Why become a member? ×

Ashdown CTM vs Trace Elliot V-Type

VTypeV4

Having reviewed recent threads regarding The Ashdown CTM models, I couldn't find anyone that had directly compared the two model series. On a different thread, I postulated that the pre-amps of the two may have been similar but Mr Ashdown suggested their CTM was more of a Dave Green / Matamp than a Trace / Fender design.

Has anyone compared the two? I'd be very interested to hear if they have.. :lol:

I'm not normally an Ashdown lover but the CTM100 really appeals. :ph34r:

The CTM is very very good, IMO - frankly I wish I'd never sold the one I had. It's nothing like the Trace V-Type preamp from what I can remember of the Trace, not that that is a good or a bad point. They're just different.

But yes, I would happily buy another CTM if I could.

Another happy, but now former, CTM user, I had the CTM 300 which was a monster! Captain Rumble and I had a play with my CTM when viewing for a possible sale, and he had experience of a Trace V8 and said they didn't even compare, two very different beasts, but two amazing sounding beasts.

Very interesting, cheers chaps. B)

I think I simply need to have a go of one with a familiar bass and cabinet. Not that I'm planning to buy one of course, just need to scratch an itch and do some research or something!?

Judging by the comments above, I think they're a bit more Ampeg / Hiwatt which was kind of like my Ashton BV300 was. Different from the V4 but again, not better or worse just different. I love the V4 and it's particular response through those little SWR boxes and will never sell it as its so comfortable and right but there's somethiing about the 100w CTM that keeps tappiing me on the shoulder..

• 3 years later...

Sorry to drag an old thread up but it seemed appropriate as I finally have my answer..

Whilst away in Brighton the other week, inevitably with a bit of time on our hands, some of the band found our way into the rather large GAK music shop. As expected, I quickly found myself nosing around the bass section and spotted a CTM100 so couldn't resist but attempt to satisfy my curiosity once and for all. It was plugged into a compact(ish) size single-fifteen also of Ashdown manufacture and the young lady in the section passed me a cheap Tobias 4-string to use.

As suggested in this thread, it would be rather different than my Trace Elliot V4 despite the Trace/Ashdown lineage and the none too dissimilar control layout. What I hadn't quite expected was how similar it was to my vintage Bassman 135 - it had that fat warmth in the low mids without too much 'clonk' to it. The Trace by comparison has a more 'top and bottom' character and a different voicing throughout, it genuinely being a different beast altogether. It's difficult to draw direct compare/ contrasts without the same speaker / guitar at either end but suffice to say, I rather liked the CTM. The only other observation I noted on the sonics were that the CTM felt to have a tighter feel / control of the speaker cabinet when compared to the Fender 135 - something that the Trace Elliot exhibits too. I plugged the V4 into the JBL loaded 2x15 I usually use with the Bassman to see how the response was different a few weeks back and the big Trace has far more authority over the speakers even at low SPLs. Some might suggest the Bassman will always be working harder than the Trace due to the power differences but I expect the CTM which is arguably least powerful (I'd be very surprised if bassman makes it's anything like claimed 135w) would be.

Overall, I liked the CTM - it was well built, had a character that I could connect with and it's power I'm sure would be more than adequate for me gig with. Lovely amp.

• 4 years later...

This thread is ancient, I know but I wondered if anyone had any further experience with the two?

Since this thread was started, I've bought another V-Type (I know, I know!) but it's an older V6 (green, furry carpet) which is a little different than my V4 plus I also purchased an SVT-CL setup - I've done all sorts of comparisons elsewhere so I'll not go on about them here but the CTM is still a point of interest.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has had both.

V6 Home 23

Cheers. 😀

I've had a V6 and a ctm300. In all honesty and it breaks me to say it, both were just too inflexible for the band I was in. Both got lost in the mix and didn't have the mid drive to find their way out. 

I wish I'd had more time with them to play around further. 

If I had a choice I'd say the V6 was nicer as it was a lot lighter (prob half the weight) and smoother.

What was weird though is I had to push both of them very hard volume wise.

Completely personal choice though. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. 👍

Based on the last 20 years or so, it seems a V-Type will likely always be my choice of weapon. They need a little support and as such I use a Yamaha NE-1 for additional EQ getting rid of that 'clank' and a Boss LMB-3 adding a little squeeze and 'ping' - I never leave home without them. I do agree, the Trace is not the most flexible tool which is something I've seen in various reviews of the CTM too. Despite these limitations, I still haven't found anything that quite delivers in the same way both my V4 and V6 do - something that's really difficult to put into words and is almost a feeling.

Without much doubt, my SVT has a far more useful set of tone controls with it's EQ that does much more honestly what it says without too much interraction plus the 5-way frequency selection is an instant character shift assuming some boost or cut is applied. When the CTM appeared, I expected they'd be more like the Ampeg but seeing the familiar V-Type style control panel is probably why I jumped to the conclusion I did.

As for having to drive the V-Type hard, I never felt I needed to, particularly. I drive the gain at 12 and keep the Yamaha / Boss quite hot in the FX loop - I'm not after drive or clipping but a little audible saturation and compression complete the sonic picture for me.

Maybe after Christmas, I'll pick up a used CTM100 from the market place here and draw my own conclusions - many thanks, folks.

Edited by VTypeV4

I have still never tried a CTM amp. The Trace Elliot V6 has been my all valve amp for about 10 years. As said in earlier comments, it is brilliant but I do find the EQ to be inflexible/infuriating due to the way in which the EQ controls interact with (or rather against) each other.   Accordingly, my general (probably wrong) presumption that the CTM EQ controls are similar to the V6 has caused me not to really consider them as potential amplifiers. I think that I would probably prefer the Ampeg style EQ if I was going down the all valve route again. 

In terms of volume of the V6, I find that the volume and gain tapers are actually very gradual up to the 12 o'clock position. This enables me to set a completely acceptable level of volume. This is as opposed to the volume taper on my Mesa Big Block (or my old M6 Carbine) in which everything above absolute 0 is 'really loud' and an incremental additional turn makes the amp just 'too loud'. With the V6, my amp has loads of added volume once you move the master beyond 12 o'clock. I use it through a Mesa Powerhouse 6x10 (and prior to that a Peavey era Trace Elliot 2x10 and 1x15 stack) and anything beyond 2 o'clock position on the master volume is too loud for any application I can think of, and I play in a doom rock band.  

Yes, I am aware that I need to buy a smaller cab. 

• Like 1