Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass upgrades/questions.

Ramsay777

Hi folks, I have an American Standard Jazz Bass that I had refinished last year some time, while it was away I took delivery of a Musicman Sterling USA and the poor beast's not had a look in since! (maybe I've been a bit lazy with it too...)

So I'm now looking at putting it back together, it was originally Candy Cola and I've had it done in Pearl white, looks lovely and it's got a maple fretboard. Years back I rewired it to have an on/off switch for each pickup and a master volume for no real reason other than I wanted to mod it, and I'll probably keep it like that. I always had everything on/full anyway and never noticed much noise with that configuration.

I'm wanting to upgrade the pickups to something that will make the bass sound more lively like the Sterling, I was looking at the delano JMVC 4 FE/M2 (the ones with the big pole pieces) - anyone tried these? Any other suggestions? There's so many to look at once you get in to it. I'll be buying without trying as I live hundreds of miles away from decent music shops.

And for grounding the bridge, is it just common practice to strip back the insulation on the wire and jam it underneath the bridge?

[quote name='Ramsay777' timestamp='1433085171' post='2787677']
Hi folks, I have an American Standard Jazz Bass that I had refinished last year some time, while it was away I took delivery of a Musicman Sterling USA and the poor beast's not had a look in since!
And for grounding the bridge, is it just common practice to strip back the insulation on the wire and jam it underneath the bridge?
[/quote] Yes!

[quote name='Ramsay777' timestamp='1433085171' post='2787677']while it was away I took delivery of a Musicman Sterling USA and the poor beast's not had a look in since! (maybe I've been a bit lazy with it too...)[/quote]

Stunningly good basses for the price, loved mine.

Thanks for the confirmation on grounding the bridge :)

I had looked at the East Pre in the past, can i use it with the stock fender pickups that i currently have?

Bassdirect recommend Nordstrand pickups with it... this could get pricey pretty fast if that's the route i go down.