Why become a member? ×

Disrespect

blue

The wife and I went to see seasick Steve at the Apollo in Hammersmith. He does his fair share of story telling between songs and got annoyed with a small group of people talking whilst he was. He went "you must have f***ing interesting jobs to pay for an evening out and still talk about them." They jeered back at him, so he reached down behind his monitor and produced a baseball bat, then tried to climb into the audience. Much to the respect of the rest of the venue!

Reminds me of a brilliant interaction with a punter at a gig once. We'd set up our PA and soundchecked, then as per request of the venue, put some fairly quiet music playing through the PA in the background (a range of hits from the 60's to the present day) and had gone to have a quiet game of pool in the pool room before the gig started. I can't remember exactly what artist had come on, it was perhaps Dizzee Rascal or something to that effect (not my scene). This one bigoted oaf came barging into the room, grabbed a cue, and demanded, in between a variety of threatening remarks, that we "turn that f***ing n****r music off right now".

Anyway, we put some Stevie Wonder on and he was happy as Larry.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1432469446' post='2781717']
I'm not sure respect is the right word...

I mean obviously no-one should have to deal with drunken idiots whilst they are out earning a living, but playing music isn't really something that commands respect is it? We're not out there saving lives or anything...
[/quote]

No playing music in bars doesn't command respect. I was really addressing disrespect and those that make a mockery of live music. Sort of like if someone came into an office goes up to someones desk and starts mocking what he's doing for a living.

Blue

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1432474589' post='2781788']
Good ole Keith, he really is THE man
[/quote]

I remember that, because I saw the Chicago date for that tour. I wonder what sort of legal issues evolved from that.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1432454845' post='2781510']
There is still no reason for a 21 year old that doesn't know what an electric guitar is to get up in my face and make a mock of me while I'm trying to make a living.

blue
[/quote]

Don't take it personally.

Most music venues sell alcohol. Inevitably some people end up acting like tools. Its not about you.

[quote name='Ziphoblat' timestamp='1432474392' post='2781781']
Reminds me of a brilliant interaction with a punter at a gig once. We'd set up our PA and soundchecked, then as per request of the venue, put some fairly quiet music playing through the PA in the background (a range of hits from the 60's to the present day) and had gone to have a quiet game of pool in the pool room before the gig started. I can't remember exactly what artist had come on, it was perhaps Dizzee Rascal or something to that effect (not my scene). This one bigoted oaf came barging into the room, grabbed a cue, and demanded, in between a variety of threatening remarks, that we "turn that f***ing n****r music off right now".

Anyway, we put some Stevie Wonder on and he was happy as Larry.
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1432477636' post='2781823']

No playing music in bars doesn't command respect. I was really addressing disrespect and those that make a mockery of live music. Sort of like if someone came into an office goes up to someones desk and starts mocking what he's doing for a living.

Blue
[/quote]

Yes it's totally unacceptable... It wouldn't be tolerated in an office and shouldn't be in a bar either.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1432485643' post='2781920']
Don't take it personally.

Most music venues sell alcohol. Inevitably some people end up acting like tools. Its not about you.
[/quote]

No, it's not about me and I shouldn't have used the drunk guy as an example. Maybe I should be more specific.

I am not talking about how we will always brush up against drunks, that goes with the territory.

I am talking about live rock music as a dying art form and someone specifically getting in your face and not necessarily drunk, telling you that what your doing is history, that what you and your band are doing is no longer relevant.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1432503254' post='2782182']
You dont think it looks 'staged' then ?
[/quote]

You know I always wondered if it was staged or if Keith was trippin.

Can't wait to see them next month. They are playing a very small outside venue in Milwaukee. It should be a blast.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1432500618' post='2782141']
No, it's not about me and I shouldn't have used the drunk guy as an example. Maybe I should be more specific.

I am not talking about how we will always brush up against drunks, that goes with the territory.

I am talking about live rock music as a dying art form and someone specifically getting in your face and not necessarily drunk, telling you that what your doing is history, that what you and your band are doing is no longer relevant.

Blue
[/quote]

Well, now that you've explained in detail exactly what your beef is, I must say that I've never actually experienced that at all. Maybe in the odd conversation away from a gig but certainly never [b][u]at [/u][/b]a gig. This is not down to living in France as it also applies to the 35 years prior to moving here.

Maybe it's a U.S thing ;)

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1432507073' post='2782229']
I went upstairs on the bus the other day and was accused of being disrespectful by some children sitting on the back seat.
[/quote]

Serves you right, you're supposed to keep your trousers on in public. :mellow:

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1432477636' post='2781823']

Blue
[/quote]

I live in Edinburgh. It's a big tourist destination and people from all around the world visit it all year around. All the tourists we perform to really enjoy the music we play (mainly Blues and Rock 'n' Roll) but the ones who are most enthusiastic are from the US. I think you just bumped up against a random idiot.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1432506311' post='2782222']
Well, now that you've explained in detail exactly what your beef is, I must say that I've never actually experienced that at all. Maybe in the odd conversation away from a gig but certainly never [b][u]at [/u][/b]a gig. This is not down to living in France as it also applies to the 35 years prior to moving here.

Maybe it's a U.S thing ;)
[/quote]

Could be, and I am only talking about 1 occurrence.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1432455665' post='2781520']
We don't play anything that caters to 21 year olds,

We can't control who wanders in to these bars. We play 70's style rock and some blues. The smart 20 somethings walk in and see what were playing and leave immediately. That's what I actually prefer. I prefer it to those that stay don't buy drinks and act stupid.
[/quote]

On Friday night, we played to an audience that through the first half consisted of upwards of fifty 18 year olds in fancy dress who'd been drinking since lunch time. They loved it, including songs like "I saw her standing there", "Pretty woman", and "Shakin' all over". All very well behaved - right up in front of us dancing (no stage, we were at floor level) but respecting the line of the monitors as their boundary. Quite surreal watching Shrek, Princess Fiona, Sleeping Beauty, and all sorts of others leaping up and down to "One Way or Another". Your 20-year-olds are obviously defective and you should return them for a refund.

To summarise: a young person (not noticeably intoxicated) approached the stage mid-gig and informed the OP that he and his band were 'no longer relevant' and that what they were doing was 'history'.

Frankly, I suspect the chap who approached Blue was possibly a Media Studies major expressing a moderate and balanced viewpoint. In recognition of the 'academic' tone of his observations one might lure the precocious young shaver to a deserted warehouse, mitigating the punishment to the amputation of a finger rather than administering the time-honoured bullet in the face.

We more - [i]mature [/i]- citizens should encourage the young to rehearse their thinking in public, always provided they understand that blood may flow and it won't be ours.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1432518028' post='2782277']We more - [i]mature [/i]- citizens should encourage the young to rehearse their thinking in public, always provided they understand that blood may flow and it won't be ours.[/quote]

Poetry. In the elevated skyline of skankscript that's another peak.

Everyone is going to have an opinion - I've met musicians and non-musicians who pour scorn loudly in an "all modern music is utter crap" manner, so it isn't really a suprise that some people are going to be of the opinion that "all old music is crap".

We've been here already many times, with each new generation regarding previous generations "cool" music as being irrelevant and deeply uncool. Whether you stick to your guns or change what you do to suit the times you'll never please everyone, so the only sensible option IMHO is to quit bitching and get on with it.

Art is supposed to provoke an emotional reaction - I would prefer someone to love or hate what I do than be indifferent.