Why become a member? ×

Mexican Fender Precisions

Lozz196

I really love the MIM stuff from Fender at the moment. I've not tried the basses but I have a MIM Strat (I came to bass via guitar) and it's fantastic. When I bought it I was not really constrained by budget and tried everything in the range right up to custom shop models and I honestly loved the MIM the most. Like anything its a case of try before you buy as one of the MIM strats I tried was pretty dead sounding but if you can find a good one they are real gems. I would imagine the same can be said for Fender's bass range. Indeed, an upgrade from my Squire to a MIM P-bass is something I plan to do in short order.

Edited by Naetharu

Ok, mine is a 2009 model but when I got it & it was stock, it was a country mile away from the 2012 U.S. P I sold in January in both sound & playability. With a few mods & some fettling, it's there now mind.

Fenders model range is vast & obviously I've not tried them all, but i've played & owned quite a few over the years. From what I've seen, the generally accepted Fender hierarchy of US / Jap / MiM / Squier rings true.

I'll own up to being a Fender fan boy though & think that at their various price points, their models stack up very well!

All 3 of my Fender's are Mex, all three play exceptionally well.
So much so that in the last year, I've sold a couple of unmentionables, an Alembic, a Sadowsky, 2 SEI's plus my US basses.
Guess I've just got lucky with 3 exceptional basses.

Mind one of them is up for sale to fund a 1 pup unmentionable :rolleyes: :lol:.

I say it again. MiM since 2009ish onwards are a vastly superior instrument to the previous years (on the whole). I definitely think in my experience that the Mexican range should actually garner a bit more respect these days. Especially the roadworns.

The Roadworns are fantastic, and have a real vibe about them. Lightweight, played-in feel, low action, incredibly resonant. Probably a better instrument than my JV squier in terms of feel, although they do feel different. Both cracking basses mind, and both better to play than my old 2005 USA P. The USA was great, but didn't have anywhere near the level of playability.

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1433005630' post='2787008']
I say it again. MiM since 2009ish onwards are a vastly superior instrument to the previous years (on the whole). I definitely think in my experience that the Mexican range should actually garner a bit more respect these days. Especially the roadworns.
[/quote]

That`s it. After listening to said bassists I spoke to them and said how great I thought their tone was. Virtually all said "it`s only a Mexican", almost apologetically, or like they were embarrassed to admit it. Not in my book - if an instrument sounds great it sounds great, where it`s made doesn`t really count.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1433017423' post='2787158']

That`s it. After listening to said bassists I spoke to them and said how great I thought their tone was. Virtually all said "it`s only a Mexican", almost apologetically, or like they were embarrassed to admit it. Not in my book - if an instrument sounds great it sounds great, where it`s made doesn`t really count.
[/quote]

Herts Bash P-bass challenge. 'Nuff said really.

I haven't played that many US Fenders, but I wasn't bowled over by the ones I have. To this day the best two Fender basses I've played are the Roadworn Mike Dirnt P (incredible neck, amazing tone) and my Hoppus P. Both Mexican made.

My main bass has been a MIM P for most of the past 11 years. It was always good. However, the wonderful neck went bad. Now it wears an American Special Jazz neck, and is as playable as anything I've ever picked up. It has a USA pickup, but it never sounded any different with it, so I never bothered to swap it back.

Well I`m a bit confused, I love the sound of my two 78 Precisions, much more than the US Standard I`ve just sold, yet the MIMs sound soooo good. I`m not bothered about taking a 78 Precision out to gig with, that`s what they`re there for, but I`m really considering going down the MIM route. The scenario in my original post has happened too often for it to be coincidence - and we`re talking named bands as well, not only weekend warriors like myself. My ears obviously love the tone of the MIMs. And have to say, having had a couple of the post 2008 ones, they`re darn good players too.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1433106320' post='2787951']
Well I`m a bit confused, I love the sound of my two 78 Precisions, much more than the US Standard I`ve just sold, yet the MIMs sound soooo good. I`m not bothered about taking a 78 Precision out to gig with, that`s what they`re there for, but I`m really considering going down the MIM route. The scenario in my original post has happened too often for it to be coincidence - and we`re talking named bands as well, not only weekend warriors like myself. My ears obviously love the tone of the MIMs. And have to say, having had a couple of the post 2008 ones, they`re darn good players too.
[/quote]

Maybe you should pick up Karl's Dee Dee bass as a tester! Or one of these:

http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/basses/jazz-bass/mark-hoppus-jazz-bass-rosewood-fingerboard-white-blonde/

I've had my 2005 MIM Precision for a couple of years now. Until recently it has been exclusively with flatwounds for the old school thump and didn't get much air time, but recently I put some D'Addario EXLs on it, that's better ! I was going to replace the pickup until I checked out some comparison videos online and found the best one sounded pretty much like mine did already. Nothing to be improved on.

Mine is a 2014 white MIM-P bass and there is nothing to alter on it, the pickup is very loud, I've had a few of these but this one is just amazing! Better than any US I've had.

The only problem is the weight at just on 9lbs, I can't bloomin' well use it because of my back, bollox :angry:

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1433317827' post='2789939']
Mine is a 2014 white MIM-P bass and there is nothing to alter on it, the pickup is very loud, I've had a few of these but this one is just amazing! Better than any US I've had.

The only problem is the weight at just on 9lbs, I can't bloomin' well use it because of my back, bollox :angry:
[/quote]

Interesting Tom, I have to back off the amp gain a bit with my Dee Dee as it clips quite a bit sooner than the Road Worn Jazz, so that is quite a powerful pick up as well.

Why are you hanging 9lb off your back bollox? Can I be your manager :lol: