Why become a member? ×

EHX Bass Soul Food overdrive

mcnach

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1436978583' post='2822537']
Just ordered one of these from GAK as I needed a distortion pedal for when my band covers Ace Of Spades (just doesn't quite work with a clean sound). After watching the various YouTube demos and reading this thread though, I'm now thinking I may actually use it as an always on pedal for warmth and growl and just crank it when I need a full on overdriven sound.
Should arrive tomorrow so looking forward to having a play with it at Saturday nights gig!
[/quote]

I'm using the ehx glove for that lemmy drive tone (in my situation it nails it!), and the bsf as always on grit.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1437001951' post='2822830']

I'm not sure it would be the right noise for Ace of Spades, its strength lies in lower gain sounds. But with the treble knob up a bit you do get a pretty dirty sound, who knows? Let us know how you find it!
[/quote]

Cranking up the treble was what I had planned. To be fair though, either way, it's gotta be better than the fully clean sound I've had to use till now.

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1437041300' post='2822978']

I'm using the ehx glove for that lemmy drive tone (in my situation it nails it!), and the bsf as always on grit.
[/quote]

Dammit, does that mean I'll have to GAS for a Glove now!? Oh well, at least they're not too pricey.

This pedal is based on their VERY popular Klon Centaur clone for guitar. The guitar version really is transparent. I love it. For the price compared to the Klon, it is a no-brainer. It is not, on the guitar side, about high gain, it is more about a transparent clean boost that can lead to superb overdrive. When it starts to breakup it sounds great. I would now like to try the bass version!

Well I got to try it out last night and I absolutely love this pedal!
I found that pushing the drive right up and rolling the treble right back with the blend at 12 o'clock gave me a lovely smooth, warm low end growl with my P bass that sounded so good in the mix.
Funnily enough it didn't seem to agree quite as well with my Jazz for that always on sound, but they did go together nicely for a dirtier sound. Drive and treble both at 3 o'clock and blend all the way up - wasn't quite at Lemmy levels of dirt to be fair but it was plenty nasty enough for my needs and the bass intro to Ace of Spades was somehow much more recognisable than it had been previously played clean.
Overall I'd say that it's lower levels of grit that this pedal does best but it can still step up for dirtier sounds if needed.

Edited by Painy

[quote name='Stag' timestamp='1437323678' post='2825081']
Painy, how do you actually have space to operate pedals at Bierhaus? :)
[/quote]

Normally you'd have no hope but as of next week's gig there, we're using their bass bins instead of ours so I'm gonna fill up the space we'll save with pedals 😄!

• 3 weeks later...

just got this and having gone through lots of other more pricey overdrives (bb,cog, darkglass) I wasn't expecting to much for £60................wow! through a tube amp this thing is wonderful sounding (for me) very cutting and clear.i think it will be my number 1 medium overdrive.
Others have said a blend is a bit pointless on a mid overdrive but i think its the key to the SF's sound.

nicely impressed :-)

[quote name='danbowskill' timestamp='1439120009' post='2840124']
just got this and having gone through lots of other more pricey overdrives (bb,cog, darkglass) I wasn't expecting to much for £60................wow! through a tube amp this thing is wonderful sounding (for me) very cutting and clear.i think it will be my number 1 medium overdrive.
Others have said a blend is a bit pointless on a mid overdrive but i think its the key to the SF's sound.

nicely impressed :-)
[/quote]

So in your opinion, how does this compare to the B3K?

I owned the Darkglass VMT ,i prefer the soul food as it has a lot less colouring to the sound .it was Long time ago i played a B3K .....quite a differnt sound,the sf has more a mid punch yet they can both give you that glassy high.

Edited by danbowskill

• 2 weeks later...

First rehearsal with the Soul Food last night with encouraging results. I don't usually use OD but this sounded very useable with my Status, Momark head and (borrowed) Ampeg 4x10 so looking forward to gigging with it on Saturday. There's definitely more mid presence (which I like) and i think this will be ideal for the rock covers my band does. Well worth £60 IMO. 😎

Edited by gazhowe

[quote name='danbowskill' timestamp='1440533224' post='2851726']
no way...it does mention overloading in the manual,but i just though it precautionary. thats a bit crap
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm pretty miffed to be honest, mainly cos it a great little pedal which I no longer own. I guess repair's an option, but it's SMT so not easy.

A little research later and it seems the 7660 converter really doesn't like overvoltage one bit.

Not been my week :(

[quote name='danbowskill' timestamp='1440534868' post='2851757']
bummer mate,warranty still an option?
[/quote]

Possibly... I got it as a B-stock from a online shop, can't remember who....just need to find the emails !!

EDIT: Thing is, I unplugged the Soul Food to rearrange my pedalboard to see if I could fit another pedal in....and now I can. Hmmm.

Edited by ahpook