Why become a member? ×

Oh crap, I think I might be a drummer after all

mrtcat

Having recently converted my workshop into a soundproof studio I have furnished it with all sorts of bits (guitars, amps, PC, monitors and drums). Now i have absolutely no inclination to pick up a six string guitar but I can't stop playing drums. It's so much fun and I love it. With the PC i have flown through a heap of youtube lessons and found it really easy so far. 6 weeks in and one of the guitarists I work with who's pretty decent has asked me if I want to join his band as a drummer.

I always wanted to play drums as a kid but my folks wouldnt let me have a kit or lessons so I gave up on the idea without ever picking up sticks. I've played bass for 23yrs now and love it but love the drums SO much more and would say I'm already close to being as good as a drummer as a bass player.

Anyone else ever found a new instrument by mistake?

I found i wasn't too bad with the sticks after messing around a few times. Not good enough to gig, but i don't have a kit to regularly play on or anything, so it's just pencils and a tabletop for me. Gotta be a proper acoustic kit too, none of these cheapo electric things.

Liam

Hats off to you all that can do it . Before I became part time at school, and virtually gave up, I was having clarinet lessons . Mum told me to take that noisy thing back.
Similar words anyway. In th Cubs , I was given a set of drumsticks to hold, and felt uncomfortable holding ghem the right way. Unfortunately , this meant I'm not gonna be a drummer. If you can do another instrument and you love it , just go for it .

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1432224815' post='2779430']...I was given a set of drumsticks to hold, and felt uncomfortable holding them the right way...
[/quote]

There's a right way..? Why wasn't I told..? :huh:

:lol:

Edited by Dad3353

Always fancied being a drummer - well as a kid anyway - I could never figure out what to hit when though - dabbled with Saxophone for a few years but transposing is a real nightmare - no "just slide up the fretboard a bit" - you have to learn every scale for every key separately...in comparison playing bass is relatively easy [i](taking cover from incoming abuse..)[/i]

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1432232797' post='2779565']
Always fancied being a drummer - well as a kid anyway - I could never figure out what to hit when though - dabbled with Saxophone for a few years but transposing is a real nightmare - no "just slide up the fretboard a bit" - you have to learn every scale for every key separately...in comparison playing bass is relatively easy [i](taking cover from incoming abuse..)[/i]
[/quote]

Plus we get to play in concert pitch - no extra level of thought when the bandleader says, "right, this one's in C," forces us to think, "ok, so that means I'm playing in A...oh no, crap, D, I'm playing tenor on this one!"

I started playing the drums unintentionally. I bought a kit off an ex bandmate cheap and was going to sell it on at a profit, Out of the blue I got a call from a guy saying his band needed a drummer & he'd heard I had a kit. I told him that I couldn't play - at all - and he said "that doesn't matter, come along and learn"!! So I did. That was in 1985 and I still play occasionally to this day.

Me too! I started with drums, but like the OP was told I wasn't allowed a kit in my house. So gave up once I left secondary school. Recently got given a Tama kit, and yes, it's soooo much fun.

Struggling with my fills at the moment though, blending them into the beats isn't always smooth.