Why become a member? ×

I've taken the plunge.....

Bassmonkey

I always struggle for space at gigs. I am last to get my gear in every time as drummer, keys, 2 guitarists set up. I then get the bit of space left. I hate cables around my feet so use a wireless system but have a Mackie personal monitor. This was knocked over twice recently at a gig by a drunken bint and is now kaput. Have therefore decided to go in ear. Have read the content here and, having discussed with other users, opted for a T Bone system. Our PA has a spare monitor output I can use so can have my own mix. As long as I can get on with them, I plan to get some Minerva ear phones but will try with the stock ones to begin with. My only concern is that I hear the audience sufficiently as I am the front man too so need to engage. I may end up micing the audience but will see how things go. Excited. Will letya know. Andy

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1433873306' post='2794779']
I always struggle for space at gigs. I am last to get my gear in every time as drummer, keys, 2 guitarists set up.
[/quote]

Drummer, keys and two guitarists?? Good Lord. I find it bad enough with just one guitar and drums. The bloody drummer is the worst though, he insists on taking up the entire stage with his crap when he's setting up and has no respect for my gear at all. Twunt! :)

I feel your pain brother. The drummer insists on setting up in the middle of whatever space we have. The guitarist/keys then gets in on the left. The other guitar is on the right. I go between drums n guitar/keys. Have to wait while drummers stands are all in then squeeze in. Am constantly trying to reduce my gear so in ears mean no monitor and second mic stand for it. Watch the "other musical items for sale" forum. They'll doubtless be on there soon ha ha

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1433873508' post='2794783']
Drummer, keys and two guitarists?? Good Lord. I find it bad enough with just one guitar and drums. The bloody drummer is the worst though, he insists on taking up the entire stage with his crap when he's setting up and has no respect for my gear at all. Twunt! :)
[/quote]

Sounds familiar!

In ears are a dream once you get used to singing with them. Total clarity and means you can hear how good (or otherwise) you all are.

For the audiance, set up a condenser mic at the front of the stage and feed it in to your monitor mix only. You will hear all the heckles then no problems.

So far had vocs only in. There is enough of the instruments audible to let me do just that. Tried bass in tonight. Was really distorted and I took it back out. Batteries lasted about 4 hours then failed. I now know how long to expect. To be honest, I'm really happy with the vocals in. Need to do some more playing to try different mixes but still thinking about whether to invest in proper fitted earphones which will cut out the back line stuff and will mean I need them in my ears.

Very interesting. Probably something that takes time to get used to. Have to admit the whole idea goes against my philosophy of making gigs as simple and easy as possible for myself. But then that includes not singing and playing bass at the same time. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

After much deliberating and speaking to other users, I have bought the Shure SE535s. Hoping the triple driver will manage the bass better then I can add the rest in. The shop reckoned you can get moulds made too at about £100 so remains an option. Saturday night will be the acid test