Why become a member? ×

NBD - USA Fender Geddy Lee.

Iain

Had a major attack of GAS at the tail end of last week that coincided with pay-day, an altogether dangerous combination. My wife, rather than a voice of reason would better be classed as an 'enabler'...

US made, inspired in Canada.

Edited by Iain

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1432484706' post='2781908']If it is one, please tell me it's a terrible bass and you're going to send it right back......! :lol:[/quote]

It's a terrible bass and I'm going to send it back.

Feel better?

Just heading out to practice and the Dingwall's staying home for the evening...

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1432484853' post='2781910']
It's a terrible bass and I'm going to send it back.

Feel better?
[/quote]

Not yet! :D

Looking forward to a full report on this - and pics!

Where did you buy yours from? I've seen them quite 'well priced' (!) through Thomann at the mo, with the decent exchange rate.

Have a great night with it! :)

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1432484991' post='2781913']
Where did you buy yours from? I've seen them quite 'well priced' (!) through Thomann at the mo, with the decent exchange rate.

Have a great night with it! :)[/quote]

Popped up to PMTs Manchester store "just to see if I liked it"... Poor guy in the bass department hadn't had a chance to play it yet.

Practised with it last night and it was really great to play. Balance around the neck is perfect. Not the lightest bass but 3 hours of practise were okay so no issues for gigs.

Intonation on the D and E strings are a little off, A & G spot on @ 12th fret. It'll benefit from a proper set-up - it's really good out of the box but could do with a slight drop across the board.

Pick-ups are really quiet and great tonal options. I'll most likely play with both up fully and use the tone to take the edge off on some songs and the FX for bigger shaping though. Quite nice playing something so simple - my Dingwall almost has too much flexibility - great for recording but confuses my small brain live!

Overall finish is prefect - the neck inlays are beautiful and I love the way the neck binding covers the ends of each fret.

I'm a happy boy - will take some piccies later!

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1432555880' post='2782573']
Looks fab - how's the tone re Geddy's?

I love the growl he gets....that whole Tom Sawyer thing which for years, like many others, thought was a Ric!
[/quote]

It's great out of the box with no FX - just rolling the neck vol off a fraction really brings out the Geddy in it. Shame my playing's not that good! Going to have a fiddle with my SansAmp and see how close we can get to that tone though!

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1432559543' post='2782631']
How would you say it sounds against a standard jazz bass, if you've played one?

Just interested as to how the Geddy can justify the extra....I am tempted!
[/quote]

I've not played a standard US jazz so can't compare them and tonal differences would be down to preference anyway. I'm not sure if 'justifies' the extra - there are certainly some touches that explain some of the cost, some cosmetic some material if not all.

Question is to gig it this week which means taking the Dingwall as well (oh, the hardship) as one song needs the low C... I tried detuning the Jazz but it's just too much for the 105 E to handle.

Edited by Iain

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1432566331' post='2782723']
How does it compare to the Japanese version? I'm tempted by this bass now!
[/quote]

haven't played the MIJ one but the price difference is significant. The MIJ doesn't look as good either to me - the black inlays and binding overpower the maple to my eyes. Still supposed to be a great player though.

[quote name='cana.dan' timestamp='1432582894' post='2783036']I think it's kind of funny they call it a signature bass when it's missing the BadAss bridge that Geddy has on his.[/quote]

Original no longer in production so (apparently) Geddy worked with them to design this one. It's pretty solid compared to the standard. While I'm fairly geeky I'm not so bad that something like this would bother me. I suspect his 'original' doesn't have a pearloid scratch pate either.

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1432567474' post='2782737']
haven't played the MIJ one but the price difference is significant. The MIJ doesn't look as good either to me - the black inlays and binding overpower the maple to my eyes. Still supposed to be a great player though.
[/quote]

I love my MIJ--great in every way, and bought it from a bloke who'd paid full freight but reduced the price to sell it--new. Great all around.