Why become a member? ×

Reducing neckdive?

ChunkyMunky

Hey, all.

As you all know, I love my Bongo to bits however, there's a slight problem with it. When I sit down to practice (bearing in mind that I practice in a 'classical' positioning) and use a strap to hold the weight up. My 5Hs is a heavy beast as it is and the neck dive is stupid. I can barely practice using it and I'm trying to maintain the Gary Willis style of picking, so I can't do any weight transfer in my arm to stabilize the balance. It could well be my foamy Mono strap, however... If anyone can help me with some advice regarding this, I'd be rather happy. Thanks, all! :)

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1432772123' post='2784933']
A weighted strap, lighter tunes, OR the secret trick, of putting some adhesive tire weights in the control cavity ;)
[/quote]

Wouldn't that potentially bugger around with the electronics in the cavity? Anyway, the strap is up for sale in my signature. :)

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1432769227' post='2784922']
Yep, or a Comfort Strapp with a foamy type back.
[/quote]

+1
The grippy neoprene pad may help.

Or as per the other suggestions lighten the headstock (lighter tuners) and/or increase the weight at the bridge end and/or try to relocate the neck strap button further away from the bridge

Hey, all.

The idea of changing the tuners is a bit far for me. I love the bass as it is and I don't fancy altering it, if I have to. Could anyone recommend me a fantastic wide strap at all, please? Heck, I even considered getting backing into bodybuilding so I can use it properly again. :)

[quote name='ChunkyMunky' timestamp='1432843951' post='2785606']
Hey, all.

The idea of changing the tuners is a bit far for me. I love the bass as it is and I don't fancy altering it, if I have to. Could anyone recommend me a fantastic wide strap at all, please? Heck, I even considered getting backing into bodybuilding so I can use it properly again. :)
[/quote]

Comfort Strapp - it's a brand, check it out :) I wouldn't use anything else now

[quote name='ChunkyMunky' timestamp='1432843951' post='2785606']
Hey, all.

[/quote]

I understand, but the Gotoh GBR640's I fitted to my Precision cured neck dive completely and were an OE fit. Stupidly light compared to the originals. I've no idea if Gotoh do a Resolite MM style tuner, but if you wanted a permanent solution that doesn't involve making the bass heavier, I'd recommend it.

:)

[quote name='ChunkyMunky' timestamp='1432999232' post='2786933']
I may well have to do the disgusting and get different tuners...
[/quote]

Not a terrible idea - as long as you can find something that'll just pop on and be reversible.
I'd recommend getting a comfy strap anyway - you'll be very unlikely to regret it!

Tuners: You might seek out some G&L tuners with the aluminium posts. They do come up from time to time on the well known internet auction site and (I think) are the same size.

Strap: I just get wide leather strip and punch own holes for straplocka / strap buttons - easy to get leather with rough back - way cheaper than 'name brand' straps

And the other 'hidden' factor - the shirt you wear. Just like straps some are better than others at gripping and preventing neck dive.

Have you tried tying loop of fishing line around the strap button and another loop around your right foot. Get it tight and it'll hold everything nice and steady. Plus if you can mic it up you've got another instrument to contribute to performances with. Just putting that out there.