Why become a member? ×

How many Adam Clayton sig basses do we need??!

lou24d53

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1433079145' post='2787584']
I think the reason that Adam Clayton's many and varied signature basses are so widely ridiculed is that none of them are what could actually be described as his signature model i.e. synonymous with the player in the way that say a black P with mirrored pickguard would be associated with Phil Lynott. His basses are signature models only in the sense that his signature is printed on them. It seems to be a case of whenever he happens to get a new bass then the manufacturer - whoever that may be - puts his name on the headstock to shift a few extra units at a premium regardless of whether he will ever actually be seen playing live or in the studio with it.

Right, I'm of to scribble my name onto my Fender Jazz that I bought a few months ago despite having played Warwicks exclusively for the previous 10 years :)
[/quote]

Nailed it.

I think some sig basses have a point. The Marcus miller for example does the Maple/Ash 70's p plus pre-amp thing very well, and strung with some DR Rounds anyone can pretty much thumb their way to MM's sound(sort of). The Jaco bass with the epoxy fretless neck and correctly voiced PU's does it's thing too, as does the Duck Dunn P with some nice heavy flats.
The problem with an Adam Clayton Sig bass is he has no real signature sound or a specific bass accociated with him. He's just spent the best part of 4 decades going dum,dum,dum on 8th notes with an innofensive rather than distinctive sound sat conventionally in the mix. I'm not knocking this - he does it very well, it's what is needed in his band, and he's probably earned more than pretty much any other bassist doing it. I'm just saying that if there is nothing particularly unusual or outstanding about either a player or his gear, it's difficult to understand what his 'signature' on a bass stands for?

Especially when he plays so many different basses. I think really, for someone to have a signature instrument it has to be one they are always associated with. As Painy mentioned, Phil Lynott with his black Precision with the mirror guard, Slash with a `burst Les Paul etc. Agree with the signature sound comment too - Duff McKagans sound is pretty recognisable, as is his bass.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1433022552' post='2787229']
I bought a Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio for about 2% of the price, and I'd argue its at least half as good
[/quote] I would argue the DE is probably better they are seriously under rated basses. And that Warwick looks like a GUS crossed with a Jazz not cool IMO (runs for cover)

Edited by Thunderbird

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1433079145' post='2787584']
I think the reason that Adam Clayton's many and varied signature basses are so widely ridiculed is that none of them are what could actually be described as his signature model i.e. synonymous with the player in the way that say a black P with mirrored pickguard would be associated with Phil Lynott. His basses are signature models only in the sense that his signature is printed on them. It seems to be a case of whenever he happens to get a new bass then the manufacturer - whoever that may be - puts his name on the headstock to shift a few extra units at a premium regardless of whether he will ever actually be seen playing live or in the studio with it.

Right, I'm of to scribble my name onto my Fender Jazz that I bought a few months ago despite having played Warwicks exclusively for the previous 10 years :)
[/quote]
To be fair I've seen him play the last two live

Good grief?!! Warwick "borrowing" features from another manufacturer? This cannot be the case!! Or not as the case may be. I look at Warwicks and just laugh at how much they've lost their way. Look, there's the Spector version. Oh, there's the Gibson EB0 version. There's the just a nut feature they "borrowed" from Alembic. Oh dear, there's the new Adam Clayton version. It looks like someone's put a plastic keyring in an oven for an hour and whatever shape it makes when it comes out is what he gets once they slap a precision pickup in it and say it costs six grand. "Designed by bassists for bassists" is sure to be the tagline. Jog on.

[quote name='Shedua511' timestamp='1433243996' post='2789238']
Since nobody has done so yet, I'd like to chime in with the answer to the question: the correct amount is zero.
[/quote]

We don't need any signature instruments - stock models of similar build and electronics will do just fine!

[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1433451610' post='2791257']
Just one. Mine.

[/quote]

Best answer yet! It may be fairly close to a stock jazz but the details on the fender AC sig are what set it apart. Great colour.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1433834120' post='2794274']
With a quarter of the U2 pot at his disposal he surely can't need the relatively small amount of cash these manufacturers can offer.
[/quote]
Edge and Bono are on the board at Fender, I'm sure they could have done him a deal?

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1433071214' post='2787469']
The new wooden warwick tuners are possibly the least attractive 'improvement' or design feature I've seen. Not for me thanks
[/quote]
I hadn't noticed those before. On closer inspection... ewwww. Ghastly things.