Why become a member? ×

Old Trafford Cricket Ground...not a music venue...

Muzz

Went to see the Foo Fighters last night at the Old Trafford Cricket Ground - that place is about as suited to gigs as the Apollo would be to a game of cricket...

It was Godawful - the worst sound I've ever heard in a 'stadium' - and that's saying something - the swirling wind didn't help, but God Almighty, it was poor. No bass other than a dull thud, harsh barky mids and fizzy treble. Sound bouncing off the stands around the field itself and satellite speakers producing some horrible out of phase sounds, too. And some commercial genius decided concession stands are perfectly fine situated in the crowd - sight lines massively obstructed. A really poor atmosphere, too. I think they were banking on people drinking enough to pay to watch Dave G on TV and not notice how poor the whole experience was. :angry:

We lasted an hour before sacking it and going home.

I can only offer the advice not to bother going if you've any interest in decent sound (or sight, other than the TV screens) for a band. On the other hand, if you fancy standing 150 yards from the stage, holding your phone in the air, knock yourselves out... :( ;)

As I say, more venue related - the issues were the shape of the place, reflections, the PA placing, etc - I have a good friend who went to Sunderland on Monday and said the sound there was much better.

Yeah, not the biggest fan here, but they played pretty flawlessly, etc - typical enormo-gig performance.

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1432826378' post='2785353']
As I say, more venue related - the issues were the shape of the place, reflections, the PA placing, etc - I have a good friend who went to Sunderland on Monday and said the sound there was much better.
[/quote]

I agree - the Foos at Sunderland ranks in my top five gigs (and I've seen a few in my time). The vocals were low in the mix for a couple of songs but otherwise an excellent mix at the right volume.

The venue managed the impressive trick of making the sound barkingly, harshly loud and also muddily indistinct at the same time...clever stuff... :unsure: :rolleyes:

Edited by Muzz

I think the problem with Old Trafford CC is down to the recent development. There have been some massive concerts there and I've never heard any bad press. Originally at least 2/3 of the ground was open, with just the Clubhouse and a large stand at one end.
Since they developed it, (so as to get a Test Match), it is just like a "bowl"

MB1.
Saw Jamiroquai at the
The MEN arena or whatever it's called these days?
and I agree
Dreadful sound
That experience has put me off going to other gigs at that venue.
Trafford Cricket Club
Was informed REMs sound was atrocious many moons ago
Obviously it hasn't got any better?
Apollo Academy Lowry... All Good in previous experience
Turf out those guests and bring back The Free Trade Hall (sadly now a hotel)
You know it makes sense!

A bowl might have helped - the bigger problem is it's just a flat space with huge slab-sided stands around it, mostly. I've been there before and don't recall major sound problems, but as you say, it was a lot different. I believe last night they were going for 50,000, though from the number of empty seats, the space on the pitch and the hordes of desperate touts outside, they fell rather short...

Been to some good-sounding MEN gigs, tho as you say MB: Apollo Academy and Lowry are always good, or at least as good as the soundman. The Ritz, too - not seen a bad one there. The best-sounding venue in Manchester, though, is the Bridgewater. Went to see Burt Bacharach there, and it sounded perfect.

Not a fan .I have bought the first 3 Albums in the hmv sale , but never play them.
However, going to outdoor gigs o expect crap sound . If it isn't its a bonus .

The black sabbath gig was good in Hyde park last year for most of it . To me, that's a rare occasion when it does work.
Even at twickenham ..maiden played a blinder!
Sound was inaudible from where I was.
Standing somewhere else , it could've been great.
The bigger the venue , the bigger the probs.
Hammy odeon is perfect size, but more often than not its the O2 , which is spectacular IMHO

Muzz'
Been to some good-sounding MEN gigs, tho as you say MB: Apollo Academy and Lowry are always good, or at least as good as the soundman. The Ritz, too - not seen a bad one there. The best-sounding venue in Manchester, though, is the Bridgewater. Went to see Burt Bacharach there, and it sounded perfect.

MB1.
Ah forgot about The Ritz ,Yes good again!
Haven't been to The Bridgewater but that's the Home of the Halle (as was the Free Trade Hall) so it should be good!
As for the songs of Burt Bacharach they'd still sound good through two bean cans connected with a piece of string (must try that!).

I live in Manchester and am never going to another MEN gig at all, I much prefer to spend my time in smaller venues supporting smaller artists and venues that actually care about the experience, like The Ruby Lounge, The Deaf Institute, The Albert Hall etc.

I could hear it from home in Stockport through closed double glazed windows so it must have been pretty damn loud!!

Agree with the general consensus, the enormous venues around manchester won't be getting my money again. I retired after another adventure in crap noise a few years ago with RHCP at the MEN arena.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1432825198' post='2785335']
Went to see the Foo Fighters last night at the Old Trafford Cricket Ground - that place is about as suited to gigs as the Apollo would be to a game of cricket...

It was Godawful - the worst sound I've ever heard in a 'stadium' - and that's saying something - the swirling wind didn't help, but God Almighty, it was poor. No bass other than a dull thud, harsh barky mids and fizzy treble. Sound bouncing off the stands around the field itself and satellite speakers producing some horrible out of phase sounds, too. And some commercial genius decided concession stands are perfectly fine situated in the crowd - sight lines massively obstructed. A really poor atmosphere, too. I think they were banking on people drinking enough to pay to watch Dave G on TV and not notice how poor the whole experience was. :angry:

We lasted an hour before sacking it and going home.

I can only offer the advice not to bother going if you've any interest in decent sound (or sight, other than the TV screens) for a band. On the other hand, if you fancy standing 150 yards from the stage, holding your phone in the air, knock yourselves out... :( ;)
[/quote]Another mega-band who give a massive sh1t about the punter experience (not).

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1432827156' post='2785372']
A bowl might have helped - the bigger problem is it's just a flat space with huge slab-sided stands around it, mostly. I've been there before and don't recall major sound problems, but as you say, it was a lot different. I believe last night they were going for 50,000, though from the number of empty seats, the space on the pitch and the hordes of desperate touts outside, they fell rather short...
[/quote]Poorly treated punters finally rapping their hands in and voting with their feet?

I was there last night - the sound wasn't great but it didn't sound too bad where we were stood I was more annoyed about the massive tents covering the sound engineers right in the middle of the pitch ... You couldn't see anything at all unless you were squashed to one side or the other.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1432840684' post='2785557']
Poorly treated punters finally rapping their hands in and voting with their feet?
[/quote]
Hopefully that means all the a$$holes that purchased tickets with no intention of going to the gig and just reselling for massive profit were left out of pocket. Hopefully.

Agree with all the comments made re layout and I can understand that the sound and view will be different depending upon where you are stood but just to put some positivity into this I managed to get a great view and the sound was unbelievably good where I was. I thought the Foos put on a great show and for me it was one of the best gigs i've been to (and i've seen a few). The forecast rain held off, I parked up easily (local school on the outskirts) and drove straight off the carpark into little traffic. The gig finished at 10:30 and I was at home in Bolton before 11:30. So a great night for me however I totally get that I was extremely lucky for everything to fall into place.

I'm surprised any of you guys go to these big gigs anymore. I generally go to smaller venues and pubs these days to support smaller bands and because it's more enjoyable seeing the band's faces rather than dots in the distance.

Last big gig I went to was Peter Gabriel at the MEN but that was because I was unexpectedly in Manchester working and at a loose end that evening. Have to say the sound was good, but I doubt Peter would ever settle for anything less.

Also not a fan of crowds which leaves festivals out too.

Edited by Mr Arkadin

My girlfriend saw the Foo Fighters at the Radio One Big Weekend, and she said it was the best atmopshere she has ever experienced.

Personally I dont like big out door gigs because of the sound mix. I dont think its just the Foo Fighters, I just think its big out door venues that are crap.