little more than gather dust back at home. So why do I keep on checking out the amps and cabs for sale constantly?

I dunno!

you're just being very responsible and preparing yourself for when you start gigging again. whoever you gig with in the future will be really pleased you've bought a bigger, better, shinier amp.

they'd also probably really appreciate it if you got a couple of new basses as well, one for a different sound, another one as back up.

you may also need some shiny pedals for that sound you hear in your head but can't quite get, but remember you will need to buy and sell at least 10 pedals to find the right one so you might as well get started now.

remember to get a tuner pedal that goes without saying obviously.

oh and then you'll need a little pedal board to put them on.

Also you might need a new gig bag to transport your new basses in to, and possibly a rack system for your new amp, i mean it would be foolish to spend that money on a new amp and not protect it.

also you'll need a new strap and strap locks to secure your new basses, you wouldn't want to drop those.

maybe you should get some new strings while you're at it. it would be silly having back up basses but no spare strings.

plus a few tools to help to repair your basses and change strings and set the bass up properly.

you need to get a decent stand to hold your 3 basses so they're accessible on stage.

you're probably gonna need a new car to transport all this lot in too so i'd start having a look on auto trader.... or maybe a customised van with your own inbuilt sound system so your band can rock out at the next festival you go to.

you're gonna need to sort out a room at home too so you'd better combine the kitchen and lounge together and you can take over the lounge and turn it into a music / studio room.

and you're going to need somewhere to safely store your new customised van so you need to start building a garage or a secure car port at the back of your house.....

remember it's not GAS, you're just being prepared and thoughtful and you DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM!!!! :ph34r:

It's not just you. I'm between bands at the moment, and still have a small-gig setup, but I wound up selling my bigger 2x12" cab to cover some expenses when moving house. I'm now thinking I ought to replace that while things are quiet so that I don't have a mad last-minute scramble to find something when I join another band.
It's surprisingly tricky to work out what your needs are when you don't know what sort of band you'll end up in though!

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1434882470' post='2803509']

I too only recently bought a guitar to lay down guide tracks, bit of noodling, etc... then realised I can't play it. Bugger! :blink:
[/quote]

Me neither... I can't hold a pick properly, it keeps slipping round my hand and I end up with the pointy bit facing away from the strings. Also, after this weeks first rehearsal on guitar it turns out I have a lot to learn about controlling feedback.

Interestingly, it's when I'm gigging regularly that I'm less likely to GAS after things. Gigging regularly at the moment and I don't really fancy anything at all, but four months ago I really had to stop myself from buying a new keyboard and some PA stuff (that I don't need)!

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1434882657' post='2803512']
Me neither... I can't hold a pick properly, it keeps slipping round my hand and I end up with the pointy bit facing away from the strings.
[/quote]

I overcome this by playing guitar 'finger style' - ie. in the same way I would play a bass, plucking the strings with my index and middle fingers (and strumming as per normal with the tips).

Makes me feel like a giant, oversized man playing a 6-string bass :)

As a technique for guitar it kinda sucks. But it's what I'm stuck with.

Me neither... I can't hold a pick properly, it keeps slipping round my hand and I end up with the pointy bit facing away from the strings. Also, after this weeks first rehearsal on guitar it turns out I have a lot to learn about controlling feedback.
[/quote]

Pat Metheny has always played with the pointy bit facing away from the strings, and I don't think he's ever been accused of not holding a plectrum properly.

I play with them that way too, I personally find the pointy end makes the sound too toppy.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1434873455' post='2803387']
I'm not even gigging at the moment but talking myself into buying another amp, is it just me ? or am I as I suspect mad :)
[/quote]

I dont gig ATM but still have 3 cabs (despite having sold 2 in recent times) 4 amps, 6 basses, a PA mixer/power amp rack, amp, a pair of subs, probably 7k+ worth and yes I still peruse the for sale forum.

Keep promising myself to have a big sell off and consolidate.

[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1434882470' post='2803509']
I too only recently bought a guitar to lay down guide tracks, bit of noodling, etc... then realised I can't play it. Bugger! :blink:
[/quote]

You two are going to ruin it for everybody, you're just looking for every little excuse not to buy guitars :D

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1434895549' post='2803638']
I have more basses than I've had gigs in the last 2 years. Sometimes I wonder whether I should flog all but the two 'special' ones!
[/quote]

They were all "special" when you bought them, so keep them all. Sorted.

Playing music is not only about 'playing out', gigging, or before a public. First and foremost, it's for the fun of doing it at all. It's true that instruments such as the bass (and maybe even more so, drums...) are not usually associated with solo playing, but there are thousands, perhaps even several million folks happily playing instruments solely for their own pleasure, or with their families. Not quite the same vision for the professional musician, but as hobbyists, I find it perfectly reasonable to aspire to having excellent instruments and equipment, but never play before a public, nor want to. Since the advent of affordable, quality home studio gear, I'd say there are more and more folks creating simply for their own amusement, or for very limited diffusion.
Not saying that there's anything wrong with gigging, either as an activity or as an ambition (I do it myself, from time to time..!), but, to me, it's never been the ultimate motivation. I'd be playing my stuff even if I'd never gigged in my life.
Just my tuppence-worth.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1434898089' post='2803670']
Playing music is not only about 'playing out', gigging, or before a public. First and foremost, it's for the fun of doing it at all. It's true that instruments such as the bass (and maybe even more so, drums...) are not usually associated with solo playing, but there are thousands, perhaps even several million folks happily playing instruments solely for their own pleasure, or with their families. Not quite the same vision for the professional musician, but as hobbyists, I find it perfectly reasonable to aspire to having excellent instruments and equipment, but never play before a public, nor want to. Since the advent of affordable, quality home studio gear, I'd say there are more and more folks creating simply for their own amusement, or for very limited diffusion.
Not saying that there's anything wrong with gigging, either as an activity or as an ambition (I do it myself, from time to time..!), but, to me, it's never been the ultimate motivation. I'd be playing my stuff even if I'd never gigged in my life.
Just my tuppence-worth.
[/quote]

Great reply.