Why become a member? ×

How many Adam Clayton sig basses do we need??!

lou24d53

I think we've visited this topic previously, but in his defence, I think you could probably count his signature models on one hand; aside from the new Warwick, there's been the green Fender Jazz, the <shudder> Warwick Reverso </shudder>, a gold/sparkly Precision. There may have been others.

[quote name='E sharp' timestamp='1433021339' post='2787216']
Well Mark King has had more signature basses , I reckon .
[/quote]

It seems to do well for Rob Green. Only 9 Kingbass varieties so far. See you next year for the new version with some pointlessly ludicrous miniscule twist.

In Adam Clayton's case, why is he doing it?! He doesn't need money and it's certainly not for prestige or something like that. He's one of the most famous bass players in the world. He could buy any bass ever made. Any amp ever made. It's just bonkers to put your name to something that you could buy so easily and disavow when the next NAMM show is on to pose with the next "shiny, "shiny."

I suppose I'm old school in this regard in that I find it wholly distasteful. I couldn't put my name to something and then turn around and sign up for something else in such a calculated, cynical fashion if I've given someone my word. Even more so if I was already rich beyond measure.

Personally I don't need any signature basses. Surely it's solely a marketing ploy. Aren't all signature models?

The new wooden warwick tuners are possibly the least attractive 'improvement' or design feature I've seen. Not for me thanks

The idea of a single P in a Streamer body actually appeals to me but I'd not spend $6000 on ANY bolt-on neck Warwick (actually I'd not spend that on any bass). I can't see the justification for that price tag over any regular CV bass; CS or not it will surely be made with the same components from the same machinery in the same factories.

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1433071214' post='2787469']
Personally I don't need any signature basses. Surely it's solely a marketing ploy. Aren't all signature models?

The new wooden warwick tuners are possibly the least attractive 'improvement' or design feature I've seen. Not for me thanks
[/quote]

I think they could be done right - on a Warwick star bass ebony tuning pegs might be nice. But for a streamer it seems a little off to me.
Good idea as a custom shop option. Not as standard on anything IMO.

I like it - not $6000 worth of like to the point where I`d buy it, but it looks nice, and sounds nice as well. Not keen on the idea of wooden tuners though, must admit I had to re-run the clip to make sure I`d heard him say that and hadn`t imagined it.

I think the reason that Adam Clayton's many and varied signature basses are so widely ridiculed is that none of them are what could actually be described as his signature model i.e. synonymous with the player in the way that say a black P with mirrored pickguard would be associated with Phil Lynott. His basses are signature models only in the sense that his signature is printed on them. It seems to be a case of whenever he happens to get a new bass then the manufacturer - whoever that may be - puts his name on the headstock to shift a few extra units at a premium regardless of whether he will ever actually be seen playing live or in the studio with it.

Right, I'm of to scribble my name onto my Fender Jazz that I bought a few months ago despite having played Warwicks exclusively for the previous 10 years :)

Edited by Painy

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1433080800' post='2787607']
Can someone explain to me how a passive treble and a passive bass control works ? :blink:
[/quote][quote name='Painy' timestamp='1433081543' post='2787617']
Cut only maybe?
[/quote]Makes sense, just a different value of capacitor; one for treble (as normal), one for bass (as found on some volume pots on guitars).