Why become a member? ×

One tiny patch of carpet on the bare wooden stage...

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1432576600' post='2782902']
...and the drummer sticks his kit right in the middle.
[/quote]

Was it your turn for the tufted Wilton?

All drummers I know bring their own carpet and leave it in the car if there is carpet at the gig.

I would have been more surprised if he hadn't used it.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1432645873' post='2783517']
Also, why do drummers insist in setting up dead central. When you have three others in the back line, sometimes it's a bit of a struggle getting two lots of gear on one side of the kit. "I'm not moving it now. It's taken me ages to set up". Queue the three others grabbing said piece of carpet and moving the whole kit over.
[/quote]

If I turn up late and there isn't enough space on my side for two of us I tell them to move up. I am always surprised if I have to do this, as they are all intelligent and grown up people, who should be able to count and estimate by now.

Anyway, a lot of grumbling ensues, but I tell them if they were stupid enough not to remember how many people we have in the band and didn't leave enough room for all of us it's their problem.

A friend who is a very experienced live sound engineer favours in small spaces, having the drummer at one side, angled at 45 degrees out towards the audience, but also throwing sound across the stage, with the bass next to the drummer, and the guitars, keys on the other side, with vocals in the centre. He usually gets quite a bit of push back from new clients, but those that try it for the 'shoved in a corner at the Dog and Duck' type gigs frequently like it and find that it works well when you don't have room for many, if any, monitors. This is a situation where the drummer is playing unamplified, as are everyone but the vocals and perhaps keys (depending on the keyboardists gear).