Why become a member? ×

Newbie advice please - moving to the US - should I get a new bass?

Lardy

<newbie alert>
I'm a real newbie, started learning in January, never played an instrument before, lessons every couple of weeks. 'Love it! I probably pick up and 'play' my bass 4-5 days a week (sometimes just a few mins). We're moving to the US for a while so I'm committed now to putting the bass in freight which I won't see for about 8-9 weeks (yeah, don't ask...). I've not been inclined to sell the Ibanez sr300 (not least because I bought it new* and also one of the kids might show an interest in due course). I'll sell the practice amp (not US voltage) next week, probably on this forum.

As I shall be without my bass for some time, I can see withdrawal symptoms looming. I'm toying with the idea of getting another bass as soon as I get out there... soooo...

Putting yourself in my position, what could you suggest I could buy (for modest cost) that would complement the Ibanez, i.e. be quite different? (bear in mind that "I know nothing'). I tend not to sell things on (hoarder) so it might be something I would keep forever. Should I be jumping at an opportunity to buy a fender or squier (price-wise 'cos of US $ price)? I'm never going to be that good a player so I'm not going to 'invest' in something very expensive, that's for sure. And 'trying' stuff in a shop to establish what I'd prefer is problematic as my playing still so c**p that I'd be embarrassed to 'play' anything in a shop. [And then of course, I need to get a practice-amp/amp/cab ... again, possibly things that I'll keep until I peg it.]

Or is the simple answer "just get a fender/squier **-bass?"

Sorry, this is probably all a bit woolly and there are probably a whole host of answers. However, I've lurked on the forum for some months now and would really appreciate some advice from what appears to be an enormous bank of experience and knowledge.

Thanks.

I have an SR300 as my first brand new bass so I know where you are coming from.

I built my own P-Bass (link to the thread in my sig) from a Squier donor bass and upgraded hardware and I love it - how much of why I love it is down to sentimental value because I built it I don't know but I certainly love the sound and that is not just my own bias!

P-bass was pretty much the first design and it hasn't changed much so it must do something right!

If you are on a budget I personally would go with a Squier or see if you can find a Stingray type SUB - they might be considerably cheaper in the US and they are pretty good!

Edited by Jonnyboy Rotten

Disregard your fear of not being good enough. You don't need to necessarily be able to play tunes when trying out an instrument.

Once you have seen something that you like the look of, check it over to make sure it is all sound. Nothing falling off etc. Everything where it should be.
Sit down with the instrument, preferably somewhere quietish, you don't even need to plug it in at this stage. Play say the open E and then every single fret all the way up the neck. Repeat for each string. You are checking for fret buzz, dead spots etc. Also listen and check whether it is resonant and sounds good acoustically, if it does. then there is a fair chance it will sound great amplified.

Now plug it in to an amp, set a volume that you are comfortable with and just repeat the above. You don't need to do anything else. You don't need to try to impress the salesman with slap bass antics or double thumbing :D

If you like it at this stage, perhaps try it on a strap and check for balance/weight.

Then impress the salesman with your bartering and negotiating skills.

Good luck.

I'd get something from a US based brand, even if the basses are made abroad they'll still be cheaper out there.

A P-bass might be a good option as they're quite different from the Ibanez.

Don't worry about being good enough to play in a shop - it's the cash in your pocket that qualifies you.

As a contrast to the Ibby, how about a passive, wider-string-spaced fiver? These Squier VMs are excellent value:

http://www.squierguitars.com/basses/precision-bass/vintage-modified-precision-bass-v-maple-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/

Well, a couple of things:

1. Why ship it freight rather than either excess baggage or if you are lucky as cabin baggage. See the flying with instruments thread [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/41208-flying-with-instruments-my-guide/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/41208-flying-with-instruments-my-guide/[/url]

2. Make sure you buy in a low tax state. [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxes_in_the_United_States"]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxes_in_the_United_States[/url]

3. Beware import tax when you come back. Limit is £390. Buying just under the limit will buy you something nice - personally I'd try to negotiate a small discount on a standard Fender precision (list is $599 or about $400) - and save you money compared to the UK (UK price somewhere around £500).

I agree $$ your hand gives you the right to play no matter how bad you think you are.

Basses are cheaper in the US. If you're coming back, leave the Ibby with a mate as you go and buy a nice bass in the USA.

Depending on voltages and things an amp could be a bigger hassle than the bass. Maybe buying something like a Zoom B3 or a Vox Amplug would be a good idea and practice with headphones? Or buy a cheap amp in the USA on Craigslist and sell again before you come back.

[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1434384684' post='2799101']
Fender MIM or a Squier Classic Vibe would be my suggestion.
[/quote]

Wot he said.

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1434386392' post='2799119']
'Sfunny.. the original question was 'should I get a new bass?'.. not one reply suggesting to just wait for the container to land! :rolleyes:
[/quote]

C'mon, this is Basschat, innit?

Leave the Ibanez here and buy something over in the States - must be enough pawn shops with secondhand Squiers/ MM Rays/Gibsons....if you're flush you could buy "[i]one of those custom British basses[/i]" that are so difficult to find in the States and sell it over there, recover your costs (plus) and but something with the profit...

'Really grateful for the responses. My inclination, then, is to stretch to a Fender P-bass, taking advantage of being able get one at an affordable-ish price whilst I'm out there for a couple of years (still - a bit extravagant for a learner). Try them out in a shop as per gary_mac (very useful step-by-step advice for a newbie). I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks - 'much appreciated.

Seriously? You're asking a bunch of bass playing anoraks, who all suffer from serious bouts of GAS (albeit in different intensities at different times, and very different budgets), whether you should buy yourself a new bass????? :D

Leave the Ibanez in the UK, and get yourself a new toy while you're there.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Lardy' timestamp='1434374332' post='2798986']
<newbie alert>
I'm a real newbie, started learning in January, never played an instrument before, lessons every couple of weeks. 'Love it! I probably pick up and 'play' my bass 4-5 days a week (sometimes just a few mins). We're moving to the US for a while so I'm committed now to putting the bass in freight which I won't see for about 8-9 weeks (yeah, don't ask...). I've not been inclined to sell the Ibanez sr300 (not least because I bought it new* and also one of the kids might show an interest in due course). I'll sell the practice amp (not US voltage) next week, probably on this forum.

As I shall be without my bass for some time, I can see withdrawal symptoms looming. I'm toying with the idea of getting another bass as soon as I get out there... soooo...
[/quote]

If its going to be a long term proposition then get something that brings a bit of a different dimension e.g. fretless and/or 5 or 6 stringer etc.

Edited by bassman7755

If your still learning stick to a four stringer ,then progress onto a 5 ,6 or Fretless but these are different beasts altogether
,try the p bass see what you think the width of the neck isn't for everyone , yamaha make great basses even their budgets basses are nice to play,good luck with your move and njoy your bass journey .

My dad used to pay on cruise ships many years ago, going over to the US a couple of times a year. He'd leave the UK with a Burns or a Hofner guitar and a Marshall amp and come back with Gibson / Fender. Then he'd sell them over here, and do the same again. As he was always boarding with 1 amp & 1 guitar customs never bothered to check the brand :)