Why become a member? ×

Great bass in a crazy place

Funky Dunky

Wham!

Deon Estus is a fantastic player and yet nobody ever seems to say it. Did you know the dude was Jamerson's student? I was watching videos on YouTube and for some reason I clicked on a bass cover of Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go (a truly terrible song) and was suitably impressed by the basswork. Hard to find footage of Deon in action, but by jingo, what a player.

[attachment=193779:George Michael bass.jpg]
Being a life-long liner notes geek I've noticed that George Michael gets bass credits on a lot of his stuff. Now this pic might just be a singer picking up a bass for a noodle during a quiet 5 mins in the studio. Anyone know the truth?

Edited by spectoremg

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1433633064' post='2792700']
[attachment=193779:George Michael bass.jpg]
Being a life-long liner notes geek I've noticed that George Michael gets bass credits on a lot of his stuff. Now this pic might just be a singer picking up a bass for a noodle during a quiet 5 mins in the studio. Anyone know the truth?
[/quote]

Here it comes....

There's a rumour that George Michael plays bass.......

.......but it's just a careless whisper.

I thank you.

/coat

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1433665760' post='2792835']
Good interview. I was surprised that Wham had decent musicians behind them. The thing that filled me with dread was when he said there was talk of a Wham reunion. They really were an awful band
[/quote]they definitely were not an awful band. yep they wrote some pop mediocre, but they also wrote some fantastic pop records. this being one of them .. great bass line and a great record . George Micheal is and has always been a very good piano and guitar player and a writer of some of the best pop music ever.love Don's great slap line and finger style. i think some disregard the skill underneath these records. although not to ones taste, the records like carless whisper, everything she wants, are remembered for a reason.[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PBmiSUyTFk[/media]

written by George Micheal. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9abYzI9ycjk

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1433669417' post='2792870']
they definitely were not an awful band. yep they wrote some pop mediocre, but they also wrote some fantastic pop records. this being one of them .. great bass line and a great record . George Micheal is and has always been a very good piano and guitar player and a writer of some of the best pop music ever.love Don's great slap line and finger style. i think some disregard the skill underneath these records. although not to ones taste, the records like carless whisper, everything she wants, are remembered for a reason.[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PBmiSUyTFk[/media]

written by George Micheal. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9abYzI9ycjk[/media]
[/quote]You can give all the examples that you want. In my opinion, they were an awful band. Club Tropicana is one of the examples i would give to highlight just how bad they were. You might look upon them with affection, i look upon them as everything that was wrong with music in the 80`s. Just listening to the 2 examples above for 5 seconds sent shudders through my body. On the other hand, the musicians behind the band, as ever with these type of bands, the people behind them are the real talent.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1433671494' post='2792895']
You can give all the examples that you want. In my opinion, they were an awful band. Club Tropicana is one of the examples i would give to highlight just how bad they were. You might look upon them with affection, i look upon them as everything that was wrong with music in the 80`s. Just listening to the 2 examples above for 5 seconds sent shudders through my body. On the other hand, the musicians behind the band, as ever with these type of bands, the people behind them are the real talent.
[/quote]he is the person behind them. but never mind. and its not affection mate its just appreciation. you don't like the music. nowt wrong with that. :)

I won`t knock George Micheal`s solo stuff. Again, not my cup of tea, but his talent as a writer and singer can`t be denied. I just saw Wham as a cheesy band that firmly belonged in the 80`s. I understand the appeal to the older people who like Wake Me Up, but i will always turn the radio down if that cames on. His solo stuff was much more refined and mature.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1433672203' post='2792905']
I won`t knock George Micheal`s solo stuff. Again, not my cup of tea, but his talent as a writer and singer can`t be denied. I just saw Wham as a cheesy band that firmly belonged in the 80`s. I understand the appeal to the older people who like Wake Me Up, but i will always turn the radio down if that cames on. His solo stuff was much more refined and mature.
[/quote]i would probably do the same Timmo. Im not a fan of that record and i know where your coming from. but although not to my/your taste,i see the talent in that and other records. i really don't like Abba,i see them as a cheesy band. but i can see the talent and recognise why other people might like it.

so my next Shakin Stevens post is a no goer for you.? :lol:

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1433672557' post='2792909']

so my next Shakin Stevens post is a no goer for you.? :lol:
[/quote] :D As we have to listen to both Christmas records come November 30th, I have to say i prefer Shaky`s effort more than Wham`s. It is also surprising that Shaky was in the top 40, 33 times in his career.

FWIW (not a lot, by the looks of things!) I think Praying For Time is a brilliant song. Unfortunately ol' George is a bit of a joke figure in the UK, he's a troubled but talented guy who doesn't do fame particularly comfortably. He seems to have struggled with his sexuality, the deaths of his mother and his long-term partner and became a bit reclusive. Something of an enigma. Not a genius, but talented certainly.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1433673429' post='2792919']
:D As we have to listen to both Christmas records come November 30th, I have to say i prefer Shaky`s effort more than Wham`s. It is also surprising that Shaky was in the top 40, 33 times in his career.
[/quote]i will never forget him on the Russel Harty show early 90's pissed and getting aggressive. :lol: i also remember dancing at the school disco to green door and this old house. then realised he was a poor mans Elvis. so stopped.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1433675682' post='2792954']
Used to love Shakin' Stevens when I was nipper.

Ironically, he actually has Parkinson's disease now.
[/quote]oh what a shame, i didn't know that...

he was my bread and butter musically when i was a nipper also.

[quote name='mxm' timestamp='1433673620' post='2792924']
Love the bass on the Wham! stuff (Estus/Lang/McKenzie) - even the synth on 'Everything She Wants' is awesome !
[/quote]Yep, that's a cracking bass line. Something great that did come out of the eighties was the synth bass player.

The 80s were the 80s, and they have their place in history, paving the way for most of the electro-pop that some adore now (and that will probably sound cheesy in one or two decades). I never liked the overproduced stuff and abuse of synth programming, which obscured some outstanding vocal and instrumental talent - some of which you'd struggle to find in most of today's successful acts. But hey, we needed that decade to generate the indie answer of the 90s etc etc. Wham had some really great songs imho, many that were not too good - but it all depends on how you define and measure goodness, as always.