Why become a member? ×

Difference between string-through and bridge stringing?

Naetharu

[quote name='el borracho' timestamp='1434469188' post='2799942']
The only time I tried my M2500 with standard length strings through the bridge there was a visible lifting of the bridge. Very slight but enough for me to replace the strings and go straight back to through body.
[/quote]

If you want to top load your 5 string G&L, here's a (reversible) modification...

http://www.bassesbyleo.com/l2500_bridge_mod.html

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1434455265' post='2799689']
There is the school of thought that through body stringing helps with the transfer of vibration into the body and thus helping sustain and "tone". There is another school of thought that think that school of thought is wrong.
[/quote]

With an electric bass guitar, the more vibrations are transferred to the body then the less sustain there will be as the strings will be losing vibration energy to the body. It's not a school of thought, it's physics.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1434455265' post='2799689']
There is also a school of thought that think through body stringing will increase the string tension, especially for lower tunings than E standard, and therefore aid play-ability, help sustain and "tone". There are also numerous schools of thought that think that this school of thought is wrong as well.
[/quote]
Nothing that happens beyond the bridge or the nut can affect string tension. It's not a school of thought, it's physics.

String tension is affected only by pitch of the note, length of the string between bridge and nut, mass per unit length of string.

I've tried top loaded and through body on my Jazz bass, as I wasn't sure if there would be much difference either. I found that there is a definite increase in sustain when strung through body, and it just sings a bit more this way. I definitely prefer the sound when strung through body, and no, I'm not imagining it ;-) (probably a bad idea from what others have said, but I have also done the same with flat wounds without any problems).

As others have said, through body may shorten string life though. I don't know.

Edited by DiceSociety