Why become a member? ×

greetings from stevenage

gyrus

hi! i'm alex from the philippines, currently living in stevenage. i was in singapore for a couple of years before moving here in the UK... just arrived 3 weeks ago. thanks to my friend ordep, i was fortunate to attend the herts bass bash 3 days ago. it's such a great group to be with.

i learned to play the guitar in 1989 and i immediately shifted to bass after discovering that the main thing that made me groove my head to the song "come together" was the bass line played by paul mccartney (it's his birthday tomorrow).

yes, i'm a fan of the beatles. i grew up with their songs, back in the days when my dad's vinyls were all over the place.

it was around the year 2001 when i subsequently discovered the miles davis quintet (with coltrane). that changed everything. currently, i'm into playing jazz from swing to bop to bossa nova... but i do find comfort mostly in swing.

as for gear, i still have with me the 1st ever bass that i ever bought for myself, a yamaha rbx 260f. i am proud of this bass. this 4-string fretless bass is still with me, with the following modifications:
- epoxy fretboard
- dimarzio model p and model j for the pickups
- audere 2-band pickup
- babicz fch bridge
- bone nut
- hipshot ultralite tuners
- and of course, dunlop straploks
here is how it sounds like:
https://youtu.be/NSTvH6XaetQ

aside from the above bass, i have a pedulla mvp 5-string bass.
for my amp, i use a carvin bx250 plugged in an aguilar sL112.

you can search me at youtube using any of the following keywords:
- gyrus bass
- gyrusssss
- inner vibe trio
- music improvisation collective

i am currently looking for venues/events that host some open jazz jams. if you know of any, please let me know.

i will be honored to be a part of this wonderful community in basschat. thank you for having me.

- alex (gyrus @ BC) -

Edited by gyrus