Why become a member? ×

Notation software - problem entering pitch then duration

onehappybunny

After researching notation software, one common issue is that if I enter the notes with the correct pitch, then change the duration of the notes, rather than 'pushing' the other notes to the right (which I want), most software deletes any notes that I have already entered that 'overlap' with the new extended note.

I am only want to tab bass lines (as I don't read standard music notation) and maybe add chords and lyrics.

Can anyone please help, either recommend software to do this, or tell me where I am going wrong!

Many thanks :)

Good evening, OHB...

You didn't mention which software you're using that gives this effect. I use Guitar Pro 6, for both tab and/or notation (it'll do both...). If I change a quaver into a semibreve, for instance, all the notes the the right are pushed further to the right, but stay in the same bar. If this leads to the bar no longer being coherent, it shows up in error (turns red...). I can have this corrected by invoking a tool for adjusting the bars. I'm not familiar with this procedure, as I don't write stuff in that fashion (I get the bars right as I go along; any slight adjustments I can easily do by hand...), but it would seem to solve your problem. Might be worth checking out with a trial download..? It's not expensive, anyway, and I use it for far more than simply notation.
Hope this helps.

[quote name='onehappybunny' timestamp='1434882177' post='2803502']
Thanks Dad... and Happy Father's Day ;-)
[/quote]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]

[quote name='onehappybunny' timestamp='1434882177' post='2803502']...
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]GP6 seemed to skip additional notes (without them turning red) in the bar if a note before it was extended. I'll try again...[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Here's a few bars (boring to play, I know, but...). The first 4 are the originals. The second line, I've changed the first crochet into a semibreve. We see that the bar is now extended, but there are no longer the right number of beats in that bar, so it's red.

Here, I've invoked the 'Bar Arranger' from the 'Tools' menu, and this is the result...

We can see that all the bars are now correct. The correction is only mathematical, however, this may not be the musical intention, so may require some touching up.
These are shots from my bog standard version of GP6; I'm rather a minimalist, so nothing has been 'set up' in preferences or such. Hope this helps.

Edited by Dad3353