Why become a member? ×

Drum Rims/Hoops

cheddatom

The top hoop on my snare is bent. I can only blame myself. Anyway, it's fine for the moment, but i'd like to get it sorted. i've been looking at replacements, and while you can get a pretty cheap metal hoop, I notice you can get a limited selection of wooden hoops for two to three times the cost. Does anyone know if it's worth it?

FWIW it's a Yamaha YD 14" snare. I use it for all sorts of music, but the bending was done by playing too hard with my rock band. I'm using 5Bs and like to rimshot.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1434034747' post='2796157']...Does anyone know if it's worth it?...
[/quote]

It's worth it if that's the sound you're going for, but I'd suggest that you'd lose out on polyvalence (the sound is much more 'typed', a duller thud than a steel or brass hoop...) and probably less durable. I use rimshot quite extensively, too (RATM, Muse, SoundGarden, Noir Désir and more...), but can't imagine bending a rim, so you're definitely whacking away very hard indeed..! Maple hoops will stand a lot, but will dent and (eventually...) break up under heavy duress. I'd recommend a 3mm chrome over brass hoop, perhaps even a diecast one, but minimum triple-flanged, which will stand the treatment, won't deform and will sound good. It's important for a hoop to resist twisting if it's to hold its tune, especially if 'cranked', as modern snares often are. Wood would be too limited in timbre (but good at what it does...)
Hope this helps.
(PS: Try 5A sticks..? A bit less 'brutal'..?)

Edited by Dad3353

I can't get the same sound with 5As. I play in a folk band and a reggae band too, and I'm playing pretty quiet controlled stuff with them, but the fatter stick seems to give the sound of the rimshot a bit more beef, similar to the 200Hz hump I might put on the snare EQ for a rock band.

it's just this one band (creepJoint) that makes me play really hard (they don't demand, I just can't help it).

OK, thanks very much for your advice. It sounds like I might smash a wooden one pretty easily so I'll seek out a sturdy metal one. I reckon the local shop will have a selection so will check them out.

Yes, sticks are a very personal choice (Japanese Oak 5A, Nylon tip...), so no bother there. Your snare is a very reasonable one, and worth investing in; it would be a shame to skimp on it, if you've the wherewithal. Tell us how you get on..?
(I've 'scare stories' about renovating rims, but I'll save them for when Drumchat.co.uk goes live... ;) )

Sorry, forgot to report back

I picked up a cheap one from the local shop, got to the studio, and realised that my snare only has 8 lugs. I'm certain I found it on the yamaha site as 14" 10 lug but I can't find that link now. I'll have to take it back to the shop when I get time

Anyway, I'd bought a new head so decided to try and bend the existing hoop back, and it worked! I just bent it by hand, which isn't particularly reassuring, but still, it'll do for now

I've noticed absolutely no difference in terms of the sound or feel, but at least this head might last a bit longer

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1434713047' post='2802069']...
I've noticed absolutely no difference in terms of the sound or feel...
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm the same with basses. Whatever the amp, or cab, a bass is a bass is a bass, right..? :P :lol:

Haha, absolutely not!! I guess that I'd managed to get the tension pretty even, even with the bent rim, which is hopefully why I can't tell the difference!

Nice to talk drums though. I have another snare which is very fancy that i've never been able to get a good sound out of. Are there other forums you go on for this sort of stuff? Or should I start a new thread here? Or maybe there are some threads here I've missed?

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1434715181' post='2802101']...should I start a new thread here?...
[/quote]

Be our guest; 'tis a stone more in the Drumchat.co.uk edifice. Someone here may even be able to help, you never know. After all, there's topics on cakes, car maintenance, tenancy and cats, so why not, eh..? :D