Why become a member? ×

Opinions and advice on a new bass

lowhand_mike

I'm sure i'll get alot of mixed opinions here on this but i am thinking of a new bass, 5 string is where i'm going. Not that a i really need one as my band doesnt play anysongs yet that require the lower register but i feel it doe give us the opportunity of doing songs in a register that our singer can sing.
I currently own an Ibanez SR500, bought back in 2007/8 so it has the wenge/bubinga neck that you now find on the more expensive models (this will make sense in a bit)
Ive had spector GAS for a while and have gone for the Rebop 5 string as thats really the only one in my price range (Thomann) and i havent found one near to try out.
The others are Ibanez soundgears, theres 3 in the same price bracket, the Ibanez SR1805-NTF, Ibanez SR1205-VNF and Ibanez SR1405T-VNF (neck through). (All wenge bubinga necks various body woods)

So just wondering what to choose or and suggestions from you guys, the ibanez all seem very similar and all come with hard/soft case so i'm intered in what the difference is, i'd need to buy a case for the Spector.
Or anything else i should look at

Edited by lowhand_mike

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1432657072' post='2783671']
Nice looking Spector 5-string on here at the moment:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/262753-2013-spector-mike-kroeger-signature/"]http://basschat.co.u...eger-signature/[/url]
[/quote]

thanks but i'm not after a passive bass

I currently own an Ibanez SR1205 and I personally feel it's one of the best basses i've ever played. I personally love the small string spacing (which i know is a marmite thing for some players) but the body is balanced, light weight, ergonomic and the big singles sound fantastic. If I had the money I would definitely upgrade to the prestige SR5006 just because I really enjoy the SR range.

should really expand on what i'm after, i love the tones i get from my SR500 but want a more grown up bass with a bit more growl as the 500 is very smooth, i know the Rebop does aggressive and from the reviews of the 1805 its supposed to have a more aggresive character so the other 2 should do too as they have the same pickups and i think the EQ is the same, just different woods, tbh i'm suprised the neck through is soo much less than the 1805

[quote name='Modman' timestamp='1432660532' post='2783719']
I currently own an Ibanez SR1205 and I personally feel it's one of the best basses i've ever played. I personally love the small string spacing (which i know is a marmite thing for some players) but the body is balanced, light weight, ergonomic and the big singles sound fantastic. If I had the money I would definitely upgrade to the prestige SR5006 just because I really enjoy the SR range.
[/quote]
i'd love to go prestige but its way beyond my funds, even the ones i've listed are pushing it

I,ve just bought a Rebop 5 from Thomann and apart from the extremely slow service (ordered thurs at 0900,arrived 8 days later a day to process 4 days in German postal office a couple of days with Parcelfarce 24 express (i never use this lot they are expensive and usually 3 days for 24 hour delivery). And its nearly 300 quid less than U.K prices.
Anyway the bass is out there straight out of the box it growls and oozes quality, its light and beautifully put together almost as good as my Forte 4.
bris

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1432656707' post='2783665']
i am thinking of a new bass, 5 string is where i'm going. [b]Not that a i really need one as my band doesnt play anysongs yet that require the lower register [/b]
[/quote]

That shouldn't stop you.

+1

I don't see the point of an active Precision. It's not supposed to be a versatile instrument. It's a P! My passive 5 string P bass does [i]that[/i] tone better than any other bass I've played.

On the other hand, I would go active on a Jazz or other 2 pickup bass. IMO the dynamics and breadth of tone only gets better with a pre amp and better still with 5 strings.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1432709208' post='2784046']
Is there a reason you don't want a passive bass?

I was playing a Precision with EMGs and 2 band EQ until the beginning of the year but am now using a passive Yamaha. I don't miss having the active EQ.
[/quote]

it a mental thing i geuss and i have a passive squire affinity jazz but that really just hangs on the wall, i've always used active basses and to me they have a little more zip to them, i also like having the boost as well as cut on the eq, passives are just cut

I'm also a big fan of Active basses so....Any of the ACG 5s that are for sale here....the filter systems mean that you can get them to do virtually any tone you'll ever need.

Or this:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/262751-fsft-roscoe-lg-custom-5-string-w-buckeye-burl-wenge-aguilar/

Has the (preferred) EMGs rather than the Barts fitted to some models...

JOOI what is your budget???

I haven't ever played a Cort A5 but from what I know about Cort built basses (I own a few) it ought to be well put together and be good value for money - you get a neck-thru design with 2 Bartolini pickups and a 3 band active EQ for around £600 - might be worth trying one if you can find an example.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1432728863' post='2784311']
I'm also a big fan of Active basses so....Any of the ACG 5s that are for sale here....the filter systems mean that you can get them to do virtually any tone you'll ever need.

Or this:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/262751-fsft-roscoe-lg-custom-5-string-w-buckeye-burl-wenge-aguilar/"]http://basschat.co.u...-wenge-aguilar/[/url]

Has the (preferred) EMGs rather than the Barts fitted to some models...

JOOI what is your budget???
[/quote]

that roscoe is awesome but waaayy outside my budget which is up to about £1000 but i'd like to come in below that

so ive discarded the 1205 as the other 2 seem better bang for buck, cant decide weather the neck through 1405 is better than the similarly priced but bolt on 1805, i'm assuming the woods on the 1805 push its price up but are neck through really better? or more bother?
still undecided on the rebop, i've seen people say it neck dives, the neck will be a bit more chunky than what i'm used to on the ibanez but the tone will be growly and different but with less tonal variation. Just worrying that despite the higher price the ibanez's will be toneally similar to my current SR.

questions questions

Edited by lowhand_mike

My advise would be if you can get to Bass Direct try the rebops they have in stock see if you like it and while your there try the secondhand Warwicks and for me the Dingwall Combustions they have in stock. If you are looking for a new bass I would always play one to save disappointment of not liking what you buy.

Edited by Joebethell

[quote name='Joebethell' timestamp='1433239737' post='2789154']
My advise would be if you can get to Bass Direct try the rebops they have in stock see if you like it and while your there try the secondhand Warwicks and for me the Dingwall Combustions they have in stock. If you are looking for a new bass I would always play one to save disappointment of not liking what you buy.
[/quote]
yeah understand the try before you buy and all that but bass direct is a bit far from me

+1 For "try before you buy". I've got several Ibanez sr's though and can vouch for the quality of the premium range. The 5 string necks are a joy and ultra stable with the kts rods.If you're after growl, the more maple the better!

[quote name='Joebethell' timestamp='1433271825' post='2789693']
Yeah it is a way I'm a lot closer and its a good hour and a half from me but a good excuse to make a day trip!

Just a thought unless you know of a shop closer that stocks what your after.
[/quote]

need to get over to denmark street and see what they have there, other than that there aren't many shops to choose from near me