Why become a member? ×

Quick question! Will this blow my amp up?!

Astoroth

I have a Hartke Kilo that the manual states each 500W channel has a minimum load of 2ohms so.....

Would I be safe to run a HX410 (8ohms) cab + HX115 (8ohms) cab on each channel, which if I've read it right makes that 4ohms load per channel.

It's really for cosmetic reasons at a local festival where I'm lending my gear to be used on the main stage, luckily I have 2 Hartke Kilo rigs and thought it might look good even though I'm just using 1 Kilo Amp.

All the best,

Rich

You have 500w per channel done to 2ohms...
so that means you can run two ohms loads per side
but you haven't got the cabs for that, so I'd run bridged
which means both your cabs run together would be
a 4 ohms load in the bridge mode and the amp will
'deliver' 1000w into 4.

No point running stereo as 500 into 2 means your load will not produce much power..
so I can see that the stereo load meaning your amp is running less than 200w into your cabs..?
I don't know why anyone would set it up to do this...???

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1432927388' post='2786371']
You have 500w per channel done to 2ohms...
so that means you can run two ohms loads per side
but you haven't got the cabs for that, so I'd run bridged
which means both your cabs run together would be
a 4 ohms load in the bridge mode and the amp will
'deliver' 1000w into 4.

No point running stereo as 500 into 2 means your load will not produce much power..
so I can see that the stereo load meaning your amp is running less than 200w into your cabs..?
I don't know why anyone would set it up to do this...???
[/quote]

In bridged mode there is only one speaker output so surely 4 x 8ohms cabs would bring the load down to 2ohms, lower than the minimum of 4ohms in bridged mode?

Sorry, didn't read that as 4 cabs..???
You running 1x410 plus 115 per side..?
Yes, in that case, you'd have a load of 2 ohms which your amp wont bridge at..
In that case, I would run 2x500 at 4 ( more like 350w/4... IF I wanted to carry 4 cabs.

Apart from the visual, I'd still run bridged into 4 ohms.... and 2 cabs at 8ohms would give you that.
Saves carrying two extra cabs.... and 4 cabs on stage is there for effect, IMO.

The rig you're suggesting is well within the spec for both amp and cabs. There are no downsides to connecting all four cabs in the way you're wanting. The stack will be massive, and will fill quite a fair chunk of the backline space. The sound on stage will be fine, and I'd assume there'll be FOH, too..? Go for it; just be present to make sure no-one plays silly beggars, although there's little danger of damage except physically throwing down the stack. No problems; have a good time. Well done for helping out the organisation in such a way; kudos. Tell us how it transpires, please (with photos..?)..?

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1432929572' post='2786401']
Sorry, didn't read that as 4 cabs..???...
[/quote]

Do the maths again; each cab is, apparently, 8 ohms, so 4 ohms 'seen' by each channel. No problem with running like that, either for the amp nor the cabs. Part of the idea is, indeed, to present an impressive backline. Should do the trick, I reckon.

No problem, I'll post some pics Sunday...should look/sound awesome...just a pity my band isn't playing at the festival....however the company I run with one of my band members are doing all the filming and broadcasting it all live via internet radio.

Its the Witney Music Festival which runs over 1 week each year, it's be running for many years now but this is the 2nd year that they've managed to use the local park to have a big stage etc.

If any of you want to listen, the internet radio broadcast will be live from 12 midday tomorrow (30th May), just go to [url="https://www.oxbox.tv"]www.oxbox.tv [/url]and click on the radio button.

Thanks to all of you for your help....I'll try to get the guys to film more than just the Hartke :)

Rich

Edited by Astoroth

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1432930019' post='2786412']
Do the maths again; each cab is, apparently, 8 ohms, so 4 ohms 'seen' by each channel. No problem with running like that, either for the amp nor the cabs. Part of the idea is, indeed, to present an impressive backline. Should do the trick, I reckon.
[/quote]

sure, but it wasn't crystal clear that there were 4 cabs in the first post...
so my first answer is relates to 2 cabs.

If you are going for visual and have 2 heads... run them as 2 bass rigs... or just don't bother connecting up the 2nd pr.
Noone is going to want that much bass of stage sound-wise.

If you are taking 4 cabs, then I expect the 2nd amp will be there as a spare anyway..?? it isn't going to take up much room in the grand
scheme of things.