Why become a member? ×

Batteriser - squeeze 8x more life from your batteries!

dannybuoy

So, some clever sods have miniaturised a charge pump / voltage regulator circuit that can clamp around a regular alkaline battery to keep its charge at a consistent 1.5v until it has depleted. Most batteries are considered dress when their charge drops to 1.2v, at which point 80% of the energy is still inside.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2928997/batteriser-is-a-250-gadget-that-extends-disposable-battery-life-by-800-percent.html

I find it amazing that nobody had thought of this before - that's hindsight for you. I wonder if this circuitry will be built directly into batteries and/or devices in future. Certainly worth of note if your rely on batteries in pedals or active basses!

That critique seems rather at odds with the original article, as they powered a Bluetooth keyboard with it (which presumably is a more complex circuit of the sort that the poster says wouldn't play well with the Batteriser). Seems to me that it would be appropriate in a medium current application - a battery in a TV remote would probably last for pretty much its shelf life, ditto an electro-mechanical clock, and for high current drains, rechargeables would be a better solution. Which means that I don't think I have anything in the house that would benefit - a few remotes, three or four electromechanical clocks, and at the other end of the scale, a Variax, Line 6 wirelesses, Zoom Q2HD, MS-60B, B3, digital camera (which I always use Eneloops in). Actually, thinking about it, it might come in useful for this wireless keyboard and mouse I'm using right now.

It's not horsepoo, but it's badly reported. It'll allow you to get 8x the power that is usually WASTED in a battery when you throw them away as dead, I.e. that last 5%... Great for low low power applications like clocks or smoke alarms, useless for higher power applications.
It's what's known as a Joule Thief - just in a neat new casing.

It definitely doesn't give you 8x power output!

The 800% doesn't seem to hold up with what else is said, but it would appear that it gives several times (4 or 5 times) the energy return insofar as 80% of the stored energy in the battery is still stored in it when it's thrown away (rather than 5%), and this allows that proportion to be decreased drastically.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1433348439' post='2790354']
Doesn't everyone just use rechargeables these days anyway?
[/quote]

They're really not much good in low current applications as they lose a fair bit of charge per day even when not in use.

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1433350177' post='2790383']
They're really not much good in low current applications as they lose a fair bit of charge per day even when not in use.
[/quote]

I bought some Duracell Duralock rechargeables and they seem much better at holding charge. I've been using them in a camera flash which gets used intermittently. I got it out last night after 3-4 weeks and it was still working fine - plus on one charge I'm getting something like 3-4 times the number of shots I was getting from disposable alkalines. Might not be so good in other applications, but I'm happy.

Guest bassman7755

[/quote]

These days there are some good "LSD" Ni-Mh which supposedly retain 80% or more of charge per year.

[/quote]

Eneloops and other low self discharge batteries retain their charge well.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1433429623' post='2791013']
Eneloops and other low self discharge batteries retain their charge well.
[/quote]

Just looked at some numbers. They're more than a bit better! Do they need a special charger or is a normal NiMh charger OK?

I have a pair of Uniross Hybrio PP3s that need charging for 19hrs 30mins at 14mA.
I can't find a charger that will do that.
My wall wart 9v Ni-Mh charger with auto cut off will not fully charge them unless I put them through twice. I have only just tried this (double charging) and so far so good up to now. They have lasted longer than a single charge. Would prefer to have a dedicated charger though as I am not sure if doing this will have any adverse effects.

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1433431483' post='2791043']
Just looked at some numbers. They're more than a bit better! Do they need a special charger or is a normal NiMh charger OK?
[/quote]

I use a normal Sanyo NiMH charger (other NiMH chargers are available), which hasn't blown up yet and charges the batteries. AFAIK, they're fine.

[quote name='goingdownslow' timestamp='1433433025' post='2791051']
I have a pair of Uniross Hybrio PP3s that need charging for 19hrs 30mins at 14mA.
I can't find a charger that will do that.
My wall wart 9v Ni-Mh charger with auto cut off will not fully charge them unless I put them through twice. I have only just tried this (double charging) and so far so good up to now. They have lasted longer than a single charge. Would prefer to have a dedicated charger though as I am not sure if doing this will have any adverse effects.
[/quote]

PP3s are something of an oddity in that they are, in the true sense of the word, batteries. AA and AAA, [i]et al[/i], are actually cells, which each produce in the region of 1.5V - PP3s are a battery of six cells in series which total 9V or so. That means that chargers have a bit of a problem in that they can't assess the charge state of the individual cells but just the whole lot (and probably don't bother at all). I've used rechargeable PP3s for a Nady wireless system but never been greatly enamoured of them and I'm far happier using AAs as used in the Line 6 G50.

Claims like this always smell a bit funny.

Quite a good breakdown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iEshd6izgk

tl;dw - May work in some applications, may wear batteries faster in others, potential for short-circuit, and claims made by maker very oversold (as many products can already use batteries with significant voltage drop).

[quote name='hairychris' timestamp='1433506080' post='2791660']
Claims like this always smell a bit funny.

Quite a good breakdown here: [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iEshd6izgk"]https://www.youtube....h?v=4iEshd6izgk[/url]

tl;dw - May work in some applications, may wear batteries faster in others, potential for short-circuit, and claims made by maker very oversold (as many products can already use batteries with significant voltage drop).
[/quote]

The bloke in the video might be right, but his voice and manner really does my head in.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1433538014' post='2792051']
And he takes half an hour to say what he could have said in 3 minutes. I think he must like the sound of his own voice.
[/quote]
I did not even give him 3 minutes - he was driving me nuts. However I've just been given a link to the conclusions. From this, it looks like it is to be avoided...

http://hackaday.com/2015/06/06/crowdfunding-follies-debunking-the-batteriser/