Why become a member? ×

Ampeg Tone

James901

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with everyone , peace and love

I've never owed a real ampeg (just pf) but did use a own to full valve and ceramic speaker orange rig , and nothing could ever touch IMO (I miss it)

However I'm with Lozz ,I can get close enough with my modern stuff and need no help lifting or trolleys

If I where in a bigger band where they would set up whatever instructed prior to
My arrival and it suited the music, I'd go real heavy old school valves everytime

Edited by lojo

• 2 years later...

I have had an SVT and an 8 x 10 for the last 30 years. I used to use them all the time, but now Im in my early 50s, I have to be careful with my back. That said, I took the Ampeg rig out on a gig for the first time in years last Friday, and it really is unsurpassable, and as many others have said here, it makes the actual playing just so much more pleasurable. You want to grin with the sound, it's so musical. And crucially, it changes how you play. The sustain makes you want to play less, because you don't need to play so much! The way the valves compress naturally and react to the light and shade of how you play makes it as if you are playing another instrument. Of course, now Ive played it again, I want to be using it all the time!

9 hours ago, steerpike65 said:

I have had an SVT and an 8 x 10 for the last 30 years. I used to use them all the time, but now Im in my early 50s, I have to be careful with my back. That said, I took the Ampeg rig out on a gig for the first time in years last Friday, and it really is unsurpassable, and as many others have said here, it makes the actual playing just so much more pleasurable. You want to grin with the sound, it's so musical. And crucially, it changes how you play. The sustain makes you want to play less, because you don't need to play so much! The way the valves compress naturally and react to the light and shade of how you play makes it as if you are playing another instrument. Of course, now Ive played it again, I want to be using it all the time!

I used one a couple of weeks ago. I do agree, there is something special about the sound, however I`m still wondering if it`s more to do with the 810 and the height of the speakers, as in instead of just getting the bass alone your ears get all of the highs and high-mids so you hear a truer representation of your playing. That said I know I`m in safe territory with an SVT/810 stack - Precision into Para Driver into amp, everything at midday, master volume at 3, that`s me sorted.