Why become a member? ×

I've had enough and I'm giving up!

TheRev

Many of us have been exposed to amazing DB sounds on recordings where an expensive mic or two are used, there's complete isolation between the instruments and the whole exercise is completed by hours of mixing. And we all try to emulate that sound. We practise on our basses in a small room, all extraneous echoes and resonances dampened by furniture and often rugs as well. And we all try to emulate that sound but louder. We all wish we could get the same tone as Danny Thompson or Ray Brown according to our genre. I've never heard RB live but I've been fortunate enough to have met him. I've never met DT but I've been unfortunate enough to have heard him live - the sound was all boom and jumbled lows. So what I'm trying to say is that playing live can be a right lottery.

There is a consensus emerging here that it's possible to get a nearly true bass sound with subtle miking and well placed and eq'd pickups. But when the band is loud and you want a plug and play setup, then the mag will do it. Not long ago I did my monthly gig with keys/rhythm/voc/two saxes. I took my Kolstein travel bass fitted with a Schaller mag. At the end the saxes turned round and said 'great bass tonight' and I'd been playing that gig with them for over 12 years.

You are all totally right and I know I have been spoilt so far. Or maybe just really lucky. Maybe it's just down to the fact that my Chadwick is not feedback prone and my bands are not that loud, so I have never had to wrestle with impossible feedback situations. If I were in your shoes I would probably do the same.

[quote name='Rabbie' timestamp='1434473421' post='2799975']
You are all totally right and I know I have been spoilt so far. Or maybe just really lucky. Maybe it's just down to the fact that my Chadwick is not feedback prone and my bands are not that loud, so I have never had to wrestle with impossible feedback situations. If I were in your shoes I would probably do the same.
[/quote]

I've been lucky too, and with a loud band. But I have a KA mag as well as the Full Circle. I've never had to use it, but knowing it's there is mighty relaxing, I can tell you.

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1434474515' post='2799985']

I've been lucky too, and with a loud band. But I have a KA mag as well as the Full Circle. I've never had to use it, but knowing it's there is mighty relaxing, I can tell you.
[/quote]

Similarly I have a "just in case" Rev Solo, Blast Cult bridge tension screw and plat pro that I have used in the past in ridiculously loud settings with zero feedback. That's about as safe as I can get with guts.