Why become a member? ×

UK Talent/Session Player Agencies

Basska

Hi all.

No doubt this subject has came up before... But I'm looking for an agency to represent me as a session player and have no idea where to start. Looking for the best even if it may cost me. Been DIY for a long time but I could do with the boost.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, Chris.

[quote name='Basska' timestamp='1433524686' post='2791893']
*tumbleweed*
[/quote]
Only way I've gone about it so far is to do it all myself, it's a massive ball ache but I'm in control and any cock ups are my fault, keeps things simple! Though I do have contacts at agencies for dep work, they just recommend me on if a band needs someone.

There used to be an agency called Session Conection based in Putney - under the railway arches on Disraeli Road.

They'd book TV shows (miming and/or otherwise) up to some of the larger gigs of the time.

Back in the day (mid/late 80s, early 90s) some of the easiest money were the 'tape swaps'. As I recall it MU rules would dictate that if an artist was to appear on a TV programme such as Top of the Pops and use a backing band then the musicians that were due to play to the backing track (mime) would have to be the same players who played on the backing track used (!). In reality a studio would be booked and you'd sit around all day and either do nowt, or busk along to a track slightly resembling the original - try putting together a full backing track for, say, Lionel Ritchie (inc orchestration) in just an afternoon!

The boxed tapes were then signed off by the MU (who, it should be stressed, did this believing they were signing off legitimate tracks, so were absolutely acting in good faith).

When it came to the programme the backing track would simply be swapped back to the original backing track (supplied by record company or artist) and you'd be miming along to top LA session players etc who played on the original.

It was one of the most soul destroying experiences imaginable, but it paid.

Doesn't the MU still produce a directory listing musicians?

It was tough back then and even tougher these days, so I'm told.

Edited by Old Man Riva

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1433525817' post='2791910']

Only way I've gone about it so far is to do it all myself, it's a massive ball ache but I'm in control and any cock ups are my fault, keeps things simple! Though I do have contacts at agencies for dep work, they just recommend me on if a band needs someone.
[/quote]

Thank you very much! Great answer. Are the agencies contacts you speak of more towards the personal contact side or did you join these agencies?

Either way I am intrigued as I'm fairly unaware of where to go even for dep work. Networking has been my main squeeze but that can only go so far sometimes.

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1433533779' post='2792003']
There used to be an agency called Session Conection based in Putney - under the railway arches on Disraeli Road.

They'd book TV shows (miming and/or otherwise) up to some of the larger gigs of the time.

Back in the day (mid/late 80s, early 90s) some of the easiest money were the 'tape swaps'. As I recall it MU rules would dictate that if an artist was to appear on a TV programme such as Top of the Pops and use a backing band then the musicians that were due to play to the backing track (mime) would have to be the same players who played on the backing track used (!). In reality a studio would be booked and you'd sit around all day and either do nowt, or busk along to a track slightly resembling the original - try putting together a full backing track for, say, Lionel Ritchie (inc orchestration) in just an afternoon!

The boxed tapes were then signed off by the MU (who, it should be stressed, did this believing they were signing off legitimate tracks, so were absolutely acting in good faith).

When it came to the programme the backing track would simply be swapped back to the original backing track (supplied by record company or artist) and you'd be miming along to top LA session players etc who played on the original.

It was one of the most soul destroying experiences imaginable, but it paid.

Doesn't the MU still produce a directory listing musicians?

It was tough back then and even tougher these days, so I'm told.
[/quote]

Not quite sure on this one. Have heard similar things in past. Will definitely have a look into it.

[quote name='Basska' timestamp='1433549604' post='2792135']

Thank you very much! Great answer. Are the agencies contacts you speak of more towards the personal contact side or did you join these agencies?

Either way I am intrigued as I'm fairly unaware of where to go even for dep work. Networking has been my main squeeze but that can only go so far sometimes.
[/quote]
I was in a band that were signed to one of the agencies but the rest have come from chance meetings and having my name passed on. One of the best ways I've found to network is go to gigs, get talking to the bands bass player, and offer to buy him a pint over a talk about all things bass, lots accept and if you have business cards just hand him one and explain things, that's gotten me a few local pub deps, the better paying function deps have all come cause I've known someone or known of someone in an agency. Have you got your own website? Do you use social media? Do you post regularly on social media? Do any cover videos? How about just straight up covers, no video? These are all things you need to be exploring and pushing to get your name out there!

+1 for networking.. shamelessly as you like - the worst answer is 'sling yer 'ook' or words to that effect!
MU still publish a directory; I think they still do a print version (turns up seemingly at random every few years) but online will be the most up to date.
Pretty much all of my work has come through the first, but no regrets at having joined MU yonks back.. if nothing else I've actually been able to insure my car including business use as a musician!