Why become a member? ×

Mexican Fender Precisions

Lozz196

• 2 weeks later...

Well an update - I`ve gone and bought a couple (one for regular use, one as backup), and used one at gigs over the weekend (with provided rigs) and finally at rehearsal last night with my own rig. And am soooooo pleased - the sound was excellent, exactly what I`ve been trying to get, absolutely spot-on, sits really aggressively in the mix but without a harsh top end. Playability is great, build quality is great, it just shows that sometimes you have to trust your instincts, or in this case, ears.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1434527197' post='2800349']
Well an update - I`ve gone and bought a couple (one for regular use, one as backup), and used one at gigs over the weekend (with provided rigs) and finally at rehearsal last night with my own rig. And am soooooo pleased - the sound was excellent, exactly what I`ve been trying to get, absolutely spot-on, sits really aggressively in the mix but without a harsh top end. Playability is great, build quality is great, it just shows that sometimes you have to trust your instincts, or in this case, ears.
[/quote]which ones did you get?

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1434529670' post='2800375']
Gents,I am looking to buy one too but can`t make up my mind which one?
[/quote]

Just try a few, and pick the one you prefer SH73

I tried several Mex Fenders over the years
Some of the older ones didn't quite "feel" right
In that the neck edges weren't too well finished
Others felt much better

Recently played a new MIM Jazz, and didn't like that as much as a 2nd hand one around 6 or 7 years old
So I guess, the same as every other manufacturer, there are good years and bad years
and good & bad batches...

I'd say if you're on the hunt for a Mex Fender,
my own recommendation would be to try a Roadworn
I have a RW Jazz, and it's the best Bass Guitar I've ever played
Of course, it ticks all my boxes, and is comfortable for me..... mightn't be to everyones taste
But it looks, feels and sounds superb IMO

I haven't tried a RW Precision, but they are highly regarded
and if it's as good as my RW Jazz - Just get one is all I'm saying ;)

Good luck with your search
try as many as you can, and don't just buy the 1st one that comes along
... unless it just immediately smacks you in the face as the best you've played

[/quote]

But haven't they both got those rotten old maple boards?

You should have got Rosewood :D

My precision is both all maple neck and made in USA. I like the feel of it and the sound it makes. It wouldn't bother me if it felt and sounded the same but happened to have 'made in mexico' on it, or 'Squier' come to that. It's just a tool.

TBH IMO etc.... so much of the tone comes from what you are playing the bass through that a P Bass is a P Bass and there will be some difference tonally, but playability is far more important than the tone of the individual P Bass. Once you put it in the mix you'll hear a P Bass tone, it just depends what it's running through and how the sound is set up that will really control where it sits in the mix. Obviously a massively generalised opinion.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1434532020' post='2800417']
But haven't they both got those rotten old maple boards?

You should have got Rosewood :D
[/quote]

They do indeed Gary - further proof that it`s "in the mix" what really counts, as on the day I preferred all the rosewood boards to maple. It`s like the age old Kylie/Danni thing - you know that the science/common sense says Kylie, but.......

[/quote]

Obviously some pictures would go down a treat!

My MIM's are amazing basses and I will put them against any MIA or MIJ any day of the week.

I have a Reggie Hamilton Sig Jazz Bass, RW Jazz Bass and a rare Precision Bass Jr (short-scale) and they all kick some serious butt.

I bought a new MIM Precision recently and I absolutely love it. It play well, sounds great (to my relatively untrained ear) and the fit and finish are excellent. I also have a 2007 MIM Jazz, which is basically just as good, although I did find the pickups a bit lacklustre, and the pots don't feel as good as on the P.

I also have a MIM strat from 2003, and a 2006 MIA Tele. Even through I love the Tele, I have to say that it's the only one that I've found a quality issue with, although I am being very picky about it.

Conversely I saw an new American Standard P in a store recently, and the bridge looked like it was at least 5 or 10 degrees off kilter. It did put me off thinking about buying a MIA bass - if the people assembling and QC'ing them aren't spotting things like that then who knows what else is going on.

I'm having a massive sense of deja vu now - apologies if I've spouted all this in another recent thread...

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1433426842' post='2790984']
ive got a 2004 (i think) MIM '57 reissue and apart from seeming to have back to front tuning pegs (a funny quirk) it sounds and feels as good as any american jazz i have played. mexican fenders really have caught up in quality of workmanship
[/quote]

That would be the vintage-correct reverse tuners!

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1434532920' post='2800437']
TBH IMO etc.... so much of the tone comes from what you are playing the bass through that a P Bass is a P Bass and there will be some difference tonally, but playability is far more important than the tone of the individual P Bass. Once you put it in the mix you'll hear a P Bass tone, it just depends what it's running through and how the sound is set up that will really control where it sits in the mix. Obviously a massively generalised opinion.
[/quote] not so

I have seen chris Clarke playing bass with Danny and the champions of the world 3 x and on the last occasion, this week, he was using a jv squire p bass instead of his 60's p bass - same rig, same fingers but the squire lacked the punch/attack of the fender and was further down in the mix

Now I like jv's but the fender in Chris's hands was a superior beast that no amount of eq'ing could counter

Edited by gareth

I have a fairly old MIM Fender Precision, i'd say roughly early 00's that I swapped with another bass a while ago. Although I enjoy it's sound (i've put flatwounds on for old skool thump too) It's just doesn't get used enough as my main bass (Ibanez SR1205) is just far superior. I may see if I can swap my fender for a fretless bass.

I have mim geddy Lee sunburst love it the only issue I had with was neck pup lose wire from volume pot they are a must try buy. Over a American you have to justify the price difference by playability I do have a thomman special pj. Mia is well crafted