Why become a member? ×

Barefaced dilemma - Retro vs Compact UPDATED

Jenny_Innie

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1433320532' post='2789974']
Sounds like a result.

Just on a pedantic note, this is a grill:

This is a grille:

[/quote]

Grille is the old spelling. Grill is the modern spelling. In British English 'grill' is the dominant form. In US English 'grille' is still the accepted form.

I'm British and so are our cabs! GRILL. :P

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1433321196' post='2789989']

Grille is the old spelling. Grill is the modern spelling. In British English 'grill' is the dominant form. In US English 'grille' is still the accepted form.

I'm British and so are our cabs! GRILL. :P
[/quote]

Haha. I did check a couple of online dictionaries before posting. Maybe they were old school American dictionaries

Edit: further research all points to Grill relating to cooking/questioning, and Grille relating to the screen.
Anyway, always keen to learn, but not keen to continue the thread derailment. We can swap links via PM if you like to try and get to the truth :-)

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1433322764' post='2790013']
I don't want to appear pedantic but is your use of capital letters for grill and grille correct in the message above?
[/quote]

:-D
I'd respond 'touche' if I could find the appropriate accent on my phone.

Actually, erm, that's the modern way to quote things in the UK.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1433322764' post='2790013']
I don't want to appear pedantic but is your use of capital letters for grill and grille correct in the message above?
[/quote]

[size=4]I don't want to appear pedantic but is your use of 'the message above' correct in your previous message..?[/size] :lol: :P

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1433323576' post='2790028']
I think the key strokes for that accent are 'smart@rse'. :-)
[/quote]

My main intentions were to add a bit of helpfulness and humour (maybe with a tiny bit of smart@rse thrown in) but I'm sensing that your responses are getting a bit defensive/snippy.
I didn't mean to embarrass you or rub you up the wrong way, so apologies if that was the case.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1433324669' post='2790049']
My main intentions were to add a bit of helpfulness and humour (maybe with a tiny bit of smart@rse thrown in) but I'm sensing that your responses are getting a bit defensive/snippy.
I didn't mean to embarrass you or rub you up the wrong way, so apologies if that was the case.
[/quote]

Not my intention at all, I was teeing you up for a shot at my expense! In formative years I have worked at a dole office and been a VAT man. You won't find a thicker skin than mine.

I may be wrong about this, but the room acoustics and where you're standing in relation to the speaker could well have a massive bearing on the sound you're hearing (I'm sure the bods at barefaced will correct me if I'm wrong).
My understanding is that lower frequencies have longer wave forms, and therefore it takes more distance from the speaker for the lows to reach their fundamental frequency; so if you're standing 20 feet away from the cab (as an audience member in a pub may be for example), you'll perceive more bass than if you're standing 6 feet away from the cab. Assuming the cabs you're using are capable of reproducing the fundamental frequency.

It's probably worth standing as far from the cab as you're lead will allow when doing a comparison to give enough distance for the low frequencies to establish themselves.

Apologies for my lack of scientific rigour, it's possible that I'm completely wrong about this

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1433255720' post='2789458']
The other thing is the Compact doesn't have a hump in the 120Hz region like the Two10, so an alternative approach is to cut at about 120Hz and boost lower down. I know the TC head has a lot of tweakery available so if the midrange/treble tone from the Two10 is what you like then all it comes down to is tailoring the bottom end, which is a simpler thing as it really comes down to amp power and cab volume displacement and you have plenty of both.
[/quote]

It might be useful to make some frequency response graphs, like you get for microphones, so that people could see the differences between the cabs, and get a starting point for their EQ settings if they're moving from one model to another.

[quote name='DiceSociety' timestamp='1433330698' post='2790122']
I may be wrong about this, but the room acoustics and where you're standing in relation to the speaker could well have a massive bearing on the sound you're hearing (I'm sure the bods at barefaced will correct me if I'm wrong).
My understanding is that lower frequencies have longer wave forms, and therefore it takes more distance from the speaker for the lows to reach their fundamental frequency; so if you're standing 20 feet away from the cab (as an audience member in a pub may be for example), you'll perceive more bass than if you're standing 6 feet away from the cab. Assuming the cabs you're using are capable of reproducing the fundamental frequency.

It's probably worth standing as far from the cab as you're lead will allow when doing a comparison to give enough distance for the low frequencies to establish themselves.

Apologies for my lack of scientific rigour, it's possible that I'm completely wrong about this
[/quote]

Careful. You'll have the "I know better than you technical brigade" out if you make posts like this. I'm surprised someone hasn't told me my tone is in my fingers yet.

Yeah, I sorta know that. I play wirelessly so stand up the back at the sound check and occasionally dance my way into the middle of the crowd so I can hear it changes. Also where you put it, how close to the wall yaddeeyadda. The fundamental basis of the tone stays the same though.

I've got a hold of an Ashdown 500 watt red thing for a loan - which I can separately boost or cut lots of different parts of the spectrum. I'm gonna start there. It's min 4 Ohm, but I won't be pushing it.

Edited by Jenny_Innie

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1433344007' post='2790295']
You think I dance my way into the middle of the crowd on occasion with my upright bass?
[/quote]

Easily attach it to a roller skate........................

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1433335324' post='2790167']
I'm surprised someone hasn't told me my tone is in my fingers yet.
[/quote]
[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1433345970' post='2790316']

[/quote]
Tone is quite obviously in your feet ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='DiceSociety' timestamp='1433330698' post='2790122']

[/quote]

I don't know if it's worth saying that you're partially wrong about this because it risks skating near the thin ice of the "I know better than you" technical brigade that Jennie is so opposed to, but the stuff about establishing waveforms is rubbish. Sound is a compression wave that starts at the speaker and finishes, as far as you're concerned, at your ear. The intervening distance for that direct sound serves only to diminish its intensity. The stuff about room acoustics isn't rubbish, That's because a room is almost invariably a less than ideal shape with little resonant chambers here and there, and with different acoustic characteristics in terms of which frequencies will get absorbed or reflected - some of that is pretty much unchanging (curtains, furniture), some will vary through the evening (people, of which one would hope there would be more than zero). Sound travels both by a direct and by an infinite number of indirect routes to your ear, and it's those indirect routes that are the problem.

So having a wander out to listen out the front is a very good idea. You can find, for example, that the sound on stage is very boomy and bassy, but out front it's quite thin and middy (and then the guitarist will whinge at you that it's all boomy, and you can tell him it's because he insisted on you going in the corner - sorry, rantette over).

Would it be fair to say that .......

I'm at the start of my learning curve of playing bass. I may consider myself a dead-eyed slam-dunk diva demon of the Precision itself, but there are a lot of other things I've got to learn?

I had an easy ride at first, as my first few gigs were with a sound man who set up everything for me - and then those settings worked fine for the next coupla gigs. But now, having to set up by myself using different cabs and heads and different stages and different gig sizes means I need to do lots of homework. Find what works with what cabs/heads/basses in different type of surroundings, what tweaks to make - and also learn what emergency shortcuts I can take if ever needed.

I'll get out the notebook, put a pencil behind my ear and get to work.