Why become a member? ×

NGD - P90 at last

Bassnut62

Scored this pretty little USA 2010 Gibson LPJ today.
At last I have a guitar with a P90 in it.
Plays beautifully, perfectly balanced, nice neck, sounds great and I never knew you could so many different tones out of such a simple guitar......
Has a tummy cut on back too, which is v comfy!

Edited by Bassnut62

Great guitars that make you a better player by dint of their simplicity. Add to that the P90 being the most awesome of all pickups and you have a recipe for a lot of fun. Congrats and enjoy.

Its a wrap around with the lightning stripe bridge (see pic); so at least the string pivot points on the bridge are set in about the right place. You can do quite a lot of adjustments on this bridge too and the previous owner, who was a classical and Zappa fan and also v particular about intonation said he found he could maintain good intonation quite easily. But I know what you mean and I am a bit concerned about the reliability of its intonation too. However it's such a rocking guitar that I am pretty sure I won't be worrying about it too much.

It seems like an odd choice of guitar for someone (previous owner) who was into playing classical; but I guess the twist of Zappa makes it more understandable.

Edited by Bassnut62

IME so long as you stick to standard gauges and tuning intervals, the intonation problems are pretty much non-existent. It's only when you favour things like heavier bottom strings, wound Gs or playing permanently in tunings with different intervals between the strings that the limitations become apparent. For those that need more, there are drop-in replacement bridge/tailpiece combos that offer full intonation adjustment.

Yeah, I tend to use lots of non-standard stringing: unison drone strings and I've just started experimenting with all fourths tuning, so I just can't go near these, although adjustable versions are available so I'd probably have to change it. I have the same issue with Tele three-saddle bridges.

Edited by Mr Arkadin

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I watched a Stones gig on telly a while back and the best sound Keef had all night was from a mustard yellow one of these in Gimme Shelter.

Have always lusted after an LP Junior. Nearest I got was a P90 SG Special but i didn't really get on with it that well.

Yup, LPJ does sound fantastic. I fell in love with their sound when I saw a mate's band; the guitarist had a beautiful Les Paul and an LPJ, both proper and old Gibsons. The LPJ sounded so much better to me than the LP.