Why become a member? ×

Grounding Hum

Schnozzalee

[center][/center]

Evening Gentlemen,

I just wanted to run something by those of you that get stuck in when it comes to electronics etc, as I've always left my guitars stock and have little experience because of this.

The Superstrat that I have was beginning to crackle when I ran it through my Blackstar Combo and I initially thought the pot needed a clean after two years; however, the sound is caused when you touch the metal hardware and there is a very light humming noise in the background.

I checked all the solder joints and they all seem secure, including the grounding of the bridge. As you can see, the guitar has one 8.6K custom wound PAF humbucker, so I don't think shielding is the issue...Which leads me to this 'reverse polarity' theory, where you have to change the jack wires over.

In case the problem was my Blackstar or the Mains, I tried the guitar through a Marshall in a different room, but the issue remained. Due to my two amplifiers being practice combos, there isn't a reverse polarity switch on the back so I'm stuck.

Is it time to get the soldering iron out? All input appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...