Why become a member? ×

Ornette Coleman

I was sad to read about Ornette Coleman passing away yesterday. He was one of the real innovators and even his 50s records still sound fresh today IMO. He had a great ear for bassists too, as some of my favourite of Charlie Haden's playing was with Coleman, and then there's Scott LaFaro and David Izenzon.
While his music has a reputation for being challenging, I've always found it more to my taste than straighter be-bop based jazz.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1434102662' post='2796667']
'An Evening With Ornette Coleman' and some acid was one of the formative experiences of my youth. RIP. :(
[/quote]

You're full of surprises...........I thought it would have been Hawkwind :D

Another one of the talented ones gone :(

I finf Ornette to be one of those artists who produced some absolutely sublime material interspersed with some which is all but unlistenable! "Kathelin Gray", a track of his Song X LP with Pat Metheny is deep stuff. What is unquestionable was his vision and his commitment to his own artistry. One of the greats.

I watched a brilliant programme a few years ago about 1959 - a year in jazz - which featured groundbreaking albums by Dave Brubeck, Charles Mingus, Miles Davis and Ornette Coleman.

While his stuff was by far the least accessible to a fair-weather jazzer like me, and was a bit over my head to be honest, he was clearly nonetheless a real visionary player.

Change of The Century is still one of my top five perfect albums, even 25 years after I first heard it. And like the OP, Scott LaFaro is one of my fave bass players too......although not with Ornette, his work with Bill Evans on the Waltz for Debbie LP is probably my absolute fave perfect album.

Anyway RIP Ornette Coleman.

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1434116076' post='2796863']
I watched a brilliant programme a few years ago about 1959 - a year in jazz - which featured groundbreaking albums by Dave Brubeck, Charles Mingus, Miles Davis and Ornette Coleman.
[/quote]

+1 on a great programme - really enjoyed that too.

I keep meaning to listen to more OC - by all accounts a true legend. RIP. :(

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1434124788' post='2796998']
+1 on a great programme - really enjoyed that too.[/quote]
Another +1. Recorded it at the time and won't be getting rid of it. Thought it was brilliantly done, with a great mix of musical history/heritage and social history/commentary (some of it quite difficult to watch).

BBC Four really does throw up some fantastic music programmes.

[quote name='Ticktock' timestamp='1434124870' post='2797001']
I was lucky enough to see him play the sound track to "The Naked Lunch" in 2000. Very glad I did.
[/quote]

The Cronenberg film? I hadn't realised that was him. I'm sorry I missed that.